Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: TracFone Samsung R455C reviews/thoughts

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can you transfer or edit contacts (or memos) on this phone from a computer with Bluetooth? I have the usb cable and I can only access the ring tones and picture folders on the microSD card from a computer. I really didn't want to enter all my contacts in by hand on the phone keyboard.

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teck73 View Post
    When I plug it in repeatedly, it seems to trick it into doing what it's supposed to.
    You have be at the home screen before plugging in the usb cable. You can ensure this by pressing the red "END" key first, then connect the usb cable. Then it should connect as a mass storage device. If you connect the cable with any other screen up, like the menus or the "my folders" screen, then it will not connect as a mass storage device (it will connect as a modem, which doesn't work) and not be useful.

So try that, it might be whats happening to you.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone figured out if I can block a number on this phone? Or send them to a reject list?

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jzigzag44 View Post
    Can you transfer or edit contacts (or memos) on this phone from a computer with Bluetooth?
    When using Bluetooth to connect to a computer, you'll see the folders created on the card, as well as the ones on the phone memory, (ie: Images /Card Images etc.), but they're essentially the same folders as when using a USB cable. Nothing like "Contacts or memos" comes up. From the contacts list it gives you the option to "Send name card via Bluetooth". I haven't tried it to see if/how it works.

You have be at the home screen before plugging in the usb cable. You can ensure this by pressing the red "END" key first, then connect the usb cable.
    Yeah, I'm at the home screen when it doesn't work for me. It connects for about a second (Says USB Mass Storage or whatever) then disconnects. On any other screen it won't connect at all, (just charges the battery). I've tried pretty much everything, (different cables, memory cards,and computers, and different modes on the phone). Other people have had this happen as well. My Wife's R455C connects fine. Some phones just don't seem to connect properly, and some do.

Feedback Score
    Can you transfer or edit contacts (or memos) on this phone from a computer with Bluetooth? I have the usb cable and I can only access the ring tones and picture folders on the microSD card from a computer. I really didn't want to enter all my contacts in by hand on the phone keyboard.
    The phone accepts .vcf files. These are plain text files with a format that looks like:

BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:2.1
    FN:Bay Bridge
    N:Bay Bridge
    TEL;WORK:8772297726
    END:VCARD

It's the same format used by lots of phones. I was able to send my entire contact list from my LG500g to my R455c using Bluetooth. All the numbers transferred, but the Contacts in the LG had more fields (e.g., separate last name and first name fields), so some entries were messed up.

Many desktop address book programs can export the data in the .vcf format. You can have more than 1 entry per file. Just make sure that the first line isn't blank. My phone rebooted when I tried to send over a file with a blank first line.

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score

backup and restore contacts via bluetooth

I just purchased the Asus model USB-BT211 usb bluetooth dongle for desktop computer. It does allow me to push or get Contacts from the Samsung R455C Tracfone. You can backup or restore Contacts over bluetooth to the pc using the "vcard" format (.vcf files) and the "Object Push" profile.

This doesn't work over the usb cable but it does work over bluetooth.

It does not allow for sending or receiving Memos but it does work with Contacts.

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stompoutloud View Post
    I am still looking to see if i can download some games where I don't need to slide open the keypad. Anyone know any, please post. Thanks.
    Yeah, I downloaded a nice calculator app but the slider has to be open for it, so the keypad is sideways from the display and is completely ridiculous for use as a calculator!

It seems like maybe the phone requires the slider to be open for downloaded apps, but I don't know why!

Phone
    Moto V325i
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What software are you using to push the vcard files to the phone? My sch-r455c phone won't connect via bluetooth to Kies beyond pairing the devices. The USB cable never connects beyond the software acting as if it knows there's something there to connect to. Really want to get my contacts out of Outlook into the phone, but I think I have one of the unconnectable ones.
    Last edited by snowrx; 06-05-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Left out phone model to assist searching

Feedback Score
    Try OBEX Commander.

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
    What software are you using to push the vcard files to the phone? My sch-r455c phone won't connect via bluetooth to Kies beyond pairing the devices. The USB cable never connects beyond the software acting as if it knows there's something there to connect to. Really want to get my contacts out of Outlook into the phone, but I think I have one of the unconnectable ones.
    Forget Kies, don't run it. The process to send contacts back to the phone will be specific to the software that came with your bluetooth dongle. Called Bluetooth Manager or something like that. Start it by clicking the bluetooth icon in the system tray.

When you send the contacts from the phone to the computer you initiate the transfer on the phone. When you do the reverse, you initiate the transfer on the computer. (After pairing of course)

With the software that came with the Asus dongle, you start the bluetooth manager by double clicking the tray icon. Then find the profile called “Object Push” and double click it. It opens up a browser window where you can go find the .vcf files and select the ones that you want to send back to the phone, then hit “send” and it starts pushing them to the phone. Then on the phone you have to allow the connection to start by hitting “ok” and then the transfer occurs.

There is also an option to send individual contacts from Outlook Express (instead of .vcf files) to the phone.

I guess it’s possible that some dongles don’t include the “Object Push” profile in their included software, but I know that the Asus one does. I actually borrowed the Asus one from a friend to try it out. I’ll be going to Best Buy pretty soon to see what they have in stock for dongles. If I wind up with a different brand, I’ll report back on the results of that one.

As far as connecting via usb cable, make sure "PC Connection" is enabled under the "settings" menu. Go to "settings" -> "phone settings"-> "PC Connection" -> "USB Mass Storage". If that is already on and the phone still doesn't connect, then I guess there are other problems. Mine connects every time as long as I'm on the home screen (wall paper showing) when plugging in.

Also you can only move contacts via bluetooth. There is no access to contacts via the usb cable.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I downloaded a nice calculator app but the slider has to be open for it, so the keypad is sideways from the display and is completely ridiculous for use as a calculator!

It seems like maybe the phone requires the slider to be open for downloaded apps, but I don't know why!
    Yeah, I mean, I can close it but it stays sideways. Not sure why. Oh well. I got a bunch of games and it's fine.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    I am sure most of you have figured this out, but you can download ringtones and wallpapers directly to your phone via the mobile web if you go to http://m.zedge.net When they ask you to set up your phone, don't worry about it. Just go to what ringtone you want and download. If it doesn't work, it will say so.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    anyone download games? which ones work well?

Phone
    Moto V325i
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

It works

Bluetooth manager worked fine with my generic bluetooth dongle. Could not see how to mass export the .vcf files from Outlook 2007, but managed to mail them 30 or 40 at a time to myself and save the attachments to a folder, then push them from there. A little time consuming pushing the files through one at a time, but better than entering them from the phone keyboard! Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Forget Kies, don't run it. The process to send contacts back to the phone will be specific to the software that came with your bluetooth dongle. Called Bluetooth Manager or something like that. Start it by clicking the bluetooth icon in the system tray.

Also you can only move contacts via bluetooth. There is no access to contacts via the usb cable.

Phones
    Nokia 2126i
    Samsung R455C
    Carrier
    Tracfone on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
    A little time consuming pushing the files through one at a time, but better than entering them from the phone keyboard! Thanks for the detailed instructions.
    vcf files are just text files and they can be opened with NotePad. Outlook exports the contacts with only one contact in each file. You can open a vcf file with NotePad and then cut and paste the contents of all the other vcf files into it so all your contacts are in a single file. Then you can just move that single file via bluetooth and all your contacts will be transferred at once.

I guess I should have explained that earlier, to save you some trouble.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast