Thread: Should I switch to metroPCS from Verizon?

Phones
    LG enV Touch
    LG enV Touch
    Samsung Alias
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Should I switch to metroPCS from Verizon?

I have been a VZW customer for a long time. I like the coverage, voice quality and no hassle customer service. I don't like the price.

I have just talk and text currently, but was looking to switch to smartphones. The reason I want data is to be able to show my potential customers things on my own website(including videos), looking up pricing for parts when giving estimates, and checking email.

We are not too particular about the phones. They don't need to be trendy or super high-tech. They do need to work smoothly and sound good, and would prefer a physical keyboard.

We have two lines. Currently for 1400 voice minutes and unlimited text messaging we pay ~$125/month after taxes. To add a 10GB/month data plan, we are looking at ~$220/month after taxes.

We are considering the MetroPCS $60/month/line plan. So we are looking at $120/month. Are there any fees or taxes on top of that?

How unlimited is the Internet, will we be able to do what we need to do? How strong is the network coverage in metro Philly(we rarely leave the area)? Are you happy with MetroPCS, or are there headaches dealing with them? Anything I should be aware of before switching?

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dont use Metro so just advice: Can you try side by side for a while, perhaps a couple of billing periods? I personally wouldn't switch/cancel to/from anyone til I was satisfied from experience, then port the numbers. Also, I use email or text apps (data) to eliminate texting expense.

Feedback Score
    Take the advice from above! Better you try a service before committing to it.

I would like to suggest a prepaid service that uses the Verizon network! It's called PagePlus Cellular!! You can even use the Verizon phone you have now on PagePkus. They offer a plan with unlimited calls and texts with 1gb a month for $55 a month. They offer other plans too. If interested then google them :-)

Phones
    LG enV Touch
    LG enV Touch
    Samsung Alias
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Do you have personal experience with PagePlus? Does it work seamlessly?

Also, is anyone using Republic Wireless?

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They have a forum where you will get more answers--I am interested myself.

Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    I work at metro pcs and have there service also for over 3 years, the company is good, its not the best with service like verizon, but it is ok..they did expand more of the network around the states, but its still glichy at times..the plans are truly unlimited not like others, and fees to pay the bill are only if you pay over the phone $2.00, machine $2.00, store $3.00..free is online, by mail, or automatic pay from debit/credit..go to www.metropcs.com check your coverage area 1st do research then make your desicion.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I have my mom on PPC but under their $10 Standard Plan. She hardly uses her cellphone but wants one when she's on vacay or out of the house. VZW probably has the best coverage area in the industry and there seems to be no difference when on PPC. My mom seems to be happy with PPC. The $10 provides $0.10 a minute for calls and $.07 per text with service good for 120 days and unused minutes rollover!! I pay $40 a year for my mom's cellular service! LoL. HoFo has a section dedicated to PPC.

Metro PCS seems like a good service is you have good service coverage in your area and don't travel outside it often.

Everyone uses their cellphone differently. That's why there's so many cellular service providers! LoL. However you are on the right track. Prepaid services in the way to go!! Hope you find one that fits you and also $ave$. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I just changed over from Sprint, where we had crappy service with them. My bill went from $160 down to $100. We have 4G in our town, and speed wise, it is like a very strong 3G. Traveled 6 hours away, and had service. My only gripe is that when I turn on 4G radio, takes a min to come up.

Phone
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    thats the phone lol and which ever app ur using to toggle it on and off when i had my indulge i used to use anycut then i made a short cut for the lte functionality test basically i could turn on/off my 4g now on my esteem theres no toggle but dont need it my battery life on stock is superb compared to stock battery of a indulge, and even more now that i have a extended battery for them long travels.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cluelessL View Post
    I have been a VZW customer for a long time. I like the coverage, voice quality and no hassle customer service. I don't like the price. I have just talk and text currently, but was looking to switch to smartphones.

The reason I want data is to be able to show my potential customers things on my own website(including videos), looking up pricing for parts when giving estimates, and checking email.

We are not too particular about the phones. They don't need to be trendy or super high-tech. They do need to work smoothly and sound good, and would prefer a physical keyboard.
    1) for good data speed, you want LTE. Metro's LTE is like really good 3G speed from Verizon: 1-5 mbps, depending on where you are. Metro's 3G (EVDO) speeds are capped in many markets at around 200 kbps. Some people may tell you there's a way to hack the system to "uncap" the EVDO speeds and get 900k - 1mbps, but I'm just telling you how it is when you sign up.

If you buy a CDMA-only phone you will be stuck with capped EVDO or 1xRTT (about 70k in real life). Metro is capping EVDO to make LTE look better. They want to move everyone to LTE as soon as possible.

For least data hassle, LTE is the way to go.

2) Metro currently does not sell any LTE phones with a physical keyboard. I wish they did -- especially one with current generation specs. I would get one for my wife. And no if someone offers you a used/refurbished Indulge (Metro's first LTE Android and it had a physical keyboard) run as fast as possible in the other direction. They don't sell it anymore and for good reason.

I would like (for my wife) something like the Esteem or Attain but with a slide out keyboard.

For your purposes, the 4.3" screen of the Esteem is big enough that some typing is OK. For complex emails, I still use the physical keyboard of my computer.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phones
    Lg Optimus
    LG Optimus M
    Carriers
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    I was an AT&T customer for many years (a retired employee) who paid next to nothing for service. Moved to Northern LA County and the service has horrid. Could not take a chance with spotty service so changed to Verizon. Service coverage was much better. After 9 years and not contract I wanted to upgrade my four lines. With their nickel and diming me and the amount of minutes, data, text messages etc my bill was going to be over 245 per month.

I then investigated Metro PCS. My wife said let's do it and I was very nervous. After investigating, I find that Metro uses mostly Verizon Towers where I am and my bill now for 4 lines all completely Andriod and all the bells and whistles is 175 per month all unlimited.

I would not say the service is perfect but then none is. At least it is better on my check book every month. The only thing I HATE about Metro is their lousy horrid customer service but from being in the industry I have learnt ways around it.

I would say if the coverage is there for it. I recently read in the Wall Street Journal that Verizon could careless about their rates and how high they go!

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would advise trying out the service first. Get new numbers from metroPCS for both phones, to try the service out. You may likely receive recycled numbers though (someone calling looking for someone who had the number previously).

If you like the service, you can then port your numbers out of Verizon over to the metroPCS phones.

Good luck.

Carriers
    verizon wireless
    t mobile
    Feedback Score
    ive used metro in the past. currently have a verizon line and a sprint line. if your using a non LTE smartphone metros 1x and even 3g networks are unusable for data. in most areas even if you get a good signal theres so much network conjestion even a simple you tube video takes forever to load and buffers like crazy. if you intend on uaing a simple feature phone ita fine. now there LTE speeds as stated are around 1-5 mbps download. on my verizon LTE phone i hit 22 consistantly. slowest i seen was 18. to me coupke this with 4 mbps download on 3g not to mention actual customer service and real tech support the choice is easy. id gladly pay extra for a better product. its like seeing 2 52 inch plasma tvs. ones 500 dollars cheaper but aint nearly as loaded or looks as good as the other. now metro may work and be fine for some but you always get exactly what you pay for. no more no less. a better cheaper option if your dead set on having a smartphone is t mobile. actual customer service and support even with there prepaid. hspa+ speeds at the same price point really as meteo. plus a virtually unlimited option of phones.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using HowardForums