Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: US Cellular for Tracfone

Feedback Score

Question US Cellular for Tracfone

I have a tracfone LG231c and live in a rural area. I also have a US Cellular tower just across my yard fence. Unfortunately, tracfone insists on programming my phone to Verizon based upon my zip code. I have poor coverage with Verizon out here. Is there some other zip code I can turn in to TF to get this phone connected to this US Cellular tower?????

Thanks, Archie

Feedback Score
    Try

63552 MACON, MO USCC US CELLULAR

and maybe also

65265 MEXICO MO US Cellular
    65270 MOBERLY MO US Cellular

Let us know if it works so we can all keep up to date and help others in the future who need the same info.

Feedback Score
    You could also try calling the headquarters customer service at 305-715-6500 on a weekday (make sure you don't get forwarded to the outsourced help). They can likely select that carrier for you. But you may not get a local number if the only contract they have for your area is with Verizon. Anyway, you will have the best help with the situation.

Feedback Score
    I live in a very rural area as well. I was activated on Verizon, the closest tower was 30 miles away. US Cellular then put a tower up about 8 miles away. I called in to get on that tower, it was quite an ordeal to get them to do it, but they did. That worked for a couple years or so. Then, they said they were terminating their agreement with USCellular for activation last year, I don't know if it was everywhere or just here, but lots of people were being switched. So I was forced to go back to the Verizon tower, 30 miles away. It would hold on to 0 bar service or no service, calls would drop, and I had no service in any of my buildings. Very, very rarely it would roam and I would have service, but it never stuck and I could never use my phone to make calls, again, like it was before the US Cell tower. Luckily Verizon put up a new tower by the US Cell one, so I have service again, barely (because they put up a short stub tower about half the height of a normal tower, I suspect they were only caring about covering the village it's by). Actually though, the signal gets in my house a ~bit better than the US Cellular one.

I'll second not calling the normal support, use what was given above. Sometimes it's more productive to talk to a stuffed bear than to talk to the normal service. They also have tracfoneforum, employees are there, it isn't great either, but I'd say better than normal support. I usually either use that or email them directly instead of calling anyway, I usually don't have any problems that way.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Archie, Had the exact same problem here in East Tn. When I first started with tracfone about 4-5 yrs ago. I called customer service, told them the problem (constant roaming at home) & they switched me to us cellular. Since then, I have updated my phones several times & usually I get transfered back to verizon. Only once did I get a person that knew what they were doing & flawlessly transfered time & service to us cell. It gets harder to get it done each time. The last time I was without phone service for 30 days. There seem to be only a very few in customer service that can get it done correctly. Most will tell you they will fix it, but they won't (call Miami & cross your fingers). For a time the phones that were activated on verizon wouldn't roam in my home area, they would only go to no service. But recently I updated one of my phones to a 501c, again getting swapped from us cell to verizon, but now, when I have no service at home, it will roam on us cell. The biggest issue with this is the verizon service has to be completely dead before it will roam (& we all know how good the calls are with less than 1 bar)) Also tracfone on us cellular has no internet (I would gladly trade that off for good reception) I was also thinking like you, wanting to know which zip I could use to guarantee us cellular, but there goes our local number..... let me know how things work out for you.

Feedback Score
    Try

27030 -- Mount Airy, North Carolina -- UNITED STATES CELLULAR CORP

or

28694 -- West Jefferson, North Carolina -- UNITED STATES CELLULAR CORP

I can't guarantee this info is current, but I believe it was true in the not too distant past.

Please let us know your results if you try either of these, thanks.

Feedback Score
    I absolutely struck out trying to get ANYONE at Tracfone to get me connected to US Cellular or even to reprogram the phone back to allow it to ROAM more often off of US Cellular, which it used to do when I first bought it and prior to Tracone re-programming it to search the web while near this US Cellular tower in my neighbors back yard.

I haven't yet tried telling tracfone I live in a different Zip.

thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

Archie

Feedback Score
    I've had the same experience, after being with Tracfone for over 8yrs, I upgraded to the LG501C and requested my old number, instead, I got a Verizon number with no coverage in my area. (my old phone used USCellular and worked everywhere), I purchased another airtime card and reactivated my old phone (requesting my old number) and instead it was also assigned a Verizon number. Tracfone refuses to switch my phone back to the USCellular network!!

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    US Cellular charges high rates be lucky you can use them at all...for example they charge $10 a month just to have a PREPAID line whether you make a call or not. If it weren't for their coverage in rurals they'd be long gone. Verizon is very good but there are spots where USCC is the only viable option and my trusty old LG290C will still roam just fine on USCC when needed. I'm not surprised they won't activate a line full-time on USCC or would need to be heavily twisted to do so.

Carrier
    ATT postpaid
    Feedback Score
    try 04920 Bingham Maine for a zipcode in USCC only. I know for a while TF was not selling phones for USCC areas, but recently, I saw 3 in this area.
    http://www.racefansforever.weebly.com// For a Fan's perspective on NASCAR racing.

http://kevdogg329.blogspot.com/ My Personal Blog

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php For good information about safety razor shaving, and straight edge shaving

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    In some us cellular areas Walmart has prepaid phones from them. It is called uprepaid. They have daily rates not sure how they work. Also have 30-50 dollar a month plans as well. I haven't activated a trac on uscc in a year or 2 but when I did I used Macon mo and Mexico mo zips.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phone
    LG 3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I did an update on Tracfone after a botched porting attempt to a new phone and now my phone ROAMS all of the time. I used to be on US Cellular tower but I think the code that Tracfone gave booted me off that network I was on for the last five years with great receptions. Now it ROAMS all of the time with iffy reception. As far as I'm concerned, what is happening is theft. To save a buck it sounds like they give people poor quality and service that isn't on par with what they had when they signed on. A reliable network is what we are paying for so if we are switched to other networks because they are cheaper for Tracfone but the customer gets poorer quality service that is just plane theft. It makes having a Tracfone pointless at least if you are someone that got booted from better service / reception (US Cellular).

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how much you use your cell phone but us cellular has a prepaid brand at Walmart.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    LG 3280
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    I don't know how much you use your cell phone but us cellular has a prepaid brand at Walmart.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Thanks pattyrn. I am seriously planning on jumping ship from Tracfone. Nobody can fix the problem, well at least the one that was caused by the code the the Tracfone customer service gave me. I could even deal with not being able to text if I could get my phone back to not ROAMing in my home area. Uugh!

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    Thanks pattyrn. I am seriously planning on jumping ship from Tracfone. Nobody can fix the problem, well at least the one that was caused by the code the the Tracfone customer service gave me. I could even deal with not being able to text if I could get my phone back to not ROAMing in my home area. Uugh!
    Honestly, leaving may be your best bet if USC is the main carrier in your area. It's $10/mo and $0.10/min which isn't exactly cheap - but I would prefer a working cell phone over none at all. Your only other choice would be a monthly postpaid Verizon plan, which starts at $45/mo. $29.99 if you (or someone you know who would do put the plan under their name) is 65+ years old which would qualify for their senior plan. A regular Verizon plan should roam on USC just fine.

TracFone will probably end up moving all USC customers off eventually anyway, since together, Verizon and AT&T coverage just about everywhere. For the few low usage customers that cost them $$ to use USC, I'm not sure it's worth it for them to keep.

You could try their chat feature, I think you can get to it from their Facebook page. They were mildly helpful. Doesn't hurt to just ask as many people as possible, maybe someone will know how to fix it. Just remember that it's going to be a hassle like this every time anything needs to be done to your phone or account - and see if that's worth it for you.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast