Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola "Droid Fighter" Pre-Release Thread

Feedback Score

Motorola "Droid Fighter" Pre-Release Thread

With all the rumor of a Droid Fighter could this be it? Looks to me like an early build of the Droid RAZR/Maxx. Anybody want to chime in a debunk or verify?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...roid-razr.html

Feedback Score
    I posted on this in the Vanquish thread. Maybe merge mine here if this is in fact a different phone. Motorola is wacked if they really are developing 2 new devices for soon to mid year. This one atleast seems like an ICS device with onscreen buttons and larger screen. Not sure about the Vanquish?? Or is this the Vanquish? That would be better if not two new devices unless the Vanquish is really low cost device.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Feedback Score
    I'm so glad I just got a Maxx not even a week ago and won't have ICS until who knows when I couldn't possibly go back to my OG Droid to wait again so I'm sticking with the Maxx. The Original Razr should have just been the fighter (if the rumored specs end up being correct). Coming from the OG Droid, the Maxx is even a bit thin for me anyway so I could care less about it being ultra thin. Releasing endless upgrades to the same phone months apart by upgrading one piece of hardware in each version is just silly IMO.

Feedback Score
    Guess any additional info on whatever this is must still be getting restricted pretty well. Usually there is some sorta code name and/or extra info dropped with leaked pictures. Well unless they leak WAY early. Seems there was stuff leaked on what probably became the RAZR before it even looked like a razr and was getting called the Droid HD with limited explanation by anyone. If that's the case, it could be awhile before we see this one.

This definitely reminds me of the Bionic and RAZR if this drops soon, but now between RAZR and this. Phones released less than 6 months apart that should have been one or the other. Someone needs to get the product development and marketing folks together and get a focused product pipeline plan worked up with minimal device count that has generational lines or Moto is doomed. This shotgun of random devices is not good.

Pick two or three screen sizes/aspect and give each a line/product name, stick with it and force it on carriers. There should be no more than 3-6 total devices available at any particular time around the entire world. Don't do the Galaxy thing either. There should be two or three such line names to differentiate cheap stuff, pro and/or aspirational/halo stuff. And RAZR is a bad name for any line as it dictates a form based expectation that the branding should not define. A brand of this sort can maybe define the function, but a brand really should define an intangible the line is after rather than one of the three F's. So the name can be pretty obtuse so long as devices carrying it have some common intangible.

Feedback Score
    Moto needs to do what Samsung is doing. Take one phone (SGS) and continue to make it the premier Android phone in their line-up. Whats everyone talking about and anticipating right now beside the new iPhone? The Samsung Galaxy S 3. Motorola should settle on one phone and build it's brand. RAZR is in a good position to be that phone. It's still young and they can do something with it. As you said continuing to just pump out product is certain death. Give us a brand we can cling to.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Motorola is wacked if they really are developing 2 new devices for soon to mid year.
    Stopping distance is not short for a train. Moto fan here looking for radical changes.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This shotgun of random devices is not good.
    In general, yes, but if all those shotguns had been well executed, it'd be a different story. Eg, Defy and Charm seem to have been well received (no idea of sales numbers) but Cliq and XT may have caused loss of tmo (guess).

And RAZR is a bad name for any line as it dictates a form based expectation that the branding should not define. A brand of this sort can maybe define the function, but a brand really should define an intangible the line is after rather than one of the three F's.
    I thought the Razr name did add an intangible. Afraid to ask about the three F's. Fannie, Frances, and Felicia?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughtrr View Post
    Moto needs to do what Samsung is doing. Take one phone (SGS) and continue to make it the premier Android phone in their line-up. Whats everyone talking about and anticipating right now beside the new iPhone? The Samsung Galaxy S 3. Motorola should settle on one phone and build it's brand. RAZR is in a good position to be that phone. It's still young and they can do something with it. As you said continuing to just pump out product is certain death. Give us a brand we can cling to.
    This would be a good starting point probably for something to focus on NOW. I am not sure RAZR is the correct brand to develop as the broad one though. Look at the new iPad as an example of why. Could a bigger heavier "RAZR" be received as well as it has been, even if just as nice an improvement as it is over the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    In general, yes, but if all those shotguns had been well executed, it'd be a different story. Eg, Defy and Charm seem to have been well received (no idea of sales numbers) but Cliq and XT may have caused loss of tmo (guess).
    Those are all lower end devices and probably not as important in the grand scheme whether they are well marketed and put into focused product lines, but if they had been, I think you would see current devices available as replacements to them. And really T-Mo in particular is a carrier that requires a device sell itself. This is probably part of why it's never got the iPhone as I am guessing Apple expects it to get treated as special by any retailer that wants to sell it. You don't need that extreme control of things like Apple requires to compete with them though if you are savvy about it.

I do agree on execution though in general. But I think the execution is lacking mostly BECAUSE of the shotgun approach. So you can't really fix one and not the other anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    I thought the Razr name did add an intangible. Afraid to ask about the three F's. Fannie, Frances, and Felicia?
    RAZR does do that, but it also defines what a device under that name can be to to large an extent to be broadly and indefinitely used. As I said above, once you go with the RAZR name it would be tough to sell an upgrade such as what has happened with the iPad 2 to the new iPad. Reviving the TAC(Total Area Coverage) of the StarTAC with a SmarTAC or SuperTAC would probably be wiser given their focus and great know how on such aspects to this day. And the fact it's was traditionally used as an appendage to some nomenclature(DynaTAC, MicroTAC, StarTAC) would allow flexibility. TAC would only create an intangible for peeps who've been into cellular for a LONG time from the get-go, but could be rebuilt pretty effectively and quickly I think. Not to mention it could be used more effectively to convey their real strong points that tend to exist in every device they output even if it's not executed well overall.

And the other issue is that I do not believe this new RAZR has generated much excitement outside of VZW. There is no constant inquiry about it being other places like you get with a new Galaxy announcement or iPhone one. It just wasn't that fascinating a device and really it needs to be if you are going to get some new brand line up and running in a real fast and effective way. The OG Droid was such a device, but was branded by VZW and ineffectively marketed as a Milestone. The RAZR just needed to be better in an intangible way really. Stuff like HD or Retina displays add a bigger intangible than I think Moto realizes with their maybe more vibrant or bright, but less sharp displays. There is something about that professionally published on paper level typeset sharpness of such high pixel density displays that does more than simply add a PPI spec check mark. Then the fact it's wider and just not as comfortable in the hand as the Galaxy Nexus while having a screen that is also smaller kinda works against the awesome intangibles the awesomely thin, metal and Kevlar build adds. In the end it's just far too obvious there was a kinda extreme focus on thinning the form of the device.

The 3 F's are Fit, Form, and Function.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Motorola Droid Fighter Release Thread

New Motorola Droid phone coming out next month. Is it just another RAZR? (Opinions?)

http://phandroid.com/2012/03/24/new-...he-droid-razr/

It looks cool

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TechAuthority View Post
    New Motorola Droid phone coming out next month. Is it just another RAZR? (Opinions?)

http://phandroid.com/2012/03/24/new-...he-droid-razr/

It looks cool
    People seem to believe that isn't the Fighter, but something else with a code name of "blade".
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    DROID X2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    maybe this is the phone that fone sex saw? it looks more like a follow up to the dx than the razr, due to its thickness

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Anybody remember the Bionic - Targa confusion? Déjà vu?

Perspective instantiates reality.
    ( By DX w/HoFo app. )
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo1300 View Post
    maybe this is the phone that fone sex saw? it looks more like a follow up to the dx than the razr, due to its thickness
    I'll go along with this theory

Device(s)
    Iphone 6 plus 128GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've stayed away from the rumor mill on new releases for a bit but my NE2 is April 15 so I'm back in........last time I was checking there was way more info on a drop that was only two weeks away.......is there any chance they could get a phone to market in two weeks without the whole world knowing? I mean there isn't really anything out there on this fighter and I'm hearing April 12?......if the phone was going to drop then I'm thinking they are aready packaged and sitting inain a wharehouse ready for shipment.....some would already be in the hands of some employees so they might have some familarity to provide help for new users.........or am I just so 2010 on this thing?
    VZW....where our motto is...we are always last on software updates!

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt Motorola will release any new phones this month. They could be on display at CTIA in May (if they're ready).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast