Thread: Porting Verizon number to Tracfone

Feedback Score

Porting Verizon number to Tracfone

My mother-in-law currently has a Verizon contract phone. She is out of contract so she is thinking about switching to a Tracfone because she doesn't use very many minutes. She would like to keep her current cell phone number. Are there any problems with porting a Verizon phone number to a Tracfone? Can we do this on the web or do we have to call CS or is there a special SC number we should use?
    Thank you.

Mark

Feedback Score
    The best CS number is 305-715-6500. Porting is not a problem. However, I would avoid the website for this because it tends to be hopelessly glitchy. It is fine for ordering phones, however. So check out the phones and then come back for advice on models. That is the hardest part of the project.

You can use any old Tracfone you want, as long as it hasn't been declared obsolete. There is CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T and T-Mobile). They like to steer people to GSM because it's cheaper for the company, but you can use whichever floats your boat and will work in your neighborhood.

Feedback Score

Smile

As far as I know there should be no problem because Tracfone use Verizon towers. Smart choice in wanting to switch to Tracfone by the way, I've been with them for years and am one very satisfied customer

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Lisme about avoiding the website for porting. I just recently returned to Tracfone after a 3 year absence and ported in my AT&T number to a GSM phone.

My old phone was disconnected within 15 minutes or so, but the pending updates for my LG 800G failed after the 3rd code entry gave me an Invalid Code warning and told me to call CS. I called regular CS and was lucky to get a guy that spoke near perfect English and I was able to enter the remaining codes and my phone was up and running within 45 minutes of filling out the port-in form on the website.

Had I stayed up to date with all things Tracfone here on HoFo, I would have just called Miami or used Tracfone's Facebook page instead. All things considered though, even with the invalid code from the website, the port was complete in less than an hour and I wouldn't call the regular CS experience torturous by any means.

Next port-in though (Virgin Mobile to a yet unpurchased CDMA Tracfone) will be done through either Miami or Facebook.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfs54729 View Post
    My mother-in-law currently has a Verizon contract phone. She is out of contract so she is thinking about switching to a Tracfone because she doesn't use very many minutes. She would like to keep her current cell phone number. Are there any problems with porting a Verizon phone number to a Tracfone? Can we do this on the web or do we have to call CS or is there a special SC number we should use?
    Thank you.

Mark
    Hi Mark, you have two ways to port in a number. You can do it through our TracFone website, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or call our customer service number 1-800-867-7183 which is available from Monday through Sunday 8:00 am to 10:45 PM Eastern Standard Time.

Thank you.