Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mobilicity in Calgary ... TERRIBLE Reception

Feedback Score

Mobilicity in Calgary ... TERRIBLE Reception

Hey guys,

I have been with Mobi for about 3 months now and where I live and work are on the edge of the network. I get 0-1 band of service at home and work if anything at all. In fact, I move to Canadian roaming a LOT.

I have gone so far as to flash the radio on my Galaxy Nexus to the UGLC1 radio baseband with a bit better of a result 0-2 bands of service.

On my way home from work the other day (on Glenmore Trail), I had a call drop THREE times. It is unbelievably frustrating and I am wondering if it is me or are other people in Calgary having these issues.

I noticed that we have 50 towers in Calgary and they haven't increased in the last few months ... does Mobi have any plans on increasing coverage? I find it crazy that I have to have funds in MyWallet in order to make sure my phone calls are longer than 30 seconds in length.

Thoughts?

Phone
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by llcooljayce View Post
    Hey guys,

I have been with Mobi for about 3 months now and where I live and work are on the edge of the network. I get 0-1 band of service at home and work if anything at all. In fact, I move to Canadian roaming a LOT.

I have gone so far as to flash the radio on my Galaxy Nexus to the UGLC1 radio baseband with a bit better of a result 0-2 bands of service.

On my way home from work the other day (on Glenmore Trail), I had a call drop THREE times. It is unbelievably frustrating and I am wondering if it is me or are other people in Calgary having these issues.

I noticed that we have 50 towers in Calgary and they haven't increased in the last few months ... does Mobi have any plans on increasing coverage? I find it crazy that I have to have funds in MyWallet in order to make sure my phone calls are longer than 30 seconds in length.

Thoughts?
    Ya switch to WIND. They have double the amount of sites in Calgary & vastly superior coverage overall.

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    On my way home from work the other day (on Glenmore Trail), I had a call drop THREE times.
    Hope you were using hands free or a headset since there is a distracted driving law in Calgary (/sarcasm)

Anyhow, I find the reception not too bad in Calgary myself. If I'm in the industrial area I find it isn't so hot but otherwise in my travels I find it pretty good. It even works at the top of the Calgary Tower I found out last month. Since you mention were on Glenmore Trail I think it's plausible you were referring to this area? Correct?

Anyhow, even if not, looking on Loxcel (http://www.loxcel.com/celltower) and then switching the dropdown to Mobilicity Carrier you can get an idea of where the Mobi towers are - there are only 50 of them in Calgary apparently. Almost 20 more than Edmonton or Ottawa for example. Then you can see for yourself if you're area is covered. Also, the particular phone you own can definitely play a factor in your reception. Some phones have better reception than others due to multiple antennas in them. Blackberries tend to do better on Mobi than others I hear.

They can definitely improve the network (and I hope they do over time) but all in all it's not bad. It's not perfect, but it's definitely usable and reflective of their cheap bill rates. You could always put money into your bank account on Mobi for roaming situations and it may still be cheaper for you than going to a contract on ROBELUS (especially now that Mobi includes roaming in the upper end plans). Just remember that one point though - you don't have a contract and can cancel at anytime or try out Wind too for it may be more suitable for your needs.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 04-13-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added roaming bit

Feedback Score
    Hey guys,

Thoughts?
    From my personal experience, it could be a long wait. I am also at the edge of the coverage zone. Unfortunately, there isn't really a tower near by and so I roam quite often as well. Sadly, they expanded the coverage map without adding any towers. I supposedly deeper in the home zone now. This is my experience based on being a customer for almost 1 year.

Feedback Score
    My girlfriend uses wind in Calgary and compared to my mobi line it has more dropped calls and garbled speech. I was hoping that problem would resolve but it's still an issue months after I switched to mobi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by muc1 View Post
    My girlfriend uses wind in Calgary and compared to my mobi line it has more dropped calls and garbled speech. I was hoping that problem would resolve but it's still an issue months after I switched to mobi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums
    I don't know where your girlfriend is making her phone calls, but the dropped calls and garbled speech stopped for me over a year ago.

For the OP though, if Mobi isn't working for you, then give Wind a shot. Easiest switch as the phone is compatible.
    If Wind doesn't work out, well.. then it sucks, but that leaves the big 3...

Unfortunately, the truth is that both Wind and Mobi have areas in Calgary that just aren't well covered. My wife works in Britannia, and can't get a Wind signal inside work. I checked Mobilicity's coverage in the area, but their coverage sucks there too.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HowardForums
    Rome wasn't built in a day, but if Wind was the builder, it would still be under construction.

Feedback Score
    I think nuclearbroccoli makes a valid point here, maybe something that is being overlooked and not addressed. If service for Wind Mobile in a certain area is bad I can't see Mobilicity's service being any better in a majority of cases, I was told by many not to try Wind Mobile in Toronto because I would experience dropped calls/garbled voice quality/poor coverage including a lot more and so far absolutely nothing in the whole city. I tried Wind briefly a year ago and yes there were problems at that time and overall 90% have been fixed. The same thing does not apply to Mobilicity and quite honestly service has worsened considerably in numerous locations. I also think there's a huge difference between Wind users and some Mobilicity supporters, Wind users in general seem to give you an honest opinion of their service and a certain group of Mobilicity supporters basically will lie in hopes you'll join.

Phones
    HTC Sensation
    HTC Sensation
    Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Yelling
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotch-guy View Post
    Ya switch to WIND. They have double the amount of sites in Calgary & vastly superior coverage overall.
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAH HA!

vastly superior eh.....drive an H2 for compensation too? Wind does NOT, repeat DOES NOT have anything "vastly superior" in Canada except their lines to get you to buy a handset and go post paid.......

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0defaced View Post
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAH HA!

vastly superior eh.....drive an H2 for compensation too? Wind does NOT, repeat DOES NOT have anything "vastly superior" in Canada except their lines to get you to buy a handset and go post paid.......
    Vastly superior might be overstating it, but overall I think Wind has better coverage in Calgary. Other cities I'm sure differ.
    You go with what works for your particular situation I guess.

Phone
    Nexus S
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    mobilicity has been pretty good so far for me in Calgary...i can stream google music everywhere

i live/work in beltline/bankview areas...also i use data/texts more than voice...

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markj View Post
    mobilicity has been pretty good so far for me in Calgary...i can stream google music everywhere

i live/work in beltline/bankview areas...also i use data/texts more than voice...
    Glad it works for you. Try the edges of the city though and see how it works out...

See, that's why I say go with what works for you. I spend the majority of my time on the northern edge of Calgary, and Wind just has better coverage there.
    Now if only they would get Elbow Drive and the other half of Chinook mall covered....

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclearbroccoli View Post
    Glad it works for you. Try the edges of the city though and see how it works out...

See, that's why I say go with what works for you. I spend the majority of my time on the northern edge of Calgary, and Wind just has better coverage there.
    Now if only they would get Elbow Drive and the other half of Chinook mall covered....

Wind has better coverage in northern edge and mobi has better coverage in south-east.

Somehow these 2 bozos cant get the coverage right for the whole city, anywhere!! Hopefully that will be fixed sooner than later!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Wind has better coverage in northern edge and mobi has better coverage in south-east.

Somehow these 2 bozos cant get the coverage right for the whole city, anywhere!! Hopefully that will be fixed sooner than later!
    This is the most disparaging remark I have ever seen from you! To be honest, they would be better off using a reverse strategy to understate the coverage area. Probably less churn that way.

Phone
    Samsung Exhibit II 4G
    Carriers
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    I find Mobi coverage quite useable in Calgary. That is, outdoors mostly. Indoors it is not the best. But when I'm in my car I can stream on-line radio pretty much anywhere in the city, even in the deep South-West. The signal also reaches almost all the way to Okotoks...

Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goldhead View Post
    The signal also reaches almost all the way to Okotoks...
    That is new.. i didnt expect it to go THAT far! The last time I went to okotoks, it cut off right after we left calgary!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast