Thread: Straighttalk at&t SIM on Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket experience

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Straighttalk at&t SIM on Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket experience

Hello

I have a question please :

I am about to buy a Samsung galaxy S2 i777 or skyrocket i727 :
    1.Does it have to be unlocked or locked to at&t to work with ST SIM ?
    2.Will these 2 devices work the same with ST SIM ? same data speeds ? I am in good AT&T 4G coverage in my city in Lexington,KY
    3.Will either of these 2 phones show "4G" symble like my wife iPhone 4S on ST SIM show ?
    4.The LTE in the skyrocket will or will not cause problems with ST SIM ?
    5.Is changing APN for data and MMS easy on these 2 phones and work flowlessly ? are these settings easily changable and not like in iPhone4S ?

Thanks

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post
    Hello

I have a question please :

I am about to buy a Samsung galaxy S2 i777 or skyrocket i727 :
    1.Does it have to be unlocked or locked to at&t to work with ST SIM ?
    2.Will these 2 devices work the same with ST SIM ? same data speeds ? I am in good AT&T 4G coverage in my city in Lexington,KY
    3.Will either of these 2 phones show "4G" symble like my wife iPhone 4S on ST SIM show ?
    4.The LTE in the skyrocket will or will not cause problems with ST SIM ?
    5.Is changing APN for data and MMS easy on these 2 phones and work flowlessly ? are these settings easily changable and not like in iPhone4S ?
    Thanks
    First, let me encourage you to read. Practically all these questions have been asked and answered numerous times over the last month. People here on HOFO are VERY helpful, but those of us who have been on the forum for a while do get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Most of these questions I have personally answered at least three times in the last week. But I'll be nice.
    1. If you want to be on AT&T network, order the AT&T sim. It doesn't matter if you buy unlocked or locked to AT&T. The only time you need unlocked is if you want to take a tmobile phone and use if on AT&T or vice versa. There is no need for unlocked if you are using the phone on the same carrier it is designed for.
    2. If it weeks on AT&T, then it will work on ST. They use the same towers, network, etc.
    3. Can't speak to this one, but may show H+ instead, indicating the HSPA+ network, which is what the iPhone is no calling 4G. Regardless of what it says, i believe both of those are capable of using that HSPA+ network.
    4. LTE is not available on the straighttalk plan. There has to be special provisioning on the cell number account for LTE to work, and that won't happen on ST. but I wouldn't think that would cause you any problems either, it just won't work.
    5. While I would argue the the 4S process isn't all that hard if you jailbreak and use tetherme (that's what I did, and it was a breeze), it is my understanding that it is easier with android phones. I believe there is an app you download to change the APN settings, and some phones have that feature built in. You might try the thread that tells how to get android phones on ST. I believe it's stickies at the top of the forum.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thanks for being nice...

But you did not answer , device specific ...

I need a word from those in this exact situation :

New skyrocket , Locked to att , no root , no nothing , bone stock , changed apn like a breeze and sticks (not always changing to something else) and have a good data speeds on HSDPA or HSPA+

Thanks

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Maestroteagues answer covers all of the questions that you have asked. They will apply to your device?
    R u worried about att throttling android speeds?

Feedback Score
    Just ordered St sim, and have a skyrocket, it will work does not need to be unlocked, but you will have to edit your apn settings to that of St for it to work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using HowardForums

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    The Skyrocket works fine on Straight Talk. Needs a new APN created, as previously stated (and the settings are posted in the sticky'd thread). The battery life kinda sucks, but that's the phone's fault, lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    The Skyrocket works fine on Straight Talk. Needs a new APN created, as previously stated (and the settings are posted in the sticky'd thread). The battery life kinda sucks, but that's the phone's fault, lol.
    Yea I flashed to ics and have since see improved battery life. But it depends on what you want!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have a Skyrocket and have been using it for about 3 months on straight talk. I am getting 4g speeds of up to 7mb download , it was very easy to setup with the apn settings provided with the sim card from straight talk. It also shows 4g on the top where my Infuse didnt but they get the same download speeds.