Thread: Sprint Planning to Add 75 Cell Sites in Los Angeles as Part of Network Vision

Phones
    HTC Evo/Apple iPhone
    HTC Evo
    Apple iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Sprint Planning to Add 75 Cell Sites in Los Angeles as Part of Network Vision

It's an older article, December 22, 2011.

Sprint Nextel Corp. is working to get 75 additional cell sites approved in the Los Angeles area as part of a campaign to replace its entire network by the end of 2013, spokeswoman Kelly Schlageter said. Sprint's strategy calls for a large network of small sites. It has about 500,000 nationwide and will add more.

http://phys.org/news/2011-12-cellpho...landscape.html

Phone
    LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Not saying I don't believe that but I haven't seen any evidence that Sprint wants or is seeking approval for 75 additional, entirely new cell sites here in the LA market. The only new sites they are/were working to get are on I-5 just north of Pyramid Lake between Santa Clarita and Gorman to fill in the grapevine gap (coming soon), and the one on the Pepperdine campus in Malibu (now active).
    Sprint user since 1997

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I didn't know Sprint had 500,000 cell sites.

Interesting quote from that article:

Sprint Nextel Corp. is working to get 75 additional cell sites approved in the Los Angeles area as part of a campaign to replace its entire network by the end of 2013, spokeswoman Kelly Schlageter said. Sprint's strategy calls for a large network of small sites. It has about 500,000 nationwide and will add more.
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

Bend, Oregon

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Are there even 500,000 cell sites in North America? That seems way over the top. Am I wrong?

Small cell sites is DAS or those Lucent rubik cube antennas for micro sites.

Phone
    EVO 4G LTE
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Are there even 500,000 cell sites in North America? That seems way over the top. Am I wrong?

Small cell sites is DAS or those Lucent rubik cube antennas for micro sites.
    I think they must have meant 50,000?

Phone
    LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure they meant 50,000

Phones
    HTC Evo/Apple iPhone
    HTC Evo
    Apple iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Larry -- I'm sure you know more than the people in the article. Somewhat disappointing but understandable.

I'll add one more new site based on the Sprint network site.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 7.49.12 PM.png
Views: 335
Size:  487.7 KB

Phone
    LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Actually that new site pictured there is not a NEW site at all. All they did was decommission a site and add the equipment on the iden site right next door instead. Money saver.

Phones
    HTC Evo/Apple iPhone
    HTC Evo
    Apple iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    Actually that new site pictured there is not a NEW site at all. All they did was decommission a site and add the equipment on the iden site right next door instead. Money saver.
    Well, that's unfortunate. Hopefully, the hoped for increase in coverage with the NV upgrade will help with some coverage issues in Los Angeles.

Phone
    LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yep It's all about the higher gain antennas now. Radios mounted right behind the antennas to reduce the signal loss caused by long cable runs along with 1x advanced. Once those are all complete it will probably be equivalent to adding 75 new cell sites in LA. lol I doubt we will see that many entirely new sites built now as there isn't as much need anymore.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510 View Post
    Yep It's all about the higher gain antennas now. Radios mounted right behind the antennas to reduce the signal loss caused by long cable runs along with 1x advanced. Once those are all complete it will probably be equivalent to adding 75 new cell sites in LA. lol I doubt we will see that many entirely new sites built now as there isn't as much need anymore.
    While the particular area I am referring to doesn't have the remote radio's or NV just yet, I used to get 0 bars of signal inside my home and stayed roaming in the 1 mile radius around my home and back and forth.

After they did the *network upgrades* listed on the site, and according to the Ericsson tech they replaced the antenna's with newer 1X/EV antenna's and now I get 3 usable bars of signal everywhere running on PCS and they haven't added any new cell sites.

The older antenna's were supposedly from the early 2000's and were in bad shape, but they have been doing this all over my area and the signal has increased dramatically everywhere and I never drop calls anymore and data rates increased.

So I am guessing these new antenna's are optimized for better range, were not in a NV announced area but perhaps this is the initial phase as they eliminate iDEN?