Thread: Why does it take so long transfering an old Tracfone number to new phone

Feedback Score

Why does it take so long transfering an old Tracfone number to new phone

I'm upgrading a relative's old free Tracphone cell to a better model. The old phone was a GSM and the new phone is a CDMA. Their CS informs me it will take anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days to transfer the old number because they have to switch to a new tower. However, they are very quick to push, well if you are unable to wait that long we can provided to a new number but you will loose the old number. Is this amount of time normal when switching from one type to another?

Thanks for time.

Feedback Score
    You are having a problem because the regular CS is terrible. Porting is not that complicated as far as I can tell. Call the best CS at 305-715-6500. If you need to avoid long-distance, call the next-best CS at 800-876-5753.

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda001 View Post
    I'm upgrading a relative's old free Tracphone cell to a better model. The old phone was a GSM and the new phone is a CDMA. Their CS informs me it will take anywhere from 3 hours to 3 days to transfer the old number because they have to switch to a new tower. However, they are very quick to push, well if you are unable to wait that long we can provided to a new number but you will loose the old number. Is this amount of time normal when switching from one type to another?

Thanks for time.
    I just did a switch from cdma to gsm last week. I called the Miami number, 800-876-5753. My # was ported within an hour but my minutes and days from the old phone never came through. I have done this process a couple, three times in the last year so knew something was up. The girl who waited on me struck me as either new or not trained. It was the first time Miami let me down. I waited until the next day and got on the Tracfone Facebook page. Within an hour of posting my displeasure George got my minutes transferred and all is good now.

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indyrunr89 View Post
    I just did a switch from cdma to gsm last week. I called the Miami number, 800-876-5753. My # was ported within an hour but my minutes and days from the old phone never came through. I have done this process a couple, three times in the last year so knew something was up. The girl who waited on me struck me as either new or not trained. It was the first time Miami let me down. I waited until the next day and got on the Tracfone Facebook page. Within an hour of posting my displeasure George got my minutes transferred and all is good now.
    Oh, I forgot to stress this: write down everything like the parameter 30 & 0 codes.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Switching between CDMA and GSM has always been troublesome for me. I'd call their US based customer care if I were you. The last time my gf tried to transfer from GSM to CDMA it was at least a week before she got it sorted out - though that was a couple years ago.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 635: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & LG Ultimate 2: TracFone (Verizon)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score
    Yeh, I have also switched and within a few hours (also from Miami) and within probably and hour and a half I was all jacked up again. What is great is that the service was so prompt when the old phones numbers didn't come up. I know that when I first started using Tracfone I was convinced that the service was going to be lacking because of it being so cheap. I never did find this to be and your experience has just enhanced my trust in using Tracfone. I don't use my phone a lote, but I do need reliablility