Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MVNO and 4G Data (Information and Questions)

Feedback Score

Exclamation MVNO and 4G Data (Information and Questions)

Hey there,

Brand new to the forums, but a long time reader. Having recently switched from Sprint to a GSM MVNO, I find myself at a loss for how behind the technology the MVNO operators are occasionally. So, I started doing some research...and it lead to questions (very few with answers).

Which MVNO offer 4G data speeds and plans? Can anyone confirm the following at all (who uses them)?

A) Simple Mobile (HSPA+, $60 Unlimited). Is it any good? What kinds of speeds do you pick up? Are they capped like their 3G plan? My friend has it and said no. He picked up anywhere from 5.3 mbps to 7.8 mbps in our area. Anyone else have similar experiences? Anyone get capped?

B) Go Red Pocket (HSPA+? LTE?, $60 2GB). I called their customer service and they stated that you would get 4G if it was available in your area because they use the AT&T network. Now, I'm skeptical...anyone actually pick up AT&T 4G on Go Red Pocket? What is your experience? If yes, caps?

C) Jolt Mobile (HSPA+? LTE?, $60 2GB). I called their customer service and they stated that they would have to get back to me about it and filed a technical support claim (their website advertises 4G data). I recieved an e-mail stating they would follow up on this and are looking into if their 4G is HSPA+ or LTE. Now, anyone using Jolt with a 4G device? What are you picking up? What is your experience? Caps?

Lastly, anyone have any that are NOT on this list? I like my 4G speeds and would love to continue accessing 4G networks. Any MVNOs with 4G on Verizon? I've searched high and low and their just seems to be a lack of information on 4G with MVNOs. All lists and summaries and things are dated from years ago. Any besides Simple Mobile offer unlimited 4G data? Will take any information at all, especially about the above.

Much appreciated! Thanks tons! - D

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s, Droid Turbo 2, Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Most of everything you asked could be found by using search, especially Simple (and yes it is capped) who has it's own forum.

Red Pocket is true HSPA+ no throttle with an (as advertised) 2GB cap. LTE has yet to be reported and with it still being rolled out, coupled with the high expense of a device I don't think we will know for a while.

Jolt, read above.

No LTE on any variant of a Verizon MVNO or Verizon prepaid. Unlimited 3G is available using Verizon prepaid.

Sent from my Infuse 4G

Feedback Score
    Hey bill,

Thanks for the quick response. I did search and I didn't really find answers to those questions. Plus, especially with LTE being so new, I hadn't seen any threads that specifically covered that. If you can direct me to those threads, I'd appreciate it.

As for Simple: I'm aware the 3G was capped at 120 kbps. What about 4G? Where is that capped at?

As for AT&T MVNO, is LTE possible if it is available in my area with an LTE capable device? I don't really trust CS Reps, but they seemed sure LTE was available. Anyone else here have any experiences to share? Looking to get a complete picture.

Thanks for the help in advance. :-)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UserDemos View Post
    Hey bill,

Thanks for the quick response. I did search and I didn't really find answers to those questions. Plus, especially with LTE being so new, I hadn't seen any threads that specifically covered that. If you can direct me to those threads, I'd appreciate it.

As for Simple: I'm aware the 3G was capped at 120 kbps. What about 4G? Where is that capped at?

As for AT&T MVNO, is LTE possible if it is available in my area with an LTE capable device? I don't really trust CS Reps, but they seemed sure LTE was available. Anyone else here have any experiences to share? Looking to get a complete picture.

Thanks for the help in advance. :-)
    A full list of GSM MVNO's that offers good amounts of data is as follows:
    1. Straight Talk / Net10 (SAME EXACT COMPANY/SERVICE) 2. Red Pocket 3. Jolt Mobile 4. H2O Wireless 5. AirVoice Wireless
    6. T-Mobile 7. Simple Mobile

There aren't any reports of anyone getting LTE on any MVNO or prepaid service so you can forget about that.
    On the other hand, you can definitely get HSPA+ with the ones I just listed above.
    Straight Talk, Red Pocket, and T-Mobile are currently the most recommended.

Take into consideration that each MVNO has it's pluses and negatives as reported here on the forums.
    Straight Talk / Net10, Red Pocket, Jolt Mobile are reported not to be throttled and provide the same speeds as postpaid. As far as H2O and AirVoice are concerned, there isn't much current information out there since most aren't using them with smartphones and H2O was reported several months ago to be throttled like "Go Phone". Also, H2O has had their share of problems with customer service and them not being clear on what their "unlimited" really is. As of now, H2O is best for pay as you go plans but not for a smartphone user looking to get a great experience. AirVoice only offer 500 MB at most so compared to the competitors they aren't a bargain but they are totally honest about how many minutes you get on their plans.

I just spoke to a rep over at Jolt Mobile and asked a bunch of questions and I was informed that their unlimited was a total combination of 5,000 (whether talk or text). They call that unlimited? It's a joke as no other mvno offers this little amount of usage. But what can you expect from an MVNO that operates off another MVNO - Red Pocket.

Red Pocket has happy users and they provide something like 8,000 minutes / 6,000 texts which is plenty. The only issue we have heard of is that they don't have a reserve system for payments which means you need to make a payment on the last day of the month if you don't want to lose any days remaining. The good thing about Red Pocket is that it's an honest 2 GB which you can use however you'd like and not worry about being suspended say you used 500 MB's in one day.

Straight Talk is the best value and you get HSPA+ speeds just like AT&T postpaid but they have a cap on the data which is something like 100 MB per day / 2 GB per month. If you can live with that then Straight Talk would be an excellent option for you. Straight Talk doesn't limit you on minutes/text - it's been reported to be UNLIMITED.

Simple Mobile's 3G plans are throttled to 120 Kbps which is really a "2G" plan. What about their $60 "4G" plan?
    I wish I can tell you as a fact that it's throttled as well but I can only give you that statement as a fact in a week's time when I"ll have T-Mobile and I will be running speedtests in the same exact locations.
    I currently get 1.5 Mbps on average on Simple Mobile's "4G" plan. Is it throttled? I believe so, but I can only make that conclusion once I get T-Mobile and run all the tests necessary to find out if Simple Mobile is pulling the same throttling scam as the "3G" plan. Also, take into consideration that Simple Mobile don't provide the roaming and wifi calling that T-Mobile provides and for the price of $60 (minus $3 if you refill from calling mart with a coupon) you can just hop on board with T-Mobile and have truly unlimited data after the 2GB of 4G data runs out which you will be throttled to 2G speeds. Simple Mobile will kick you off after 3GB of usage from what the most recent post has stated, though it was 1GB a year ago and 2GB not long ago.
    There's also Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim, whether it's the same speeds as T-Mobile or throttled like Simple Mobile, I don't know since I've never tried it. I'm not sure at what amount of minutes Simple Mobile clips off their customers but it is very rare so I'm guessing it's a huge amount of minutes, you can search the Simple Mobile forum on that. T-Mobile is truly unlimited in all 3 areas and they clearly advertise when the throttle for the 2G speeds kicks in.

You will not get anything higher than basic 3G EVDO speeds on Verizon prepaid whether through Verizon or Page Plus. Only get Page Plus if you really need Verizon as if your area only covers you well with Verizon. You'd get unlimited talk+text+1 GB of Verizon's lousy 3G data.

GSM prepaid is the most recommended since you have a lot of freedom in regards to the devices. You can try out a company then leave if you don't like them at the end of the month. Most sim cards can be bought for $1 on eBay. With CDMA, you don't know for a fact whether a specific phone will be allowed for activation so why take a chance? There's tons of talk on which devices are permitted but the truth is you just don't know if the ESN is blacklisted or whether Verizon doesn't allow that device on their MVNO. Besides, do you like not being able to get data while being in a call? Also, it depends on which device you plan to use...for example if you're an iPhone person then AT&T MVNO is your only option (using an iPhone on T-Mobile or Simple Mobile is DUMB!). Someone who is using a BlackBerry can only chose T-Mobile or Simple Mobile. Which device you want to use will also help you decide on where to go.
    Hope this information helps you out and post more questions, we will try to answer them. I been on these Forums from the day I joined reading tons of posts and have gathered as much information as I can in the process.

Feedback Score
    Great post by Danny. Btw, to OP, there is no 4G LTE on prepaid at this time except maybe Metro PCS .

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    At one point Red Pocket listed LTE on its site. For some reason, its no longer there. Until we get an actual Red Pocket user with an LTE device in an LTE coverage area, its anyone's guess.

I'm getting anywhere from 3-5Mbps down with Red Pocket which is plenty fast for me.

I'm not so sure I care about blazing fast LTE with a 2GB cap.

If the OP is in a T-Mobile coverage area, there are two 5GB plans available on prepaid.

Sent from my Infuse 4G

Feedback Score
    Hello all,

Great posts! Thank you all! I'm definitely going to look into some of those options.

Danny: my brother uses Simple Mobile on 4G and claims his speeds are not throttled. He gets around 5-8 mbps down and about 1-3 down. The graph on a speed test seems to indicate no throttling as it has varied charting, whereas their 3G speed test was a straight line indicating throttling. I'm curious if he was grand-fathered into a non-throttled plan or if their 4G is actually unthrottled. He also has reported unlimited usage. This month he's used 6GB of data so far and has not been cut off or warned about extreme data usage. Is this unusual? Anyone with insight?

I might have an AT&T LTE device soon (summer time), so I might test out LTE on Jolt and RedPocket (both CSR of each told me that it was possible, but I am very skeptical). Will definitely report back with results.

Thanks again for the information. If anyone has any more, please do share. Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    The 40.00 Simple plan is throttled @ 119 Kbps it seems.

Although the 60 a month plan is non throttled 4G I'd be leary using that much data a month. They could decide tomorrow to shut him off.

Sent from my Infuse 4G

Feedback Score
    Hey y'all,

Just to clarify quickly. Does ST (with T-Mobile SIM) get HSPA+. I confirmed the AT&T one does, but seem to get lots of mixed answers about the T-Mobile one.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Think so I'm getting 7 down and 2 up consistently around town. Phone says 4g on the top as well.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Changes often
    Feedback Score
    Hey y'all,

Just to clarify quickly. Does ST (with T-Mobile SIM) get HSPA+. I confirmed the AT&T one does, but seem to get lots of mixed answers about the T-Mobile one.

Thanks!
    If you plan to consume heavy data be suspect of unlimited. Especially on an MVNO.

T-Mobile has two 5GB data plans, Boost Mobile and Verizon Impulse offer unlimited. At least for now.

Sent from my Infuse 4G

Device(s)
    LG H631
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    At one point Red Pocket listed LTE on its site. For some reason, its no longer there. Until we get an actual Red Pocket user with an LTE device in an LTE coverage area, its anyone's guess.

I'm getting anywhere from 3-5Mbps down with Red Pocket which is plenty fast for me.

I'm not so sure I care about blazing fast LTE with a 2GB cap.

If the OP is in a T-Mobile coverage area, there are two 5GB plans available on prepaid.

Sent from my Infuse 4G
    Today I "befriended" an Att employee at a corporate Att store and I tried to get him to let me pop in my RP Sim into one of the 4g LTE device as I live in an area with that coverage.

He hesitated but made a reference to me leaving pre paid for post paid to get a discounted LTE phone since I was interested in one. ( not for the reasons he thinks, I just want to try my Sim in that phone)

He told me to return Sunday when the store wasn't as busy just before 6 pm, closing time, and he would swap the Sims.

I will go and check it out and report if it worked, provided he lets me!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p, Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Loansharkie View Post
    Think so I'm getting 7 down and 2 up consistently around town. Phone says 4g on the top as well. Think u need a radio w at least 14.4 to get faux G..

Feedback Score
    Hello all,

Great posts! Thank you all! I'm definitely going to look into some of those options.

Danny: my brother uses Simple Mobile on 4G and claims his speeds are not throttled. He gets around 5-8 mbps down and about 1-3 down. The graph on a speed test seems to indicate no throttling as it has varied charting, whereas their 3G speed test was a straight line indicating throttling. I'm curious if he was grand-fathered into a non-throttled plan or if their 4G is actually unthrottled. He also has reported unlimited usage. This month he's used 6GB of data so far and has not been cut off or warned about extreme data usage. Is this unusual? Anyone with insight?

I might have an AT&T LTE device soon (summer time), so I might test out LTE on Jolt and RedPocket (both CSR of each told me that it was possible, but I am very skeptical). Will definitely report back with results.

Thanks again for the information. If anyone has any more, please do share. Thanks!
    You will definitely get HSPA+ on Straight Talk with a T-Mobile sim based on people posting the speeds they have been getting.

I passed the 2GB mark with Simple Mobile this morning and was immediately throttled to 119 Kbps!
    I have run speedtests in all the same areas and I'm getting the same throttled speed everywhere.
    So I can confirm 100% that after 2GB's are used up they throttle you.

I'm not sure how your brother is using 6GB without a warning or being cut off as there are people reporting being suspended at the 3GB mark. I will confirm exactly what happens as I intend to use up that one gig in the next 5 days.

Also, will have T-Mobile in 6 days from now and will be able to comment if the Simple Mobile "4G" plan is throttled or not. Based on the speeds you reported though it does seem that it might not be throttled...time will tell.

Feedback Score
    Hey y'all,

An awesome wealth of information. I am always skeptical of "unlimited" plans, but will try out ST next month and see what kind of a difference I experience. I read a lot of reports that 2GB is not a hard cap for ST, but again, we'll see what happens as I experiment with their service next month.

gate: Can't wait to see what you find out because that will 100% influence my decision of carrier. Hopefully the employee lets you try it out. Don't forget to change your APN to get the proper data connection.

Anyone else with any insights or information regarding 4G is always welcome to add. Thanks again all!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast