Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switch from ATT to Straight talk with Avail...how to switch and keep numbers?

Feedback Score

Switch from ATT to Straight talk with Avail...how to switch and keep numbers?

I am switching two dumbphones from ATT and upgrading them both with the ATT Avail GoPhone. I am going to buy the phones off Amazon and get the BYOD cards from straight talk. Am I going to run into any issues with using these phones or with porting over my current numbers? Any order in which I should do things as to not mess anything up?

Thanks!

Carrier
    ST - Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Feedback Score
    Should be ez... did two myself. Just follow this link:

https://www.straighttalk.com/Activate

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any issues with the Avail or should it work good with straight talk?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    And I should order the regular sims right, not the micro?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RboarderI View Post
    Start first with the number port, followed immediately by the SIM activation.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Unless the phone uses a microSIM, get the regular SIM.

Sent from my LG Nitro HD

Feedback Score
    Yes, get the regular SIM. The phone works fine on ST. Good cheap intro to smart phones.
    I have one complaint. If I turn the phone off, when it restarts it uses the AT&T APN so data doesn't work. The StraightTalk APN is still there, it just switched to AT&T. So whenever I restart the phone I have to reset the APN.
    Again, it is only when the phone if turned off and restarted, not when the screen times out or locks.

I ported my phone number to GoogleVoice. Works well so far.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Michael View Post
    Yes, get the regular SIM. The phone works fine on ST. Good cheap intro to smart phones.
    I have one complaint. If I turn the phone off, when it restarts it uses the AT&T APN so data doesn't work. The StraightTalk APN is still there, it just switched to AT&T. So whenever I restart the phone I have to reset the APN.
    Again, it is only when the phone if turned off and restarted, not when the screen times out or locks.

I ported my phone number to GoogleVoice. Works well so far.
    Follow this:
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...d#Data_.26_MMS
    Use APN Backup and Restore to delete the AT&T APN

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Good thread, I'm wondering what happens to the warranty say when you buy the at&t go phone Avail, never use it with AT&T, add ST sim card to activate. Can you go back to AT&T for the warranty or should you add an extended warranty?

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    If you plan on transferring phone numbers you have with Go Phone, you have to call AT&T Go Phone's customer care and ask for the account numbers associated with those phone numbers. Each Go Phone line has an account number, but AT&T doesn't display it anywhere on their website. Straight Talk will ask you for the account number when porting over. You also need your Go Phone security PIN -- that's the 4-digit number you use when logging into the Go Phone on-line account manager.

As for the AT&T Avail, it's a nice entry-level smartphone. It won't give you serious gaming performance but it exceeds the expectations when it comes to everyday tasks. As others have said, you need to order Straight Talk's regular SIM (what they call mini SIM), not micro SIM.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzy View Post
    Good thread, I'm wondering what happens to the warranty say when you buy the at&t go phone Avail, never use it with AT&T, add ST sim card to activate. Can you go back to AT&T for the warranty or should you add an extended warranty?
    Your warranty is with the manufacturer of the phone and not with the carrier. The carrier may act as an agent for the manufacturer as a courtesy to the customer.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CeluGeek View Post
    If you plan on transferring phone numbers you have with Go Phone, you have to call AT&T Go Phone's customer care and ask for the account numbers associated with those phone numbers. Each Go Phone line has an account number, but AT&T doesn't display it anywhere on their website. Straight Talk will ask you for the account number when porting over. You also need your Go Phone security PIN -- that's the 4-digit number you use when logging into the Go Phone on-line account manager.

As for the AT&T Avail, it's a nice entry-level smartphone. It won't give you serious gaming performance but it exceeds the expectations when it comes to everyday tasks. As others have said, you need to order Straight Talk's regular SIM (what they call mini SIM), not micro SIM.
    I will be actually transferring my numbers from a regular AT&T account. So I shouldn't have any issues right? I am only buying the android gophones to use on straight talk. They will never be activated wih gophone.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    I will be actually transferring my numbers from a regular AT&T account. So I shouldn't have any issues right? I am only buying the android gophones to use on straight talk. They will never be activated wih gophone.
    If you are transfering from a postpaid AT&T account, that'll be easier because your AT&T bills do list your account number. You should be good to go with the Avail phones, as long as you follow the directions for setting up the Straight Talk APN.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    To get this straight, I'm planning on buying a new ATnt go-phones say off of Amazon or WM. I thought I could just buy the phone, add new ST sim card, then activate directly with ST avoiding any contact with ATnT? So are you saying I will have to activate the go-phone first before I can switch over the ST? Is there an account # attached to the phone before it's shipped that's why I would have to call ATnT? I assume the pin is what you enter when you setup an account with ATnt. As for the phone we have now, it's a ST and I plan on backing up the phone before porting over to the Avail. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by grizzy; 04-04-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast