iPhone 3GS
    SE K770i (stolen)
    SE W200/T310/T300 (2003-2009)
    Carriers
    Fido
    Maxis
    Feedback Score

Rogers official unlocking service

Just noticed that this appears in FAQ thread? Can a Mod please move it to appropriate forum? Thanks

Before I call rogers and might be pushed around various departments, perhaps some one here can help explain about the unlocking service offered by Rogers.

I had this done a year ago when I was in possession of a locked iPhone 3GS that was out of contract. I believe the service charge was around $50. Right now, I might be the owner of a new iPhone on a 36 months voice only contract. The Economic Inducement based on my bill is $50. I have the intention to cancel the contract ASAP and pay the "Service Deactivation Fee" and/or "Device Savings Recovery Fee" which should be around $50 plus taxes (QC). Is that correct? Once that is done. Is my phone eligible for the $50 unlocking by Rogers?

Thanks in advance.

Phones
    Nokia 6126
    Ericsson Z500 [hated it]
    NTT DoCoMo N505i
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I was about to post a similar thread, so I guess I'll piggyback off yours instead. I can't figure out what my economic inducement is (I can't find it on the bill that was issued around the time I upgraded to the iPhone last September) but whatever, I figure it must be in the order of $300-$400 (I had some time remaining on the contract and I HUPed). So my contract runs out somewhere in 2015, so fine.

The question is, if I pay the remainder of the fee (I guess it will be the full ECF + maybe DECF), so $400, willl I get access to the unlocking service and walk away with an unlocked iPhone?
    Realtime hiphop freestyle battles online - www.letsbeef.com!

Feedback Score
    To Oink, don't be confused by the wording for Quebec, it's not $50 to cancel, even if you are in Quebec. Unless you have some type of loophole thing figured out, if you sign a contract, whatever discount you received on your phone is your economic inducement. The $50 "cancellation fee" is for people who sign contracts but don't take a phone.

Anyways, besides that, the phone line has to be cancelled first and the "cancellation fee" paid in order to unlock it. Funny enough, to unlock it, you also need a Rogers account, which you won't have if you cancel (unless you have other lines, of course). But if that is your only Rogers line and cancel, you will have to set up a pay as you go account so you can have a Rogers account so the unlocking can be done.

Phones
    Nokia 6126
    Ericsson Z500 [hated it]
    NTT DoCoMo N505i
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    That is seriously the most bizarre thing I have ever heard. I guess it's in place to discourage cancel+unlocking+jumping providers, but jeez, wtf.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    iPhone 6
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If I am able to upgrade phones on a 12 month schedule with my corporate account, can I unlock my iPhone after 12 months without upgrading? If not, does the answer change if I upgrade the phone after 12 months?