Thread: Razr Maxx Dropping Data

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Razr Maxx Dropping Data

Does anyone else experience this?

I have a month old Razr Maxx. On occassion (a couple times a day), I attempt to use the brower, then lose all data (1X/3G/4G) for a minute or so. Then the data will come back and I am able to use the browser without problem.

Is this a phone, 4G network or VZW network thing?

I previously had a Droid X and did not experience this issue, but I wasn't using the 4G network either.

Device(s)
    HTC EVO 3D
    Carrier(s)
    SPRINT
    Feedback Score
    I had a similar experience as a new customer. I didn't know if it was the phone or the network so I returned the device and got my money back. But I believe that it's the phone.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The Bionic and Razr are holding onto 4G better with the software update that came out a while back, but I still see it drop 4G and change to 3G every so often. I think it is partly do to the phone (either hardware or software), but Verizon has had continual 4G outages and issues for the past year. Out of the phones I've tested, the HTC Rezound seems to be the best at staying locked to 4G without drops to 3G. If the Razr is giving you issues, you might give the Rezound a try.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    My wife has the rezound and I have the maxx and hers is def more reliable than mine so appears the maxx has some issues.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Was not aware of this. Guess being first to the LTE party by a good margin has helped HTC out in this regard. My Galaxy Nexus will do this, but mostly is only a problem where signal is not the greatest. For example, I can get 4G downstairs at my house now, but capability of holding is it very poor. Upstairs the in a bedroom that is apparently in the direction of the tower my signal is a decent bit better and I can hold 4G OK, but not great. At work I have very strong 4g signal and rarely loose connection ever. Even at the house where my signal is really week it seems to switch from 3g to 4g and back without even enough data loss time to notice it did it if I am using the phone.

Are the RAZR and RAZR Maxx's fringe reception better and this is just a LTE connectivity and hand off issue mostly and not related to reception? This has me curious about the Rezound regardless and it would be interesting to see if it can hold 4g at my house better. Don't have a Moto LTE to compare too. I did use Bionic for a bit, but my house had no 4G then. I do recall it loosing 4g even at work in the week I had it more than my GNex has. Never checked it's actual dB signal level though.

Feedback Score
    This has me even more curious about HTCs upcoming VZW devices. Guessing VZW will get some HTC One variety device with probably Qualcomm S4 processor before anything comparable in performance is available and their 4g capability sounds top notch also.

Motorola has it's work cut out for them under Google if they start to get challenged seriously on VZW. The HTC One for VZW would need some massive built in battery or be changed to have removable to successfully attack Maxx or possible upgrades though I suppose. Mostly I am just surprised Moto's are having data connectivity issues. That's just not good. Are they better than the Samsungs? My Galaxy Nexus really isn't bad and needs to be pretty fringe to do this often. Of course as I wrote this it did it here at work for the first time in a long time.

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Overall I'm happy with Verizon 4g but I do plan to give the iPhone a try when they release one for 4g.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think it is a battery-saving feature. Happens to me when phone is asleep.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy Nexus had horrible 4G reception in my are and couldn't hold on to 4G for more than a few seconds before dropping to 3G. Meanwhile the Razr did much better with only occasional 4G to 3G cycles, and the Rezound stayed locked at 4G.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I switch the device to 3G only, everything runs fine, no temporary loss of data (that I have seen).

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    The Galaxy Nexus had horrible 4G reception in my are and couldn't hold on to 4G for more than a few seconds before dropping to 3G. Meanwhile the Razr did much better with only occasional 4G to 3G cycles, and the Rezound stayed locked at 4G.
    Totally agree. The GNex is driving me crazy. Thank god it's not my primary line and my ATT iPhone 4S is my primary phone.

These days, I just put the GNex microSIM into my LTE iPad and use it strictly for data. Hopefully 4.05 will help with the radio issues or else I am going to sell it.

Samsung= great screens, thin designs, horrible CDMA antenna
    HTC= great design, unibody, good RF, horrible battery life
    Motorola=great RF, qHD screens that are washed out, horrible battery life (on Razr...not on Maxx), bland cell phone design.

Cell phone makers just can't get it right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Weird thing with Galaxy Nexus is I have read in other forums that it's random and device dependent. People that run custom roms and try all the different radios have had devices that are total crap and then exchange them and everything is golden on the new device. Really not sure how radio performance could be so random/faulty and software/firmware agnostic as you would think any hardware related quality would be better than that, but maybe not? Maybe there are some odd antenna things that don't always get proper connections and such inside some of them??

Mine is pretty good if you asked me though. As long I am in the lower 90db range or lower I am golden. If things float toward 100db it gets pretty unreliable, but 4g is still active most of the time. Above 100db is pretty much half and half. And when I struggle to get below 110db I have trouble even getting 4g for more than moments at a time. But even in that 110db range if I find a good spot where it's somehow happy with the signal and plug it into a charger it will hold it most of the time until I move or hold the phone. Off a charger though it seems to not want to keep 4g with such a weak signal much at all.

All in all though I find it's really reliable if I have that lower 90'sdb sorta range of signal. Was your issue with GNex in a somewhat fringe 4g area or was it unreliable most anywhere? I really only have issues with mine in areas like my house I am quite sure can only be described as fringe as I didn't have any reception there until a recent expansion for the Dallas Fort Worth area. I do think though that a better device than the GNex would effectively give me more complete 4g coverage around here as it really seems to drop 4g as much for battery reasons as it does because it just can't hold the signal.

Really I am happy enough with my radio performance even though I figure it could/should be better mostly due to the other advantages I get out of this device with the screen and unlocked BL and such. If LTE coverage was more built out and supposedly "complete" and I still noticed a lot of this I would complain, but my experience has been that LTE coverage itself isn't yet that complete. In very dense populated areas without much to obstruct coverage you shouldn't ever get a really weak signal between towers as they should need towers more for volume of devices on them rather than coverage area when you are using 20mhz of spectrum. That is definitely not the case with LTE just yet though as they seem to have just enough towers to provide complete blanket of coverage and signal will get very week when in the middle of two towers regardless of how populated an area that particular location is. And there is a VERY good chance in such areas you will have REALLY strong 3G signal even on the crappy Samsung CDMA when it does fall back to it. With all this factored in I can't really complain. If VZW never does make LTE's coverage more robust before I have a subsidy again I might look into a better radio/antenna'd device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
    Totally agree. The GNex is driving me crazy. Thank god it's not my primary line and my ATT iPhone 4S is my primary phone.

These days, I just put the GNex microSIM into my LTE iPad and use it strictly for data. Hopefully 4.05 will help with the radio issues or else I am going to sell it.

Samsung= great screens, thin designs, horrible CDMA antenna
    HTC= great design, unibody, good RF, horrible battery life
    Motorola=great RF, qHD screens that are washed out, horrible battery life (on Razr...not on Maxx), bland cell phone design.

Cell phone makers just can't get it right.
    Do you guys drop data all together often? If that is the case I really think it could be a GNex hardware issue as that rarely ever happens to me. It will happen, but very rarely. My only real issue is I think my 4g coverage could be broader, but it switches from 3g to 4g pretty reliably without actually losing data. Now the weaker the signal and more it has to do that, the higher the probability it will have trouble keeping a data connection, but it really is pretty reliable about always having some sort of data connection. I would look into an exchange for another device if that is not true as there may have been issue with the earlier devices in this respect.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Do you guys drop data all together often? If that is the case I really think it could be a GNex hardware issue as that rarely ever happens to me. It will happen, but very rarely. My only real issue is I think my 4g coverage could be broader, but it switches from 3g to 4g pretty reliably without actually losing data. Now the weaker the signal and more it has to do that, the higher the probability it will have trouble keeping a data connection, but it really is pretty reliable about always having some sort of data connection. I would look into an exchange for another device if that is not true as there may have been issue with the earlier devices in this respect.
    I drop data several times a day on my Galaxy Nexus if I have LTE enabled. It stays rather stable if I run it in CDMA-only mode. I can be in the middle of an area that has amazing LTE coverage with an incredibly strong signal, and then all of a sudden I lose all connectivity and the phone starts searching for the network like I'm out in the middle of nowhere. When this happens, it also loses all voice connections. Plus, the reception is just weak overall. I can set the Galaxy Nexus next to my sister's iPhone and my dad's Droid Incredible, and they'll both show a very strong signal while mine is so weak that it's on the edge of not having one at all.

Some people don't seem to experience it (or just don't admit to it), but it's an extremely widespread issue that Verizon is aware of. When I went into my local Verizon store to get a new LTE SIM to activate my Nexus, the associate brought up the issue and told me to expect it to happen multiple times a day. Supposedly the 4.0.5 update will address the problem, but who knows. I think it's more hardware related.

That said, I have a RAZR Maxx on the way, and I'm hoping that it maintains a stronger connection and has better reception, just like every other Motorola phone I've had over the years. While I love the Nexus, I need my phone to actually function as a phone and to be able to maintain a data connection. The massive increase in battery life will be much appreciated as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    I drop data several times a day on my Galaxy Nexus if I have LTE enabled. It stays rather stable if I run it in CDMA-only mode. I can be in the middle of an area that has amazing LTE coverage with an incredibly strong signal, and then all of a sudden I lose all connectivity and the phone starts searching for the network like I'm out in the middle of nowhere. When this happens, it also loses all voice connections. Plus, the reception is just weak overall. I can set the Galaxy Nexus next to my sister's iPhone and my dad's Droid Incredible, and they'll both show a very strong signal while mine is so weak that it's on the edge of not having one at all.

Some people don't seem to experience it (or just don't admit to it), but it's an extremely widespread issue that Verizon is aware of. When I went into my local Verizon store to get a new LTE SIM to activate my Nexus, the associate brought up the issue and told me to expect it to happen multiple times a day. Supposedly the 4.0.5 update will address the problem, but who knows. I think it's more hardware related.

That said, I have a RAZR Maxx on the way, and I'm hoping that it maintains a stronger connection and has better reception, just like every other Motorola phone I've had over the years. While I love the Nexus, I need my phone to actually function as a phone and to be able to maintain a data connection. The massive increase in battery life will be much appreciated as well.
    Interesting. Mine really rarely ever does that and I keep 4g on 24/7, even at home where I barely have coverage as I keep it plugged in there most of the time anyhow and am not concerned about battery because of that.

Anyhow I think I will install No Signal Alert and report back. I have read over on Rootzwiki recently though that this very well could be a hardware issue and they seem to think it's not extremely wide spread. If you have such an issue I would have tried an exchange. Even if for a Maxx. I wouldn't pay new money as it probably is a quality problem with the hardware.

I am pretty sure though that mine rarely ever does this. I can't say it never does as I have seen it happen, but I can count the number of times I have witnessed it happen on one hand at most and I've been using it heavy since launch day. If it's even more than once a week I would ask for an exchange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast