Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Q] How do you setup voicemail with Straight Talk? I can't even set it up!

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score

[Q] How do you setup voicemail with Straight Talk? I can't even set it up!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note (International version) Android phone. I got my ST SIM card about 2 days ago and voice, SMS, MMS and data all works just fine.

Problem is, I can't access or even setup my normal voicemail. According to ST, I need to dial * 8 6 to access my voice mail and set it up. When I did, I got a message:

Your call cannot be completed. Please check the number and dial again

What number exactly do I need to call to access my VM from my Note?

When I called my cell from a landline and attempt to leave a VM, the message is that "The subscriber has not setup the mailbox."

Please advise.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    AT&T uses voice mail access numbers that vary depending on your location. The access number is tied to the VM speed dial in the phone's menu. Try holding down 1 on the dial pad screen. If you still get the error message, you will need to contact ST.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Try calling your own number, that is how I access my ST voicemail.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The instructions given to the Original Poster are for Verizon-based voicemail. AT&T-based voicemail is accessed by holding down the "1" dial pad key. When you access for the first time you will be given instructions for setting a passcode.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score
    I forgot to mention that I HAVE tried calling my cell number (from the Note itself) and pressing "1" on the keypad. The call connected and the only thing I hear is "Goodbye" and the call hang up.

So it seems it connects to the VM, but then hung up. Any other ideas before I call ST?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Some non-AT&T branded phones require you to enter the call forwarding instructions into the phone for voicemail deposit to work. You forward calls to the Voicemail Deposit Number and retrieve messages by dialing the Voicemail Retrieval Number. The numbers are localized depending upon your telephone number. Calling your own number will not work if the forwarding instructions are not included in the phone's settings. It is impossible to actually call your own wireless number from the phone itself. You will either get a busy signal, an error or it will be forwarded to whatever number is programmed into the forwarding instructions.

Usually these instructions are programmed into the phone over the air when you insert the SIM card.

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score
    efparri,

Thanks for the information. I have also thought the VM number will be programmed into the phone automatically when a SIM card inserted, as this was my experience when using SIM card even in another country (when traveling).

It seems that with ST on my Galaxy Note, it does not do that. I don't have another SIM-based phone to test ST SIM card, so I can't test it out. I did check the settings in my phone (Settings --> Call --> Voicemail) and noted that the voicemail number is +16192040806. Is this the same number you have in your phone?

You mentioned that I need to follow the "...call forwarding instructions.." and that the "...numbers are localized...", but there was no such instructions in my ST SIM Card Welcome/Activation Kit. I searched ST website and no information on that either. Could you provide me with a link of this instructions?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I do not have Straight talk. I use AT&T. The voice mail number you use depends upon your locality and wireless number. What happens when you call that number directly?. You have to interrupt whatever it is saying and enter "*" to get into the voicemail system for your phone number. It might ask for a passcode. The temporary passcode is usually "1111" followed by "#" key. You should be prompted to change your passcode.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post

You mentioned that I need to follow the "...call forwarding instructions.." and that the "...numbers are localized...", but there was no such instructions in my ST SIM Card Welcome/Activation Kit. I searched ST website and no information on that either. Could you provide me with a link of this instructions?
    They don't give instructions because it's something that's already set up by the carrier, and it's not a setting the user should change on their own anyway. Carriers do not publish their access numbers as a security measure against people hacking into their VM system. It is possible the number may be incorrect, but the carrier would have to change it in their system, which will push the setting out to the SIM. You will need to call ST or contact support through their Facebook page.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    if ST uses ATT voicemail....does that mean in theory that Visual VoiceMail works on ST?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There have to be a special servers for Visual Voicemail. Only certain phones operating with AT&T directly have access to those servers.

Sent from my GtabComb using HowardForums

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    even if we wanted to help you the OP solve this problem we wouldn't
    be able to without your area code and hopefully someone else in this forum also has the same area code if not you would have to check with someone locally.

For other posters we could get ready by checking our access/forwarding number by dialing *#61*.

Feedback Score
    This worked for me with my Samsung Galaxy Note (International Version) on ST:
    1. go into Settings-Call-Voicemail Service: select "My carrier"
    2. go into Settings-Call-Voicemail: enter your cell phone number in "Voicemail number"

Dial your cell phone number. Nice female voice should answer to step you through setting up voicemail on ST.

Best Wishes....
    Sam

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Your suggestion works only if the voicemail settings are already in the phone. You will get a busy signal if they are not there. You can hold down "1" for the same results.

Phones
    N90
    P900
    Feedback Score
    Hi all,

Thank you for all your suggestions and inputs. I think I may have find a solution ot my problem.

So just to recap the original issue:
    - I got my ST SIM card just 2 days ago
    - Voicemail testing was done in my office
    - With the ST SIM card in my Galaxy Note, keypad "1" is pre-programmed to dial +16192040806
    - Whether I call the number directly OR press and hold keypad "1", the only message I got is "Goodbye" and the call ended

Just today I drove for lunch, which is about 1 mile away from my office and I try to call the VM again and this time it works. I can setup my VM, enter my password, etc. Tried to call again and I got into my VM successfully.

Back to my office, I press and hold "1" again, but this time, instead of connecting directly to my VM, I got a message "Please enter your mailbox".

So it looks like, in my office, I am connecting to a cell tower that, SOMEHOW, screw up my VM. But if I am connecting to another tower, it works just fine.

I will test this theory by downloading an app called Open Signal, which show which tower I am connecting to at a certain location.

But for now, I got my VM working! YAY!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast