Thread: Shaw Wireless Rumor (From Cable Installation Guy)

Phones
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    OLD - Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55
    Carrier
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Vancouver Shaw Wireless Rumor (From Cable Installation Guy)

I was told much to suprise that Shaw Wirless isn't going to use UMTS/HSPA/GSM/LTE/or CDMA. Rather, it will operate on a Shaw Wi-Fi. This was told to me by a cable guy. Don't get my stated on Wi-Fi, it has little if no range and isn't nearly as reliable as concrete mobile technologies like those offered by the GSMA. I don't know if this guy was making it up but he seemed very certain. But I can guarantee those in the know about mobile technology wouldn't use a Wi-Fi based phone if they had a gun to thier head. And since Wi-Fi mobile outdoor proliferation is next to nothing the phones offered are going to be garbage. This is a nice way of getting out of paying spectrum auction fees are Shaw can sell the spectrum they bought to hungry new entrants and the old guard big three looking for more AWS for LTE before the 700Mhz auction. Any thruth in this?
    -Swapping SIM cards since 2001-

Phones:Samsung Galaxy S II LTE I727R, Sony Ericsson Xperia ARC LT15a, BB Torch, HTC Desire Z - Dream - Diamond, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, Omnia II US, BB Bold 9000, Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55, MOTOROLA DPC 550 (Analogue), AudioBox CDM-4000 and 4500 (Ghey), Nokia 3390

Carriers: Rogers, Telus GSM/CDMA, Fido, Bell GSM (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T.

Phones
    iPhone 5c, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, iPhone 4S, Nexus 4,
    BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    This is not really recent news. It was announced last year that Shaw would be abandoning their plans to launch a cell network but focusing on wifi instead.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2149909/
    http://business.financialpost.com/20...-for-wifi-net/

Phones
    Galaxy S II LTE,SE Xperia ARC, BB Torch,HTC Desire Z, Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a and X10, BB Bold 9000
    OLD - Nokia N97 N95-3, K790a, W810i, W600i, S710a, Z600i, V3 RAZR, Nokia 3100b, Simens M55
    Carrier
    Rogers, Telus (CRAP), Fido, Bell (CRAP), Orange SK, T-Mobile SK-DE-US, O2 DE, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well, then their network is going to be rubbish. Wi-Fi? C'mon. What about all the bandwidth they bought, did they resell it?

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
    Archived: Motorola Milestone, HTC Touch Diamond CDMA, LG 8100, Samsung A540
    Retired: Panasonic Allure TX310, Nokia 5100 Series PAYG
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    They can't resell it for some time (I'm unsure of the exact time frame. When the time comes, it will likely be quite valuable, especially to the new entrants, as it is focused in the urban centres out west.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Shaw Wireless Rumor (From Cable Installation Guy)

I assume whatever cell phone network would be based on Shaw's current exo deployment. If you go on the website it shows a blue haze over my neighborhood but I don't relieve signal until about a block up the street. Whether the phone Shaw will have will be more powerful, or this is a sign of how the service will be.

I rarely use Shaw exo WiFi because it's not at my work and it doesn't work right when I'm on the bus even though the whole route is covered.

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Shaw Wireless Rumor (From Cable Installation Guy)

Shaw is a joke. The place was run by a drunk for years. The Shaws have taken a lot of money for themselves in recent years.

Stay away.