Phones
    LG800
    W370
    lg 800g
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score

Roll your own?

Anyone try to make a similar gig using groove ip and page plus? PP has the 12 per month plan for 250 minutes of cell time... the rest just needs to be on wifi...
    Lions Rule!

Carrier
    Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I started testing a solution like that, including adding Google Voice on the front end to route incoming calls. I didn't get very far, but it should work. It likely won't be as polished as the Republic Wireless offering, but it should be workable. I found GrooveIp to have some problems on the phone I was testing it on, but it's an old Samsung Moment, and has problems with lots of things.

Now that the RW beta2 has been announced, I've shelved the plan. I was one of the "order placed, but got lost by the system" folks, and I'm hoping that means I get a slot in B2.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am doing sort of the same but with Verizon. I dropped my plan to the minimum 450 minutes with no text and Unlimited (grandfathered) Data. I get a good corporate discount so my total monthly plan is just under $60.00 per month. I use GrooveIp for all calls when in a Wifi zone and Google voice for texting. I currently use Wifi about 50% of the time for voice & data. It is not perfect but certainly better than paying the $100+ before.
    If i get into the RW next Beta I may carry a spare PagePlus phone for awhile until i figure out how to maximize my Wifi use even more. I am currently using a D2 and have few problems.

Phone
    Droid X
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I've been doing something similar for quite a while with Page Plus and sipdroid. I just use the standard plan, because I almost always have wifi. I find I don't quite use up $10 in 120 days. The advantage I see in Republic Wireless is that it can switch from wifi to mobile and back, which my setup doesn't do.

Phones
    LG800
    W370
    lg 800g
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I agree that RW is going to have to have a slicker gig. I just like my evo compared to their phone... plus... I already have it. No 200 bucks to start out...

Today I was talking to my pop with the evo... and caught myself worrying about using my 250 minutes... Life is too short to have to worry like that. I did intsall groove IP as well. Text-Free by pinger. I dislike the ads on textfree... but love the price. I like that it works from my PC as well.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theroar View Post
    Today I was talking to my pop with the evo... and caught myself worrying about using my 250 minutes... Life is too short to have to worry like that. I did intsall groove IP as well. Text-Free by pinger. I dislike the ads on textfree... but love the price. I like that it works from my PC as well.
    Your post makes me think that eventually RW will have to either raise there rates or eventually put in place hard caps on cell minutes with overage charges. I just think over time folks will tend to become lax on controlling there cell use if there is no penalty. The Whole purpose of RW is to use WIFI first and cell only as an emergency back up not the other way around

Phones
    LG800
    W370
    lg 800g
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    There are a lot of people questioning if they can make it work. I read their forums for a couple of weeks and there were issues. They also posted a nice blog entry explaining that there are requirements to being on the service. If you cannot maintain 60 percent wifi... you will have to change plans. I think I could easily swing that as my normal day has about 1 hour of non wifi time in it... Even the hockey rink I just played at has wifi. Lowes, Sams Club... More and more every day. I was amazed that applbees did not have wifi the other day. Good excuse to go to BW3 instead... =)

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Anyone who wants to "roll your own" can sign up for Callcentric and download the Bria softphone from the Android Market. If you have a carrier that support conditional call forwarding, you can conditionally call forward your cellular calls to VOIP. Callcentric permits Calller ID spoofing if you prove that you own the #, so that when you place calls via Wifi, it'll show your cellular phone #.

Depending upon your usage, you could easily pay well less than $20.00 per month using this method. For example, if you get a cheap Airvoice plan, you can pay $10.00 per month, with $.04 per voice minute. Wifi minutes via Callcentric would be $.01 per minute.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What you've said is completely wrong.

RW has said that they encourage people to maintain a 60% ratio of Wifi to Cellular. However, they also made clear that Wifi % will never be a basis for changing plans. Right now, the average Wifi usage of EVERY user together is only 57%, and so half of RW's customers are using Wifi less than 57% of the time.

Originally, they were requiring that you maintain a CUI under 200, but they've dropped that requirement as well. I've been on RW since the beginning with two phones. Our Wifi % is under 20% and always has been. Since we've kept our CUI under 200, there hasn't been a problem. CUI was calculated based upon amount of cellular usage ONLY. The benefit to using Wifi is that it does not affect your CUI - you can talk as long as you want on Wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by theroar View Post
    There are a lot of people questioning if they can make it work. I read their forums for a couple of weeks and there were issues. They also posted a nice blog entry explaining that there are requirements to being on the service. If you cannot maintain 60 percent wifi... you will have to change plans. I think I could easily swing that as my normal day has about 1 hour of non wifi time in it... Even the hockey rink I just played at has wifi. Lowes, Sams Club... More and more every day. I was amazed that applbees did not have wifi the other day. Good excuse to go to BW3 instead... =)

Carrier
    Many
    Feedback Score
    The appealing thing about RW is the amount of minutes, text and data u can get away from wifi.
    For $19 nobody else will give u so much.
    The Pageplus "Roll you own" method doesnt provide any data away from wifi. At least no affordable data.

Phones
    LG800
    W370
    lg 800g
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes, but you do have to plunk 200 down for the phone... This way I get to pick the phone. I landed a Epic 4g on ebay last week for 67, shipped to my door... Now just debating whether to put it on page plus or not. A email came from Republic that I will get a letter next week asking me to decide whether I want to be in the beta or not.

I have not had any complaints about my evo with page plus. I have no data while I am away from wifi, but I still have all the cool features of a smart phone. I was able to shoot pics at a tigers game and record video etc... When we stopped for supper at a place with wifi... send them home.

Not as cool as having data... but patience is a virtue... =)

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    I just want to be able to use my Evo 4G. That must be one of the most popular phones in the US people are now switching from with the contracts ending. I'm not sure why they don't design apps for this since it's the same network?

Phones
    LG800
    W370
    lg 800g
    Carrier
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    What kind of apps are you thinking of? One that helps you switch to page plus?