Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: straight talk APN settings

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaoffroad01 View Post
    I have the HD7s and I can't get the MMS to work. I have internet though.

My APN setting options are:
    APN
    User Name
    Password
    Proxy Server/URL
    Proxy Port

I do not have any of the MMS options like I had on my HTC Inspire 4G or Samsung Captivate. What do I need to type into those fields in order for this to work?
    Were you able to use the att.mvno apn? I can only use wap.tracfone for some reason... I initially got the Samsung Focus but didn't realize I couldn't change the mms settings for that phone so I bought a Dell Venue Pro and I have the same issue..put in all the settings but the att.mvno apn doesn't work and neither does mms. I actually want to stick with WP7 but if I might eventually try an android. I just worry that I will go through all the trouble again just to STILL not have mms.

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewminous View Post
    Were you able to use the att.mvno apn? I can only use wap.tracfone for some reason... I initially got the Samsung Focus but didn't realize I couldn't change the mms settings for that phone so I bought a Dell Venue Pro and I have the same issue..put in all the settings but the att.mvno apn doesn't work and neither does mms. I actually want to stick with WP7 but if I might eventually try an android. I just worry that I will go through all the trouble again just to STILL not have mms.
    Maybe you bought a T-Mo variant of the DVP. If you go to setting -> about, what does it say under phone information/carrier? ATTUS or TMOUS? The T-Mo sim is the one that must connect to wap.tracfone.

I just ported to Straight Talk with my TMOUS DVP. I went to the EM app and put in all the settings and internet and mms works great!

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crav4Speed View Post
    Maybe you bought a T-Mo variant of the DVP. If you go to setting -> about, what does it say under phone information/carrier? ATTUS or TMOUS? The T-Mo sim is the one that must connect to wap.tracfone.

I just ported to Straight Talk with my TMOUS DVP. I went to the EM app and put in all the settings and internet and mms works great!
    No, it's an AT&T phone. I also had the same issue on the Samsung Focus. I have read that's what the T-mobile phones use and this is why I am so confused. I put in the att.mvno apn the other night and it worked for a short while and then stopped. I am stumped.

Update: I contacted ST via Facebook and they told me they updated my phone. I entered the settings just as before except I put Straight Talk in the username field in both mms and data. I don't know if it made a difference or not but everything is working now.
    Last edited by lewminous; 04-06-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Feedback Score
    Network Mode: 3G = HSPA = WCDMA
    Network Mode: 2G = EDGE = GSM
    Network Mode: Automatic = WCDMA (preferred) / GSM

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ziontnk View Post
    hey guys i can't seems to get any 3G connection on my phone with straight talk, i followed their activation instruction and my APN setting is as such:

Network Mode: GSM only
    my APN settings
    name: Straight talk
    APN: att.mvno
    Proxy: mvno.tracfone.com
    port: 80
    username: <not set>
    password: <not set>
    server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC :410
    authentication type: PAP or CHAP
    APN type: <not set>

please help, using an arc s lt18a.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    Proxy is incorrect. Should be:

Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

Leaving the proxy field blank also works (better for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by W2PMX View Post
    proxy.mvno.tracfone.com IS 66.209.11.33. (That's the address it resolves to.) Using the numerical address just makes it a little faster (no DNS required).

Yeah, but if you LOOK, you will see that is NOT what he had typed. He had NO numbers typed in the general proxy field, he had the WRONG name typed. He left off the word "proxy".

Down in the MMS proxy field is where he had numbers typed.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Yeah, but if you LOOK, you will see that is NOT what he had typed. He had NO numbers typed in the general proxy field, he had the WRONG name typed. He left off the word "proxy".

Down in the MMS proxy field is where he had numbers typed.
    Your attention given to point out his mistakes. How does it feel to be the great one with all the right answers? Superior? We all so impressed by you. Thanks for helping him look bad. I sure he feels better.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    Your attention given to point out his mistakes. How does it feel to be the great one with all the right answers? Superior? We all so impressed by you. Thanks for helping him look bad. I sure he feels better.
    Dude, you have an attitude problem.

I was pointing out the original answer (by GTwannabe) was CORRECT. The op had not typed the proxy line correctly. You can leave it blank or you can fill it in, but if you fill it in it has to be done correctly or your internet will not work.

Then the other guy (W2PMX) butted in and said NO, it was all typed correctly. Well, it wasn't. And that answer was dangerous.

The person was asking for help and GTwannabe actually solved the problem while W2PMX was mistaken. I'm not "pointing out mistakes", I'm pointing out the right answer for anyone who might need the same information.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Actually, you drug up a thread that had been dead for 2 months. The way that you answered indeed looked like you were trying to be a jerk. The thread was not active, yet you felt the need to come and correct something that was done months ago.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Actually, you drug up a thread that had been dead for 2 months. The way that you answered indeed looked like you were trying to be a jerk. The thread was not active, yet you felt the need to come and correct something that was done months ago.
    First, I didn't "drug up" anything.

I'm a new Straight Talk customer with a Galaxy Nexus phone with this exact BYOD APN settings being discussed. I'm SEARCHING (even using google) and reading through some of the threads before asking questions. I'm looking for information, tips, other people's experiences. I'm coming from years of experience with prepaid CDMA and now even LTE phones, but am a newbie with GSM stuff.

How many times have YOU seen someone say "That's already been answered. Use search!"

So, that's what I am doing. OK? If I found it, read it, was a little confused before realizing the 1st guy was right after all and 2nd guy was totally wrong in his answer on the APN, then others will find it doing a Google search and be confused.

It seems like YOU should want correct information posted on this board?

Second, I'm having data problems with my new phone/account so I am actively searching for answers before I call Straight Talk. So, it's more than curiosity.

Third, I "answered" in exactly the way he answered his post. He capitalized and bolded part of his wrong answer for emphasis. Just as I am answering exactly the tone you replied. I see no jerkiness there if you don't.

_________

By the way, maestroteagu, I've read several of your posts. You give good answers, especially this one to me.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 07-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Then the other guy (W2PMX) butted in and said NO, it was all typed correctly.
    Actually I didn't. I didn't address his typo or your correction at all.

And that answer was dangerous.
    Not if he had put the IP address in for the proxy.

The person was asking for help and GTwannabe actually solved the problem while W2PMX was mistaken.
    The mistake was yours, in not understanding what I said.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by W2PMX View Post
    Actually I didn't. I didn't address his typo or your correction at all.

Not if he had put the IP address in for the proxy.

The mistake was yours, in not understanding what I said.
    Dude, I understand exactly the wrong answer you gave. Everyone else also understands it. Go back up and read what you wrote. I even quoted you, to show.

You may wish you could go back and edit your mistake, but don't try to claim you didn't make it, please.

Just let it slide. I corrected it for you, so there would not be any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ziontnk

hey guys i can't seems to get any 3G connection on my phone with straight talk, i followed their activation instruction and my APN setting is as such:

Network Mode: GSM only
    my APN settings
    name: Straight talk
    Proxy: mvno.tracfone.com
    port: 80
    username: <not set>
    password: <not set>
    server: <not set>
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
    MCC: 310
    MNC :410
    authentication type: PAP or CHAP
    APN type: <not set>

please help, using an arc s lt18a.
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe

Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

Leaving the proxy field blank also works (better for me)
    GTwannabe correctly points out that the general proxy field is filled in wrong. He gives two options to correct it. Either type the proper name exactly or leave it blank.

Whereas the MMS proxy is filled in with the numerical IP address. He is not talking about that entry at all. But you think he is. You missed he was talking about the general proxy field.

You even QUOTED GTwannabe in your answer.

proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
    proxy.mvno.tracfone.com IS 66.209.11.33. (That's the address it resolves to.) Using the numerical address just makes it a little faster (no DNS required).
    ziontnk did not use a numerical address in the general proxy field. He had a wrong URL. You clearly thought GTwannabe was saying the MMS proxy field should have the "proxy.mvno.tracfone.com" name instead of "66.209.11.33", and you were saying what ziontnk had would work fine. That is would even work faster! Whereas what ziontnk had in the general proxy field would NOT work at all. That's not what was being discussed at all in GTwannabe's answer. It sounds like you are saying GTwannabe's answer was invalid.

I'm not trying to embarrass you, I am merely trying to make sure correct information is posted. I had data troubles myself with APN settings, and this stuff is VERY important to be totally accurate.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 07-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    If you cannot send MMS with the Straight Talk APN settings you need to go to the Facebook page and create a ticket or suffer through the 800 number. They will have to change settings on their end to allow you to use these APN settings. This was the only solution for me on a LG Nexus 4.

APN Name: Straight Talk
    MMSC: http: //mmsc.cingular.com (remove spaces)
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33

Tried to get the rep to divulge what she had to do to allow MMS:

Straight Talk:
    It actually depends on the phone, Jeff. I can't tell exactly but we have to check both the phone model and the settings on our system and compare it with the settings that were set up on the phone.
    Last edited by gatersaw; 06-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    I got an UPDATE to Carrier setting's 2 days ago on my i4 with ST AT&T sim that put the phone in an AT&T proxy and the apn's back to "phone" had to change apn's this morning to get mms to work again.I went back to old settings of cingular and works fine.But what was bad is it said that it changed them WITHOUT my knowledge.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    download from play store, handcent sms.. my son had trouble with pics also, it now works great

Feedback Score
    Hey guys - I lost data on my Galaxy Nexus with T-Mobile SIM couple of hours ago
    Anybody know what might have gone wrong?

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast