Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Public Mobile - My opinion

Feedback Score

Public Mobile - My opinion

Hello everyone,
    just spent a few hours playing with my new Public Mobile ZTE N762 and I can report that it works but...

The 3G does not support Skype, cSipSimple can not be installed (voip) and Paltalk can not be installed.

I understand that not everyone wants to use these apps, but when you advertise unlimited internet access, you should deliver UNLIMITED internet access. In this case PM is delivering a limited versionof the internet on a phone that is locked down tight and has serious limitations on the software you can use. What is the point of calling it an Android phone?!!?!?

I'm returning mine back tonight as it is useless for me.

Peter

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Public Mobile does not advertise "Unlimited Internet" they advertise "unlimited 3g data" on "android smartphones" at "public mobile prices".

Their website says:
    Our unlimited 3G data feature is included in all our unlimited Android plans. This bundle of services gives you unlimited web browsing, email, app downloads, and GPS applications. All at fast 3G speeds. The info portal gives you quick links to news, sports, and entertainment. Instant messaging is available through Gtalk, MSN and Yahoo. Picture messaging lets you send pictures from your phone.
    I emphasized the parts which I thought were relevant. As for calling it an Android phone, it is an Android phone, it runs the Android OS. On the dumphone-feature phone->smartphone->superphone line, I'd put it as 'advanced feature phone', and the price reflects that. It only costs $100 (at the moment, on sale 50% off).

Having said that, sorry it didn't work for what you wanted it to work for. It's a good thing they have no contracts otherwise you would be *really* upset.
    What, you trust what I say? I'm just some random guy/gal on the intertubes.
    I am not a lawyer, nor does anything I say constitute legal advice.
    Learn how to use Google.

Feedback Score
    Well, when I asked their customer service (1-800...) and the sales rep at the store if could install any apps I wanted, all 3 responses were positive.

Return policy or not, they gave me misleading information. That's kind of illegal.

Carrier
    4169582622 ANI #
    Feedback Score
    Its also illegal too since they say "This sale ends at XX,2012", then AFTER that date, its EXTENDED the sale.

So don't give your money to them in the future if you feel you have been burned. (don't expect to get your lost money back) - or help me get their NAI of the network with QPST and I will see if I can get into their network
    25GB Cap? DIY Telnus prepaid/Koodo unlimited EVDO internet (for $10 per 2 months, to keep account "Active"), Max 3Mbps download speed, if you roam on Bell (free), then you get non-NATed IP

mobile files is reopened - Aug 11/2010
    HoFo = censorship same as US censor wikileaks = china censor

Carrier
    Videotron
    Feedback Score
    I can use skype while on 3g... what are you talking about? I have the ZTE N762... and for cSipSimple and Paltalk it's probably they are not compatible with that model.... Flash player is not compatible either.. Its normal.. you pay 99$ no contract, no credit check... what are you expecting? a Galaxy S II? They have the right to extend a promo... Rogers and their 6Gb was extended for months...there is no misleading information here..

Feedback Score
    "I can use skype while on 3g... what are you talking about?"

ZTE N762 + Skype + 3G = NOTHING!

As for cSipSimple, I had to reset the phone to factory defaults twice to get it to install. BUT it also is blocked on the 3G network... So not much better.

Peter

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Not sure, but I seem to be able to use on 3G....

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What do you wish to accomplish with Skype? If you want to make free Canadian long distance calls, Dell Voice, Vonage Mobile and GrooVe IP are all free. One of those apps might have free US calling too. For international calls, I believe you can't get around not paying. If you want to Skype to Skype on your phone, obviously there is no other way around that than to use Skype.

I noticed they added voice calling to textplus but you gotta pay for voice airtime. $2/75 mins. $10/400, $20/1000. GTFO. lol. Why are they charging so much when their competitors offer free Canadian LD calling (up to 3000 mins a month on Vonage) for free? The thing I like about textplus though is that you get to use the same number for calling and texting.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I thought Public Mobile Customer Service was great. Voice and text reasonably good. Data unusable and extremely limited not worth the money. Coverage was a problem due to poor signal in many areas and bad heading West from Mississauga. This provider still needs to do a lot of work and surprised they have so many customers already. Toronto however was the best for calling and for this use it's a pass.

Phone
    HTC Desire HD
    Carrier
    Koodo Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The vast majority of their customers are probably in Greater Montreal, where they don't have WIND or Mobilicity to compete with. I doubt they have many customers in the GTA. I never see anyone rocking Public Mobile and their plans are not competitive relative to other new entrants. They nickel and dime on add-on features like crazy. Their business model is to gut a phone plan to its barebones at a low profit margin ($19 unlimited provincial talk) to people who are willing to tolerate it and then nickel and dime the stuff they take out to people at almost pure profit. Standard business practice in Canadian wireless.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using HowardForums

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I actually see far more people with Mobi or Public than Wind in the GTA
    Wind also has the most complaints by far
    This forum is not a typical user set
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Carrier
    Wind (formerly Fido/Chatr)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kav2001c View Post
    I actually see far more people with Mobi or Public than Wind in the GTA
    Right now if you go to main page of Howardforum (http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php) you are going to see:

Rogers 237 viewing
    Wind 100
    Public Mobile 2
    Mobility 84
    Bell 68
    Telus 80

Do you guys think that is a good indication of the user number?
    Or you see only more Windmobile users b****ing?

Daniel , T O

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dtong22 View Post
    Right now if you go to main page of Howardforum (http://www.howardforums.com/forums.php) you are going to see:

Rogers 237 viewing
    Wind 100
    Public Mobile 2
    Mobility 84
    Bell 68
    Telus 80

Do you guys think that is a good indication of the user number?
    Or you see only more Windmobile users b****ing?

Daniel , T O
    I think it's a little misleading - I'd imagine that Public custo's are not likely to be HoFo contributers. It may simply be due to a difference in target market.

Carrier
    Telus, TMo PP, H2O
    Feedback Score
    And yes it's possible Wind is 2nd busiest because of people complaining about the SG3 policy, looking for a way to get one on an upgrade, etc.

=aw

Feedback Score
    hey everybody, was just wondering, do you guys get email updates from public? like bill reminders or new promos?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast