Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help: transfering from sim to microsim + Nokia Lumia 710

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Help: transfering from sim to microsim + Nokia Lumia 710

Hey everyone,

I'm getting the Nokia Lumia 710 that uses a microsim and I'm just wondering what's the best way to transfer my information from my standard sim: go into a store or call or is there a third option?

I have the $5 web2go and I don't want to lose that. Not sure if the phone comes with a microsim, if not, can I buy one from a T-Mobile store?

And for those who are using the Lumia 710 on web2go or tzones, did you have to change any settings for it to work?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dckl; 03-29-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    My Feedback

Condoms, Rose! Condoms! Condoms! Condoms! - Dorothy Zbornak

Device(s)
    Apple
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You can just cut your current one...

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, besides cutting my current one. I have a habit of screwing things like that up and don't want to end up with a busted sim, which would bring me back to my original place.

Feedback Score
    Use the Contacts Transfer application if you have another phone to use as proxy. Here's how: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3033

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XRISTO View Post
    Use the Contacts Transfer application if you have another phone to use as proxy. Here's how: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3033
    Oops...I actually meant my subscriber and account information, as in activating the microsim. As I mentioned, I have the web2 go on my account, and would like to be able to use that with the Lumia 710 without having to sign up for a new plan.

Btw, XRISTO...you're using the 710 on tzones/web2go, right? Did you have to change any settings on the 710 to get it to work? And how do you like it so far?

Feedback Score
    You have three options. Fastest way is to buy one at Corporate store for $20. Tell them you're thinking about buying an iPhone from Craigslist (because they'll ask why you need a micro...). They'll ask for your account information and want to see your phone. Tell them you haven't bought it yet but just want to buy the sim and activate it later through Customer Service. Once you bring the sim home, call Customer Service and tell them you accidentally broke your current sim and have a new one to replace it. You don't even have to mention that it's a micro-sim. Give them the new serial number from the sim and they will transfer your number to the new card. Second option: You can cut your sim as some others have suggested by buying the sim-cutting tool and keeping your fingers crossed that you don't make a mistake or Third Opion: buy them on Ebay for 5 bucks or less then follow the same procedure by calling Customer Service to activate it on current line. I love the phone, It might not be the most powerful or biggest phone on the market but it fits in my pocket and does what I want it to do. I set the apn to wap.voicestream.com just because it's the one that originated with Tzones. Haven't felt the need to try any other apn. PS. If you buy one from Ebay, make sure it's not a prepaid sim. I'm not sure but I think those won't work on a regular post-paid account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You have three options. Fastest way is to buy one at Corporate store for $20. Tell them you're thinking about buying an iPhone from Craigslist (because they'll ask why you need a micro...). They'll ask for your account information and want to see your phone. Tell them you haven't bought it yet but just want to buy the sim and activate it later through Customer Service. Once you bring the sim home, call Customer Service and tell them you accidentally broke your current sim and have a new one to replace it. You don't even have to mention that it's a micro-sim. Give them the new serial number from the sim and they will transfer your number to the new card. Second option: You can cut your sim as some others have suggested by buying the sim-cutting tool and keeping your fingers crossed that you don't make a mistake or Third Opion: buy them on Ebay for 5 bucks or less then follow the same procedure by calling Customer Service to activate it on current line. I love the phone, It might not be the most powerful or biggest phone on the market but it fits in my pocket and does what I want it to do. I set the apn to wap.voicestream.com just because it's the one that originated with Tzones. Haven't felt the need to try any other apn. PS. If you buy one from Ebay, make sure it's not a prepaid sim. I'm not sure but I think those won't work on a regular post-paid account.
    Thanks for your input, XRISTO!

Turns out the phone comes with a microsim, so I don't even need to go get one. Will give them a call tomorrow and hopefully the activation will go smoothly.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get the unlock code from T-Mobile!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dckl View Post
    Turns out the phone comes with a microsim, Will give them a call tomorrow and hopefully the activation will go smoothly.
    I assume you bought the phone from a third party. If that person bought the phone on their account (upgrade or add-a-line) then the sim was probably activated on their account so T-mobile won't transfer you number to a sim that's already been used (even if it's since been deactivated). If you bought the phone from T-mobile then there shouldn't be a problem.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I assume you bought the phone from a third party. If that person bought the phone on their account (upgrade or add-a-line) then the sim was probably activated on their account so T-mobile won't transfer you number to a sim that's already been used (even if it's since been deactivated). If you bought the phone from T-mobile then there shouldn't be a problem.
    I actually got it from the Microsoft Store's Smoked by Windows Phone promo. I traded an old Blackberry 8310 for it.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Try telling Tmo that you'll be traveling abroad to unlock it.

Sent from my Lumia 710 via the HowardForums WP7 App

Feedback Score
    you need to use the phone for 2-4 weeks, then ask for an unlock code.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm just worried that they'll notice my $5 web2go plan and make me switch plans.

Feedback Score
    I'm just worried that they'll notice my $5 web2go plan and make me switch plans.
    They will notice it and try to sell you a more expensive plan claiming that the phone doesn't work with T-zones and requires a new data plan. You might be calling in for a totally different reason in the future but they will eventually catch it. When that happens then use the following script with determination and a firm voice " I know that it doesn't work with Tzones but want to keep Tzones because I'm not sure if I'm keeping the [insert smartphones' name] Lumia. Do NOT change anything on my account. Leave all features as they are, is this understood?",(wait for response, if they persist then repeat yourself if necessary i.e. "Don't change anything on my account!" Once you receive a positive acknowledgment then make a quick exit by saying "I have to go now because I'm in a meeting and being asked to turn off my phone, thank you for your time and have a great day"
    Last edited by XRISTO; 04-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They will notice it and try to sell you a more expensive plan claiming that the phone doesn't work with T-zones and requires a new data plan. You might be calling in for a totally different reason in the future but they will eventually catch it. When that happens then use the following script with determination and a firm voice " I know that it doesn't work with Tzones but want to keep Tzones because I'm not sure if I'm keeping the [insert smartphones' name] Lumia. Do NOT change anything on my account. Leave all features as they are, is this understood?",(wait for response, if they persist then repeat yourself if necessary i.e. "Don't change anything on my account!" Once you receive a positive acknowledgment then make a quick exit by saying "I have to go now because I'm in a meeting and being asked to turn off my phone, thank you for your time and have a great day"
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion, XRISTO! I'm bookmarking this thread!

Btw, you mentioned you changed the APN to wap.voicestream.com, and I'm not able to edit the current APNs. But I can add new ones. Was that what you did? If so, did you create 2 new APNs, 1 for data and 1 for MMS?

Thanks again!

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion, XRISTO! I'm bookmarking this thread!

Btw, you mentioned you changed the APN to wap.voicestream.com, and I'm not able to edit the current APNs. But I can add new ones. Was that what you did? If so, did you create 2 new APNs, 1 for data and 1 for MMS?

Thanks again!
    Let me know how the activation goes...I was wondering if I cut my sim but mess up, I can still transfer my service to the micro sim as a backup option right?

Sent from my MB525 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast