Thread: Net10 the exact same?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Net10 the exact same?

I just looked at Net10 and they are offering BYOD for tmobile and AT&T with unlimited talk text and data for $50 on sale for $45. I know they are both owned by tracfone but is their any advantage to net10 over straight talk as in more forgiving on excessive data or better coverage etc? It seems weird for the same company technically to offer such similar services.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    I just looked at Net10 and they are offering BYOD for tmobile and AT&T with unlimited talk text and data for $50 on sale for $45. I know they are both owned by tracfone but is their any advantage to net10 over straight talk as in more forgiving on excessive data or better coverage etc? It seems weird for the same company technically to offer such similar services.
    They are both the same exact service with the same sim card being shiped to you.

They both offer truly unlimited talk+text, an unspecified data cap (which is reported by people on here to be 2 GB) in which they will suspend all your service (including talk+text) and then boot you off without allowing you to port your # over.
    Both aren't forgiving on excessive data, if you want more leniency on data then you go with the T-Mobile sim over the AT&T one.

The only difference between the two is the price: Net10 is more expensive because Tracfone has agreements with pin sellers whereas Straight Talk only has exclusive agreements with Walmart.
    Net10 would cost you $46.50 from Calling Mart with the 7% discount that's offered every month, whereas Straight Talk will run you $45 plus whatever sales tax is in your state when you order it on Walmart.com.
    You can get the Straight Talk for an even $45 with no tax if you put a New Hampshire or Oregon shipping address at checkout. Pin is emailed to you and not shipped to that address anyway. Walmart should realize that since prepaid is virtual then there should be no sales tax anyway, besides you can get every single prepaid tax free (even Tracfone & Net10) from pin sellers except Straight Talk which is exclusive to straighttalk.com and Walmart.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if there is any difference in customer service between the two. The ST FB site seems to busier and the CS responses seem to be timely.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have Net10 because I detest Wal-Mart and wanted the option of purchasing refill cards elsewhere. I had to call the customer care number a few times to get some account issues resolved. The automated attendant tells you to press 1 for ST and 2 for N10. I was transferred a few times so I got to listen to the standard greeting from several reps. It was a toss-up whether they said they were with ST or N10. I'm willing to bet it's the same group and they just say a different greeting based on the popup they get on their screen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyNY View Post
    Net10 would cost you $46.50 from Calling Mart with the 7% discount that's offered every month
    Noticed that callingmart gives you a 2% discount for NT. Is there an additional 5% discount that you have to punch in during checkout that works all the time?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubba View Post
    Noticed that callingmart gives you a 2% discount for NT. Is there an additional 5% discount that you have to punch in during checkout that works all the time?
    There is a code that ups the discount from 2% to 7%. There is a code given for most holidays. Get on their e-mail list to receive the codes.

Feedback Score
    using auto refill, NT is $45 per month.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    So both give AT&T post paid & roaming coverage? One has to wonder why they would both have the same coverage and pricing.

What network do the Net10 Android phones they sell work on? Do they natively use AT&T or verizon like Straight Talk (unless BYOD)?

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    So both give AT&T post paid & roaming coverage? One has to wonder why they would both have the same coverage and pricing.

What network do the Net10 Android phones they sell work on? Do they natively use AT&T or verizon like Straight Talk (unless BYOD)?
    It's a branding thing. A lot of companies do it with Wal-Mart and warehouse clubs like Costco. Companies will rename their products or change the model numbers on specific items to limit complaints from other retailers about having to honor price matching guarantees.

Straight Talk/Net10 Androids use the Sprint home network, not Verizon. I wish they were on Verizon, since VZW's coverage is much wider.

Carrier
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    With their Android phones do you get roaming or is it native Sprint coverage and useless off network like Boost Mobile, Virgin, Republic, etc?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellyon View Post
    using auto refill, NT is $45 per month.
    It is not because there is sales tax on top of that...so for me it would be $49 because I live in NY.
    Even for those who live in New Hampshire or Oregon, Net10 still charge a E911 fee, universal service charge, and regulatory cost recovery fee.

Unlike Walmart.com which charges sales tax based on shipping address, Net10 will charge the sales tax based on the billing address from what I've read. So there is no way around it if you live in a state that charges sales tax.

If you purchase from Calling Mart then you pay $46.50 and as points add up you get even more savings.
    Calling Mart give 7% (if you check their twitter page, the 7% has been ongoing for a while) + 1% in points back + most credit cards give back 1% on purchases too. If you ask me, 9% isn't a bad deal!

Straight Talk is a flat $42 a month if you purchase from Walmart.com and using 90210 shipping address and buy for 3 months one shot. This is for those who know for sure they won't be abusing data because once Straight Talk gives you the boot then the money isn't refundable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBoost View Post
    With their Android phones do you get roaming or is it native Sprint coverage and useless off network like Boost Mobile, Virgin, Republic, etc?
    Completely useless Off Network as you're only getting native Sprint coverage like Boost Mobile & Virgin Mobile.
    You could see no service in your own home area which Sprint is supposedely suppose to have good coverage.

Only advantage might be that going the Sprint route through Straight Talk / Net10 might be truly unlimited data with a throttle. Not sure if there are any reports of people getting kicked off using the Android phones they sell.

Feedback Score
    Net10 service is not available in N.H. fro what they told me in India after buying an activation card and air time now they want me to send it back via FED Ex.Their website says you can activate but after many attempts and 2 hours on the phone you can't

Feedback Score
    I've used both and service seems to be indentical, cs probably the same. Whatever you do set it up on autopay so once you are set up you can forget about it. Every interaction with CS is a possible failure and will takes years off your life.