Thread: Coverage Vs. Towers in SoCal

Phone
    HTC One S
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Coverage Vs. Towers in SoCal

So im researching the towers in the area because i was planning on switching when the One S came out. The coverage on the site for my locations (around the 92555 area code) where i work seems very good, for 4g coverage too. Then i check their tower locations and of the 4 locations where i spend my time at work (the phone will be used for work alot too) 3 of them have one MAYBE two towers nearby...well not really nearby they are kind of far. Doesnt seem like it would provide for strong 4g.

What kind of signal strength could i expect with that? It doesnt make me very confident.
    HTC One S. Yeah Buddy!

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    T-Mobile towers does not list all of the cell sites T-Mobile operates, just the ones they own.

/thread

Speaks for itself, Sprint. Try more actions and not lip service.
    Google+

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Kies is right. You can't go by that for coverage, at all. Where i live now, it only shows 3 towers, in the entire region. Not true at all. Best option is to use compass.t-mobile.com.
    You can usually figure out where the towers appx are based on the map.

Phone
    HTC One S
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danska View Post
    Kies is right. You can't go by that for coverage, at all. Where i live now, it only shows 3 towers, in the entire region. Not true at all. Best option is to use compass.t-mobile.com.
    You can usually figure out where the towers appx are based on the map.
    I was just looking for the most accurate way to tell how strong the signal was gonna be. Im on virgin mobile now and although i get signal everywhere i go, my 3g speeds are just not good at all. 250kbps to 700-800kbps and only 700-800 if im close to a tower and have full bars. Otherwise its relatively sub-par 3g and im growing tired of it (and the phone too). Ill check compass.tmobile.com

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgaiden View Post
    I was just looking for the most accurate way to tell how strong the signal was gonna be. Im on virgin mobile now and although i get signal everywhere i go, my 3g speeds are just not good at all. 250kbps to 700-800kbps and only 700-800 if im close to a tower and have full bars. Otherwise its relatively sub-par 3g and im growing tired of it (and the phone too). Ill check compass.tmobile.com
    You may be in luck, well partially anyway. There is an app called Sensorly, and what it does is map out cell phone coverage. So, what makes it better than a regular cellphone carrier map? The fact that it's a community based project where Android users use their phones to map out cellphone coverage. It seems that someone in your zipcode was kind enough to map out at least parts of the area. The other parts that haven't been colored mean that no users mapped them out yet, not that there is no coverage.

If everyone here contributed, then we would all have a very decent (and way more accurate) knowledge of cellphone coverage than we do now. I already contribute by mapping out parts of NYC, as others have done too.

Anyway, here is a map of your area. Note that the areas that are not covered still may have decent coverage, they just haven't been mapped yet.
    Name:  92555 coverage map.PNG
Views: 162
Size:  434.8 KB

or http://www.howardforums.com/attachme...6&d=1334700928 for better quality

Edit: After zooming in more, it looks like the red area (on your map) will very likely be 2G (EDGE) only, meaning way slower speeds than the 250kbps to 800kbps - that you're currently getting with VM.
    Last edited by TheCellphoneGuy; 04-17-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    Signal and speeds are not always related. I can easily download at 7Mb/s with zero bars yet with full signal outside town in 3g get 1Mb/s. HSPA+ doesn't have much speed drop off vs. distance.

Phones
    iPhone 5 White, Galaxy S4 White
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only problem with sensorly is that it's not updated regularly at all, which is not their fault but nature of the beast.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kies View Post
    The only problem with sensorly is that it's not updated regularly at all, which is not their fault but nature of the beast.
    I agree, though I would still trust them (Sensorly) more than I would any cellphone provider with "their" coverage maps. My guess would be that coverage data in the big cities might be more accurate on Sensorly than it would be in small towns - where the tester maybe had been to once.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCellphoneGuy View Post
    I agree, though I would still trust them (Sensorly) more than I would any cellphone provider with "their" coverage maps. My guess would be that coverage data in the big cities might be more accurate on Sensorly than it would be in small towns - where the tester maybe had been to once.
    I have little faith in many of the community made maps. Many of them are full of errors (showing coverage gaps where there are none) and are incredibly slow to update the maps to reflect changes in coverage. The data measurements are bunk in some of these maps (i.e. some of the apps for these maps report data failures, when any other data service on my phone is working just fine in the same area).