Thread: Western/west Central IL gsm provider goes under, What will TMO do with roaming?

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score

Western/west Central IL gsm provider goes under, What will TMO do with roaming?

Simmetry wireless is going out of business. I got a letter telling me they are selling some assets to u.s. cellular and the network will sease operation at at mid-night on June 30, 2012. I wonder if U.S. Cellular will keep the gsm active for roamers or if its going dark. U.s. cellular already has that same area completely covered. This would be a good time for t-mobile to grab some pcs there. (They don't have much, and are for the most part don't cover the same area except for the quincy market.
    http://www.simmetrywireless.com/

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them do what they always do: overlay. They've been overlaying a lot of their roaming providers, and usually build out in a case like this. I guess we'll see.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm sad to see another regional GSM provider riding into the sunset.

If only the national GSM carriers hadn't starved them of handsets and reasonable roaming rates.

Carrier
    Page Plus (Love it)
    Feedback Score
    Well since Simmetry died, there goes Monmouth/Abingdon/Macomb/Colchester roaming.

What did they end up doing, since it's now Sept? I'm originally from Galesburg and lived in the above listed towns before moving to Indianapolis. I'm thinking of going with T-Mo, and would like to know for when I go back to visit!

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc8svs View Post
    Well since Simmetry died, there goes Monmouth/Abingdon/Macomb/Colchester roaming.

What did they end up doing, since it's now Sept? I'm originally from Galesburg and lived in the above listed towns before moving to Indianapolis. I'm thinking of going with T-Mo, and would like to know for when I go back to visit!
    Monmouth was never Simmetry (they didn't have service there) It still has the original commnet/us 040 roaming in the area (which is now at&t but you ONLY get the old commnet towers around galesburg) No service from galesburg til just into Monmouth (No service at the cameron rd exit of route 34, regardless of the maps)

Abingdon is mostly dead. There is a faint, and i mean faint signal from the at&t tower from roseville (outside you can usually get one, maybe two bars max. But DON'T walk).
    NOTHING south of abingdon til who knows when.
    Macomb should be at&t.
    In Knox county, you pretty much have just galesburg. It's better than it has been. The city itself is fine. Weak in sandberg mall but nobody goes there anymore. lol. Knoxville sucks once you get downtown and you get zero coverage. (It was simmetry)

It's all edge. Abingdon has zero gsm providers now. In all honestly, only us cellular and verizon have good coverage. there is NO 3g anywhere near galesburg til inside peoria city limits. No at&t 3g either.

Cell-Forgotonia.

Carrier
    Page Plus (Love it)
    Feedback Score
    I got info earlier after I called a friend that he thought it was still GPRS in Galesburg. Maybe he's mistaken.

Those damn CDMA providers that cost too much money have a hold on W-IL! Does the burg even have VZW LTE yet? I see Monmouth/Macomb/Peoria/QC have it,. but no Burg? (Maybe Comcast has something to do with that).

Also, send me a PM. I am unable to send you one for some reason. I want to find out some other things.....

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Galesburg is edge. At&t roaming is edge throttled at 60kbps with the data roaming cap. I (yes, I even i wireless 4g is fully throttled)

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Galesburg went edge around the same time they lit up 3g in peoria.