Thread: TracFone: Transferring Contacts between phones- Suggestions, Anyone? (Samsung T404G)

Feedback Score

TracFone: Transferring Contacts between phones- Suggestions, Anyone? (Samsung T404G)

Just wanted to solicit any general suggestions on efficient methods of transferring contacts between phones. I've never done it any way other than the old-fashioned way (manual entry), which of course is the least desirable way. The phone I'd like to transfer contacts from is a Straight Talk LG290C, and the phone I'd like to transfer those contacts to is a TracFone Samsung T404G. I expect that the odds of doing it efficiently are slim and none, but knowledgeable suggestions will enable me to properly prepare for handling this problem in the future. Thanks in advance for replies!

Feedback Score
    Found a link describing how to transfer contacts via Bluetooth. Tried it, and surprisingly, it worked! Hope this helps someone else with the same issue. Good luck!

http://www.ehow.com/how_8221641_send...ent-phone.html

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoneFone View Post
    Just wanted to solicit any general suggestions on efficient methods of transferring contacts between phones. I've never done it any way other than the old-fashioned way (manual entry), which of course is the least desirable way. The phone I'd like to transfer contacts from is a Straight Talk LG290C, and the phone I'd like to transfer those contacts to is a TracFone Samsung T404G. I expect that the odds of doing it efficiently are slim and none, but knowledgeable suggestions will enable me to properly prepare for handling this problem in the future. Thanks in advance for replies!
    I purchased a simcard reader/writer on Ebay for around $7. It is all aluminum and came with a small DVD.
    You put in the old phone simcard and it reads the contacts; then put in the new phone simcard and it writes
    the contacts to the new sim. This has been worth its weight in gold. Used it many, many times. Works Great ! !

Re the link to transfer between phones I am pretty sure that you cannot move a simcard from one
    tracfone to another. Pretty sure it will ruin the simcard and then you have to call to get another.

Transfering via bluetooth seems to be fine.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I did this on an LG500g and posted some info:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ts-into-LG500G

Probably some similarities.

Feedback Score
    I had some old verizon phones that I wanted to port contacts to a new LG500G. I created a couple of contacts in the LG500G and exported them to get the format. The format is a .vcf (vcard) file, Ver 2.1. The verizon contact backup can write a ver 2.1 vcf file However... It doesn't work. The LG500G vcard format has similar fields to the verizon .vcf file so I edited the verizon file to match the format of the LG500G file. However, the LG500G file has the next to last field a line that reads: REV:20041110Txxxxxxz The xxxxxx is a number that changes with each field. It is not the length or the record but I don't know how to create it. If the number isn't right, the phone won't recognize it. So I gave up and entered the contacts manually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I purchased a simcard reader/writer on Ebay for around $7. It is all aluminum and came with a small DVD. You put in the old phone simcard and it reads the contacts; then put in the new phone simcard and it writes the contacts to the new sim. This has been worth its weight in gold. Used it many, many times. Works Great ! !
    The LG 290C that he is transferring from doesn't have a sim card. It's a CDMA phone. So a sim card reader won't help. That only helps when both phones are GSM.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Not sure if it works on all the GSM phones or not, but I put the SIM from my LG500G in an unactivated S390 and it would read the contacts. Of course most of my contacts were not on the SIM.

Once the SIM is married to the phone it can't be used in another for calls, but it would read the data.

As for the LG VCF format, not much other than the LGs understand the multiple contacts in it.
    Most things see the first contact and that's all. And if you send more than one contact via BT it uses that same format.

The Samsungs (T404G and S390G at least) send each contact as a separate file when you select more than one. Separate confirmation not required on the sending phone, but there receiver might (my computer did).

I think the Samsungs are using the PIM BT method, while the LG was using FTP.