Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything you CAN'T do with WIFI only (and no data)?

Feedback Score

Is there anything you CAN'T do with WIFI only (and no data)?

I have a Droid Eris I'm planning to activate with PagePlus and planning to get the $10 standard plan, so I don't plan on using any data. I also have no experience with smartphones so this will be my first.

Is there anything I can't do with WIFI only? (even if in a wifi zone)

Can I receive MMS messages? Is MMS even considered data?

Can I upload pictures I took earlier after I enter a wifi zone, etc?

Sorry if these are very stupid questions...it's hard for me to understand the difference between things like data and other forms of packets sent and received.

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    MMS cannot function without mobile data provided by the carrier. On wifi only you may not even receive notice an MMS message was sent to you depending on the handset.

You can send photos on wifi provided they are sent as email attachments or via 3rd party software like end note, facebook, or similar program. Just not as an MMS to another person.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!

So MMS is the only "special" type of data that can't go through phone service or wifi?

It just seems weird because I seem to remember MMS existing before smartphones and data plans came about. Either way, I don't use MMS on my feature phone so it's not a big loss.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yep, no MMS over WiFi. That should be the only thing that won't work.

Carriers
    ATT,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoxg3 View Post

It just seems weird because I seem to remember MMS existing before smartphones and data plans came about. Either way, I don't use MMS on my feature phone so it's not a big loss.
    MMS fees were charged by the kb in accordance with the size of the image sent/ received in addition to a charge for the MMS message itself.
    Its still that way for people who don't have data plans on almost all the carriers.
    People with feature phones aren't required to purchase data plans by the major carriers but they still can do data/MMS

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icebook View Post
    MMS cannot function without mobile data provided by the carrier. On wifi only you may not even receive notice an MMS message was sent to you depending on the handset.

You can send photos on wifi provided they are sent as email attachments or via 3rd party software like end note, facebook, or similar program. Just not as an MMS to another person.
    I have a similar question. Next month I think I might only have 100MB data once I switch plans. I just had someone send me a test MMS message with BOTH data and WIFI turned off on my phone. I still received the picture. I assume it cannot use my alloted data if I have 3G turned off?

The TNT1200 plan includes 3000 SMS or MMS. If data is turned off, would I still receive the MMS? IT seems I just did with my experiment...I am confused.
    Droid X / Droid 2 Global / Incredible
    PPC - TNT1200

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by file014 View Post
    I have a similar question. Next month I think I might only have 100MB data once I switch plans. I just had someone send me a test MMS message with BOTH data and WIFI turned off on my phone. I still received the picture. I assume it cannot use my alloted data if I have 3G turned off?

The TNT1200 plan includes 3000 SMS or MMS. If data is turned off, would I still receive the MMS? IT seems I just did with my experiment...I am confused.
    This is the default setting for the Incredible. When a MMS is received, the Incredible will automatically turn on cellular data to download it.

I can't guarantee this, but the following might prevent cellular data from automatically turning on when a MMS is received.

Open Messages>>Menu>>Settings>>[UNcheck] Auto-retrieve (under MMS settings)

If you test it again after making this change, please post back with the results. Thanks!
    Last edited by Boz1; 04-06-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    This is the default setting for PPC. When a MMS is received, the Incredible will automatically turn on cellular data to download it.

I can't guarantee this, but the following might prevent cellular data from automatically turning on when a MMS is received.

Open Messages>>Menu>>Settings>>[UNcheck] Auto-retrieve (under MMS settings)

If you test it again after making this change, please post back with the results. Thanks!
    You are correct. I turned off "auto retrieve" just as you described and the phone told me I had a multimedia message (by regular SMS text I assume) and said I have 5 days to accept or decline it, and how many kb the pic was. It was only 14kb anyway, which is not going to burn through 100mb too quickly. Sending high quality pics through gmail is mostly how I burn through data, since I avoid pandora and netflix unless on wifi.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the confirmation!

Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You are correct. I turned off "auto retrieve" just as you described and the phone told me I had a multimedia message (by regular SMS text I assume) and said I have 5 days to accept or decline it, and how many kb the pic was. It was only 14kb anyway, which is not going to burn through 100mb too quickly. Sending high quality pics through gmail is mostly how I burn through data, since I avoid pandora and netflix unless on wifi.
    you can also download texting / mms apps that run through android if you send pictures back in forth with certain people frequently. If you go this route you can send / receive the pictures over wifi and don't have to enable data. The downside is the person sending the picture must also use the app.

WhatApp Messenger is probably the most widely used one and is cross platform (Android / iOS / Nokia / Windows Phone / Blackberry)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...53aGF0c2FwcCJd

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Another development tonight. While connected to wifi, MMS comes in. Choose to download it, and now 3G kicks on to download the pic. 3G is not disconnected, but why would it kick on when Im on wifi? WTH?

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Another development tonight. While connected to wifi, MMS comes in. Choose to download it, and now 3G kicks on to download the pic. 3G is not disconnected, but why would it kick on when Im on wifi? WTH?
    Because you have Auto-retreive checked under MMS settings in Messages.

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Because you have Auto-retreive checked under MMS settings in Messages.
    Nope, I've left if off since the last go around. I have to hit "download" or "decline" now. If I hit download, 3G comes on even though I'm on wifi! 3G is not disabled, but it still kicks on even with wifi bars next to it. Makes no sense!

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Nope, I've left if off since the last go around. I have to hit "download" or "decline" now. If I hit download, 3G comes on even though I'm on wifi! 3G is not disabled, but it still kicks on even with wifi bars next to it. Makes no sense!
    You can only retrieve or send an MMS over 3G. The MMS pics will not come in over WiFi.

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgg View Post
    You can only retrieve or send an MMS over 3G. The MMS pics will not come in over WiFi.
    Well that explains it then.

I need to figure out how to not "auto retrieve" images in gmail. Next month I go down to 100MB data and will have to wait to see pics until on wifi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast