Thread: Has anyone tried to use StraightTalk in Canada?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Has anyone tried to use StraightTalk in Canada?

I have been wondering if anyone has used ST in Canada. I'm sure it doesn't work but just curious to see if anyone has tried.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    It probably says no service if you do get service I would turn your phone off fast seems like a good way to get kicked off their network.

Feedback Score
    I live 3.5 hours drive to Toronto, Canada and went up there in 2010 and 2011 for my cousins' wedding. 20 minutes after crossing the boarder, I got no service. My uncle's phone with Verizon (not ST) still got service but now he would be paying $1/min (or something like that) if he were to make calls.

Someone told me that was the main difference in service between contract and prepaid service and the reason monthly contracts are so expensive! When you "roam" outside the designated zone, you'll be covered. Not with prepaid service. When you travel outside the designated zone, you won't be covered because you didn't pay for that! LoL.

Since I have my iPhone on ST I simply downloaded some VOIP apps to use over WiFi so that i could be contacted when i was in Canada. In fact, my uncle even made a few calls on my iPhone using the VOIP apps! LoL.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk will not work in Canada, it won't even register on a network. You are free to try

GoPhone works at 25 cents per minute IIRC, registered on Robber...er, Rogers, last I was there.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I figured it wouldn't register. That's why I keep my Verizon phones for situations like that.

Feedback Score

Roaming in Canada? You're better off grabbing a Fido SIM.

Ahead of my family and I vacationing in Quebec last year, I first purchased 2 SIM cards from a Fido retailer on eBay.

Once we were there, I visited a Fido kiosk at the local mall and asked to have one of the prepaid options activated on my SIMs.

http://goo.gl/zov5Y

My spouse and I had affordable phone then for the duration of the trip. We even had data and SMS on my Nexus One and her unlocked iPhone.

I called my homeland voice mail number and changed the outgoing message to announce the new (temporary) Fido number.

For less than the cost of a single International Roaming call, we had easy peasy service for the whole trip.

Fast forward to last month, and an afternoon trip to Ontario. I turned my Nexus One off. My spouse left her iPhone on. Neither of us actually used our devices. My spouse just got a $8.00 surcharge on her AT&T bill for a couple kilobytes of data transfer from that trip. We're guessing that her email client performed an hourly refresh while we were there.

So, yeah, if you can plan ahead, and your phone is unlocked, go with a Fido prepaid SIM. Getting the SIM on eBay is the only harrowing part. I don't know if you can pick up a Fido SIM on the spot at a Fido kiosk. But this did work well for us.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cshifflett105 View Post
    I have been wondering if anyone has used ST in Canada. I'm sure it doesn't work but just curious to see if anyone has tried.
    I didnt realize my ST wouldnt work in Canada. My first stop, The Falls, it worked. But then after about 20 min drive north I came to the sad realization that it had no service. Sadly, it was a bad drive in a snow storm and we went off the road... could have really used my phone right then but well, now I know for next time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Manzoni View Post
    I didnt realize my ST wouldnt work in Canada. My first stop, The Falls, it worked. But then after about 20 min drive north I came to the sad realization that it had no service. Sadly, it was a bad drive in a snow storm and we went off the road... could have really used my phone right then but well, now I know for next time.

me and my girlfriend just got enhanced licenses and plan to take several trips to canada.... anyone have a suggestion for a solution for traveling to canada? I don't want to have a contract phone to go there... but is there a prepaid deal that I could buy service on when I go to canada for emergency situatons?

Will Nokia Maps GPS work in Canada? I know it has offline maps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Manzoni View Post
    Shouldn't 911 still have worked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by timmytucker View Post
    me and my girlfriend just got enhanced licenses and plan to take several trips to canada.... anyone have a suggestion for a solution for traveling to canada? I don't want to have a contract phone to go there... but is there a prepaid deal that I could buy service on when I go to canada for emergency situatons?

Will Nokia Maps GPS work in Canada? I know it has offline maps.
    Just read above. Post #7. Can't speak to the maps, tho. But if you have a prepaid data plan on a smartphone, Google Maps will work.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I second the suggestion to use Fido's prepaid service. It worked great for me back in 2004, and the prices were much higher then they are now....

You might also consider visiting Hofo's Canadian provider forums and asking our neighbors to the north for their suggestions.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

Feedback Score
    On my E71, I don't see why nokia maps gps wouldnt work.... I know that you can search offline....and download the maps to your phone with ovi suite. Isn't the GPS an internal device unrelated to mobile data?

Also, nobody replied....if I dialed 911, my e71 would connect, wouldnt it? I know theres a US law that says all mobile phones must connect to 911 if possible..... It is a quad band phone. Does this apply in canada?

Feedback Score

Straight Talk

Quote Originally Posted by cshifflett105 View Post
    If you read the Straight Talk Terms and Conditions, item 9 (Roaming) it says:
    International Roaming is strictly prohibited.

I tried to post a link to the Terms and Conditions but this brilliant website says:
    You are not allowed to post any kinds of links, images or videos until you post a few times.

Sometimes they make it so difficult for someone to try to be helpful...

Feedback Score
    If you're using Straight Talk, there's a pretty good chance you have an unlocked device.

If you do, and you are headed to Canada, I recommend you hit up a Fido store or mall kiosk, purchase a SIM there, pop it in to your phone, and get service for only as long as you need.

I did this during a week-long trip to Quebec City in 2011 and it worked out GREAT. Naturally, you'll get a local number, and so you will have to check your native number voice mail. Perhaps you can leave an outgoing message that provides the temporary Fido number while you are away?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    To the poster above. United States law only applies in the United States. One has to rely on the laws of the country you are visiting when you are outside of the United States.
    Earl F. Parrish