Thread: Straight Talk networks - PLEASE HELP

Feedback Score

Unhappy Straight Talk networks - PLEASE HELP

Please help me understand the difference between CDMA, CDMA-S, GSM etc... I was told that CDMA uses Verizon networks, CDMA-S uses Sprint and GSM uses AT&T. Is this correct? I bought a Samsung Android Smartphone "CDMA-S" and have NO service. I need to return it and get a Verizon network phone but no one seems to be sure in the store which is which. I need to be 100% sure I am getting a Verizon phone.

Thank you for your help
    Katie

Feedback Score
    on the top of the phone

Phone
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only phones that use Sprint are the Androids, to the best of my knowledge. Any other "C" phone would be using Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klmaitland View Post
    Please help me understand the difference between CDMA, CDMA-S, GSM etc... I was told that CDMA uses Verizon networks, CDMA-S uses Sprint and GSM uses AT&T. Is this correct? I bought a Samsung Android Smartphone "CDMA-S" and have NO service. I need to return it and get a Verizon network phone but no one seems to be sure in the store which is which. I need to be 100% sure I am getting a Verizon phone

Thank you for your help
    Katie

the androids run off of sprint preapid which has no roaming, there are no androids that use the verizon network. GSM will either use AT&T/ T-mobile, if you want verizon phone you would need to look for one that says CDMA on front of the box.

Feedback Score
    When you buy your Straight Talk phone, the red map indicates it will run on Verizon, Blue runs on Sprint or AT&T. Another clue is if the name of the phone ends with 'C', then Verizon, if 'G', then AT&T and android phones are on Sprint.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMOOCHIE View Post
    When you buy your Straight Talk phone, the red map indicates it will run on Verizon, Blue runs on Sprint or AT&T. Another clue is if the name of the phone ends with 'C', then Verizon, if 'G', then AT&T and android phones are on Sprint.
    All of this, only caveat is the G phones can be either ATT ot Tmo, except for the nokias which are always GSM.
    For further FAQ's look at the thread below.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Read the Prepaid FAQ page linked on my signature. It has detailed instructions on how to select a phone on the network you want.

Quote Originally Posted by klmaitland View Post
    Please help me understand the difference between CDMA, CDMA-S, GSM etc... I was told that CDMA uses Verizon networks, CDMA-S uses Sprint and GSM uses AT&T. Is this correct? I bought a Samsung Android Smartphone "CDMA-S" and have NO service. I need to return it and get a Verizon network phone but no one seems to be sure in the store which is which. I need to be 100% sure I am getting a Verizon phone.

Thank you for your help
    Katie
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.