Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Virgin Mobile versus Boost Mobile data speed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0

    Virgin Mobile versus Boost Mobile data speed

    After reading the Virgin Mobile forums, some people have mentioned Boost being faster than Virgin. Is there any truth to this? I thought they both ran under the same Sprint 3G data connection?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    489
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, they run on the same network towers, however Sprint slows down/throttles VM subscribers to prioritize Sprint and BM subscribers. This is done by rerouting VM's traffic through servers located all around the country.


    In other words, you get what you pay for. In exchange for lower prices, you get slower speeds and inferior devices. With BM, you get Sprint-level speeds but a cheaper phone lineup than Sprint's.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    357
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've heard but can't confirm that VM's data gets routed through one server while boost is like sprint where it directly accesses the internet locally. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm guessing they use the throttling system if VM users start affecting sprint users they are slowed down or even kicked off 3g to the slower network. Sprint users are worth at least 3 times more than VM users, I'm not upset about this as long as it keeps prices down.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Patriots Nation
    Posts
    7,585
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Data speeds are also affected by the sever routing or trace route as it is called.

    Most of VM data traffic is routed through Overland Park KS. Boost Mobile seems to mirror Sprint in that data is routed through different servers.

    Some have reported that VM has been using different servers as of late but the only way to verify it is by tethering and using speedtest and not an app to obtain the proper trace routing.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UNITED States
    Posts
    5,256
    Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Data speeds are also affected by the sever routing or trace route as it is called.

    Most of VM data traffic is routed through Overland Park KS. Boost Mobile seems to mirror Sprint in that data is routed through different servers.

    Some have reported that VM has been using different servers as of late but the only way to verify it is by tethering and using speedtest and not an app to obtain the proper trace routing.
    Actually they have been using different servers all along, it's just as you mention, most do not know how to verify.

    Sent from my HTC_A510c using HowardForums
    Last edited by vmobi; 04-18-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    412
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Data speeds are also affected by the sever routing or trace route as it is called.

    Most of VM data traffic is routed through Overland Park KS. Boost Mobile seems to mirror Sprint in that data is routed through different servers.

    Some have reported that VM has been using different servers as of late but the only way to verify it is by tethering and using speedtest and not an app to obtain the proper trace routing.
    One way to do it without tethering, is by turning off the GPS on a phone and then restarting the speed test app. Another is by going to google and typing in "what is my ip address", and it should give you the location of that address and where the server is (based on the IP.).

    I have never been connected to any other server than the Kansas one, though I heard reports of others stating that they have been.

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    688
    Phone
    lg optimus,motorola i425,samsung r211
    Carrier
    boost mobile,cricket paygo,virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (lg optimus v,huawei m835: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.29530/27.1486; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

    virgin mobile is faster at my house. i have done test for years.virgin mobile gets better signal here. numerous test and many many phones

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks to everyone for this info. I had thought Sprint treats all the pre-paid customers the same but I guess that's not the same. Has anyone had both Virgin and Boost? Is Virgin significantly slower?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    UNITED States
    Posts
    5,256
    Phone
    HTC_816_Phablet, Lumia_520
    Carrier
    Virgin_Mobile, Cricket, H2O
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bingboyz View Post
    Thanks to everyone for this info. I had thought Sprint treats all the pre-paid customers the same but I guess that's not the same. Has anyone had both Virgin and Boost? Is Virgin significantly slower?
    Depends on data traffic/usage in your specific locations (and other variables).

    Sent from my HTC_A510c using HowardForums

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,664
    Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You should be able to determine your external IP address by Googling "what is my ip" or "where is my ip located". I've never seen anywhere except Kansas.

    Sometimes internet speed tests say they're in your area, but that's often the fluke of them testing based on where your phone is, rather than where your data server originates.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    150
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    i have had both VM and boost and boost had better, faster data with less outages compared to virgin.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,664
    Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCellphoneGuy View Post
    One way to do it without tethering, is by turning off the GPS on a phone and then restarting the speed test app. Another is by going to google and typing in "what is my ip address", and it should give you the location of that address and where the server is (based on the IP.).

    I have never been connected to any other server than the Kansas one, though I heard reports of others stating that they have been.

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    You should be able to determine your external IP address by Googling "what is my ip" or "where is my ip located". I've never seen anywhere except Kansas.

    Sometimes internet speed tests say they're in your area, but that's often the fluke of them testing based on where your phone is, rather than where your data server originates.
    ... I can't believe I wrote that without noticing your post.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    412
    Carriers
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by primetechv2 View Post
    ... I can't believe I wrote that without noticing your post.
    LOL, no problem. I guess that great minds think alike

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    98
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have hit a new low today with virgin mobile. Couldn't even browse with opera mini. Checked the speed using speed test. 26kbps...
    yea... My friend with a iPhone 4s on
    Tmobile managed more than that on edge.
    If somebody can do a side by side comparison on virgin mobile and boost speeds, I would greatly appreciate it.

    Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    823
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (LG Fuel) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've read on the Boost forum that some folks are getting "Dial-Up Era" speeds on their devices as well. I don't think switching to Boost will guarantee you significantly faster speeds, but it may help to eliminate some of the obvious data bottlenecks VM subscribers have.

    Like somebody said earlier in this thread, it all depends on your particular location and whether there's a bunch of network congestion in that location. I have no problems getting fast speeds (adequate for streaming Pandora or XM) through VM when I'm out on rural interstates. However, if I attempt to browse the web in downtown Davenport or Rock Island, my browser just hangs forever...even using Opera Mini. I can't imagine what the bottlenecks are like in larger metropolitan areas.

    If I used a ton of voice minutes every month, I'd definitely switch to Boost. However, I'm not convinced Boost is going to offer me much faster data for $50/month considering how bogged down everything is where I live. Paying an extra $25/month for marginally faster data (and voice minutes I'll never use) just doesn't seem like a smart gamble.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Virgin/Sprint Mobile Data Speeds 3G/4G
    By pategan85 in forum LG
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
  2. Virgin Mobile Data Speed, restricted?
    By afuturestrader in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM
  4. t-mobile data speeds.....how fast
    By smokeyb111 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 03:05 PM
  5. T-Mobile Data Speeds?
    By scubasteve2255 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks