Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 3GS Can you use it with "Straight talk"

Feedback Score

iPhone 3GS Can you use it with "Straight talk"

If you can use the Iphone with straight talk (at&t is pricey with their plans straight talk through walmart is 45 for everything) how would you go about changing the software and if it is complex is there somewhere that you can recommend and what woudl you expect to pay? Also, will the speed go down to less then 3GS if I used another provider which I assume would be really slow? Also, if I had to use AT&T are there anyways to keep minutes down at home or elsewhere by using wifi or skype? Thank you.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can use the iPhone 3GS with Straight Talk. To get 3G speeds, make sure to order the AT&T compatible regular SIM. If you choose the T-Mobile SIM, you'll be limited to EDGE speeds as the iPhone doesn't support T-Mobile's 3G frequencies. It's $14.99 for the SIM and $45 a month for the service. You'll have to change the data APN, which you can do from http://unlockit.co.nz from your iPhone on Safari on Wifi. Choose 'United States' and 'Straight Talk'.
    Straight Talk unlimited everything plan for $45

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    He is correct, the settings can be set through the unlocket device, except for mms messaging. To get to those settings, it is necessary to jailbrake and use an app called tetherme. Instructions are posted in several places in this forum. Search for the straight talk iPhone wiki.

Feedback Score
    Where do you order an AT&T compatible sim. So it's $15 and you go the link you gave me make USA and Straight talk the choices and that takes it but why did you say Safari on WIFI? So I should be in a Strabucks to do this then I assume. Is there anything else I would need to do with Straight talk by calling them or informing them of anything ie a code like an apn or the phone I am using or keep things as is and simply ask them to activate the service? Is there any info I need from Straight Talk or vice versa? Thank you.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You can order the SIM from http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims It is recommended to order both the SIM and phone card together as you will need both to activate. The reason you need to use Safari over Wifi is until you set the APN, cellular data won't work.

When you get the packet with the SIM, go to http://www.straighttalk.com/activate and enter the code from the red card included in the packet along with the code from the phone card. Straight Talk doesn't need any info about your phone. Insert the SIM into the phone and when it shows HOME in the carrier field, you should be good to go.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You can get a little cash back by going through one of those sites if you buy the SIM and airtime together. Cash back is not available in the future on airtime purchased alone.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the great information. However, there was a nice person that gifted me the phone so if I sign up with straight talk can I put in my verizon cheap phone's phone number as the phone number or do they mean I have to take that iphone 3gs's phone number from the existing iphone? When activating the phone where do you find the phone's "15 or 18 digit Serial Number/IMEI/ MEID DEC below" ?
    I went to the website for Straight Talk and choose the $15 sim then hit shop and chose to get a card for 1 or 3 months then where would I see a discount for getting both at one time or is that on otherwebsites other then Straight talk? Regardless would you still buy both on the Straight Talk website? Also, if I have the iphone 3gs wouldn't that already have a at&t sim or is that normally not something that comes with the phone. Thanks a lot your excellent at explaining the steps. Best, Paul

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You can port your number from Verizon. You do that during activation. In GSM phones (like your 3GS), the phone number is tied to the SIM, not the phone.

The IMEI number you enter is the number that comes on the red card with your SIM. You do not use the iPhone's IMEI as Straight Talk's system won't recognize it.

You don't get a discount for buying both the SIM and phone card at the same time. However, since you need to buy airtime, it's easier to buy both the SIM and phone card at the same time.

Feedback Score
    I went to the link for Straight talk to shop and chose at&t compatible phone then went to get a 45dollar card for a month but when it says to activate your phone and I never got a chance to buy the phone card yet http://www.straighttalk.com/controller.block so I am stopped cold at this point. It's set up like I bought a phone from Straight Talk rather then me already having a phone as show below. Not sure what I am misreading hmm. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you. " Activation Information

"PHONE INFORMATION

Please enter your phone's 15 or 18 digit Serial Number/IMEI/ MEID DEC below. Your Serial Number can be found in the Red Activation card that came in your phone's package. You can also click on the "help" link for instructions on how to find your Serial Number on your phone.

Serial Number/ MEID/ DEC"

Feedback Score
    Sorry I called up the csr and they answered my last question which you can ignore. I think the last question I have for now is how to port over easily any phone numbers and pictures or videos from my cheap verizon phone to the iphone 3gs. Thank you once again I am shocked at how cheap one can have an iphone with straight talk and if you go whole hog you can get one year for like 41.60 unless you know of a less expensive way or better service? Thanks again your excellent!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljm112 View Post
    Sorry I called up the csr and they answered my last question which you can ignore. I think the last question I have for now is how to port over easily any phone numbers and pictures or videos from my cheap verizon phone to the iphone 3gs. Thank you once again I am shocked at how cheap one can have an iphone with straight talk and if you go whole hog you can get one year for like 41.60 unless you know of a less expensive way or better service? Thanks again your excellent!
    They have not created a seperate SIM activation site. They still use the one for phones. Just disregard the phone part of the wording. You must port the number first or you will get a new number on the SIM and will have to buy another new SIM for your ported number.

Feedback Score
    What is the network speed for straight talk and what is the hitch since it is cheap is it hard to get out of the contract or is service slow like with prepaid service being lower on the cell phone tower priority for speed? Just curious. Thank you! Oh the Iphone 3gs can go fast but thats the phone what if the network goes slow then it wont matter.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 16GB Black
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    What is the network speed for straight talk and what is the hitch since it is cheap is it hard to get out of the contract or is service slow like with prepaid service being lower on the cell phone tower priority for speed? Just curious. Thank you! Oh the Iphone 3gs can go fast but thats the phone what if the network goes slow then it wont matter.
    There is no contract. If you no longer want the service, you just stop paying. Data speeds are on par with AT&T postpaid.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The only thing you lose with ST AT&T service is the tight AT&T grip and drain on your wallet.

Feedback Score
    hi, I went to the new zealand website after putting in the sim the unlock website and did change apn custom use and straight talk and then put in install for profile. Now I did this in the apple store on wifi and i tried to use the wiki but am confused about what function am i missing by not having mms. I want mms regardless but it says i need 5.0.1 iPhone os version i guess my iPhone 3gs is that? so jail brake are there a few short easy steps i am more of a non techie and surprised i got this far. Please any help I would appreciate it. You have been outstanding:-) Thank YoU! Oh at the moment my verizon phone won't take calls it has some message that i can do a collect call i have not tried the iPhone call function yet but it does show a message and i called straight phone earlier to give them some info on me and the phone card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast