Thread: ST Coverage map: Android vs Non-Android?

Feedback Score

ST Coverage map: Android vs Non-Android?

Hey guys, on the ST coverage map page: http://www.straighttalk.com/Coverage, it shows 2 maps, one for "non-android coverage" and one for "android coverage". I was just curious - why would the android coverage be so much more restricted? And also - would this really be "smartphone" coverage, meaning it would affect my iphone 4 with similar coverage limitations? Or is it just something about Android specifically? Thanks for shedding any light...

Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The android phones ST sells on their website use the Sprint network. That "Android Coverage" map is Sprint's native network. According to this page http://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml, it looks like it may even be Sprint's Nextel/Boost network.

The Non-Android is the AT&T/T-Mo GSM side of their service for BYOD.

Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. Relieved that my ATT iphone will be covered lol.

Feedback Score

Adendum

Not all Android phones sold are Sprint. I bought a Samsung phone that uses Verizon CDMA. It also only uses Verizon towers no roam and that map is useless. I have no reception 5 miles from home in major markets. I had to return the phone. My old Verizon plan worked great up here but not ST. Thanks. Pat. Also,, phone carrier is listed on phone box at the store. Lower left corner,,last digit is S-Sprint,,V-Verizon,,A-ATT

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crav4Speed View Post
    The android phones ST sells on their website use the Sprint network. That "Android Coverage" map is Sprint's native network. According to this page http://www.cellularmaps.com/net_compare.shtml, it looks like it may even be Sprint's Nextel/Boost network.

The Non-Android is the AT&T/T-Mo GSM side of their service for BYOD.
    WRONG. That "Androids" coverage map is 2 years old, from when the only Androids sold by Straight Talk were Sprint.

Now there's Straight Talk-branded Androids on Verizon (Proclaim, Showcase), AT&T (Merit)... besides all the Androids on the BYOP plan -- on T-mobile network and AT&T. I have Galaxy Nexus on ST "AT&T".

So, the real answer is that map is obsolete, outdated and is a perfect example of Straight Talk's business incompetence that it's still even on their website.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 10-23-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crav4Speed View Post
    As I said above, that map is not current. But, now even looking at the URL, I see that map is not from the Straight Talk website. So, Straight Talk cannot be blamed for that outdated map.