Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do I know if I'm running on tmo or at&t?

Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score

How do I know if I'm running on tmo or at&t?

I am thinking about switching to st and want to get the amaze 4G on the byod $45/month. I've heard that the band frequencies run on at&t and tmo. So which service will I be running on? The reason I ask is because where I live there is absolutely NO tmo coverage but there is excellent AT&T coverage. So is there a way to know which one I will be running on?

Feedback Score
    easy, just order the AT&T sim. although you may need to get the phone unlocked if it's locked to Tmobile

Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok. But I have heard that if you use the Amaze on att/ST then you only get 2G. Is that true? Thanks

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    No, the Amaze 4G has the bands for AT&T 3G/4G(FauxG). You do have to unlock the Amaze 4G. (Unlocking is not rooting)

Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    So will I get att 4G if I use the amaze through ST?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    The Amaze 4G is capable of receiving 3G or 4G HSPA+ on AT&T/ST. However whether or not you get 4G depends on if AT&T has 4G in your location.

Carrier
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Of course. My main question was wether or not ST supported 4G or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ndroidtech View Post
    Of course. My main question was wether or not ST supported 4G or not.
    I didn't think they did, but I found this post about it: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/04...r-smartphones/

Contrary to many online comments, Straight Talk Wireless does offer 3G and 4G service on AT&T’s network with the AT&T SIM card.

This means that users can expect to see download speeds of 4Mbps.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Hello,
    I'm interested in how to know if a phone from Straight Talk is on T-mobile or AT&T. The phone is the LG 900G. I have pulled up some zip codes and from the address bar got that this phone works in the following markets: GSM4 & GSM5CO. From what I have read, I thought GSM4 was only with AT&T, GSM5 was only with T-mobile and CO was only with Verizon. I know it is not a Verizon phone since they use CDMA but since AT&T and T-mobile both use GSM, I wasn't sure how to tell. This phone seems to contradict the GSM4 is only AT&T and GSM5 is only T-mobile theory. So, how do I know which carrier this phone is on? If needed, the zip codes I used for this was 24954 to get the GSM4 only market and 22901 to get the COGSM5 market.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
    Hello,
    I'm interested in how to know if a phone from Straight Talk is on T-mobile or AT&T. The phone is the LG 900G. I have pulled up some zip codes and from the address bar got that this phone works in the following markets: GSM4 & GSM5CO. From what I have read, I thought GSM4 was only with AT&T, GSM5 was only with T-mobile and CO was only with Verizon. I know it is not a Verizon phone since they use CDMA but since AT&T and T-mobile both use GSM, I wasn't sure how to tell. This phone seems to contradict the GSM4 is only AT&T and GSM5 is only T-mobile theory. So, how do I know which carrier this phone is on? If needed, the zip codes I used for this was 24954 to get the GSM4 only market and 22901 to get the COGSM5 market.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I think it's AT&T, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NytroGirl View Post
    I think it's AT&T, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think you are right, but I guess my question is how can I just go by GSM4 vs. GSM5 to determine this? It doesn't seem that straight forward with those two. For instance, for the 22901 zip code it has COGSM5 as the market, which by that it means T-mobile only. If you go to their website it does have coverage for that area, but so does AT&T. If you go to the 24954 zip code, which is only GSM4 and should just be AT&T, the coverage map for AT&T is the only one that shows up, however if you go to T-mobile, it does say partner for this zip code. So, from that, it appears that it would be an AT&T phone. However, the question remains why does it contradict what has been previously mentioned?
    I'm also considering another phone that is an android smart phone, ZTE Merit, and it has the same thing with it. However, it is also offered in some other markets like GSM5/SPR and GSM5/AT/SPR/CO, so I am not sure if it is on AT&T or T-mobile. It is just confusing to me.

Is it possible that any GSM5 phone will also work on GSM4 network, and the other way around?

Thanks,
    Chuck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
    I think you are right, but I guess my question is how can I just go by GSM4 vs. GSM5 to determine this? It doesn't seem that straight forward with those two. For instance, for the 22901 zip code it has COGSM5 as the market, which by that it means T-mobile only. If you go to their website it does have coverage for that area, but so does AT&T. If you go to the 24954 zip code, which is only GSM4 and should just be AT&T, the coverage map for AT&T is the only one that shows up, however if you go to T-mobile, it does say partner for this zip code. So, from that, it appears that it would be an AT&T phone. However, the question remains why does it contradict what has been previously mentioned?
    I'm also considering another phone that is an android smart phone, ZTE Merit, and it has the same thing with it. However, it is also offered in some other markets like GSM5/SPR and GSM5/AT/SPR/CO, so I am not sure if it is on AT&T or T-mobile. It is just confusing to me.

Is it possible that any GSM5 phone will also work on GSM4 network, and the other way around?

Thanks,
    Chuck
    I know for sure that the ZTE Merit runs off of AT&T. I looked into that phone myself recently.

From what I've read online, AT&T includes GSM4, GSM5AT, COGSM4 and T-Mobile codes include, GSM5, GSM5AT and COGSM5.

I'm not sure honestly about an GSM5 working on a GSM4 network. I do know that you can specifically request either an AT&T or a T-Mobile sim when you buy from ST.

Did you buy the LG 900g from Tracfone or somewhere else? It might be able to be unlocked so that it could run off either network you choose depending on the sim card.

Feedback Score
    Found this that might help you: http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011...-straight.html

Phones with model numbers ending in G are GSM phones that are homed on either AT&T or T-Mobile. The Motorola V176, V170 and C139 and LG225 are also GSM phones. To tell if a GSM phone is homed on T-Mobile or AT&T:

If you are buying the phone in a store look for the product number on the box under the barcode. If it ends in P4, R4 or P4P, like TFLG800GTMP4P it's AT&T. If it ends in P5, R5 or P5P like TFLG800GTMP5 it's T-Mobile.

If you already have the phone, find the SIM ID in the Prepaid menu. The first six numbers of the ID determine the carrier: 890126 = T-Mobile, 890141 = AT&T

Or look at the SIM itself. AT&T Tracfone SIMs have a code on them ending in C4, like TF64SIMC4. If the SIM has a code ending in T5, like TFSIMT5, it's for T-Mobile.

If you are ordering a phone online from one of the TracFone companies, after you enter you zip code look at the page URL for a string of characters beginning with &market=. The 4-6 characters after the "=" are the TracFone Market codes. Decode them as follows:
    GSM4 = AT&T
    GSM5 = T-Mobile
    GSM5AT = T-Mobile or AT&T
    CO = CDMA (Verizon)
    COGSM4 = CDMA and AT&T
    COGSM5 = CDMA or T-Mobile
    Hope this helps.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You can look at the SIM card. AT&T SIM cards will begin with "8901410" while T-Mobile SIM cards will begin with "8901260" in the SIM card serial number.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to those above for the posts. I do not have either phone, I was going by what was on the Straight Talk website. If I understand correctly, I do not have to buy a SIM card if I order those phones from them. Even with all the info that I had already seen, plus the info provided here, it still doesn't explain which network the LG 900G uses because I have found it in the following markets:
    GSM4 - 24954 zip
    COGSM4 - 24901 zip
    COGSM5 - 22901 zip
    GSM5ATSPRCO - 22801 zip
    I can rule out the CO and SPR markets but the GSM4, GSM5 & AT are the possible ones. Since there is no GSM4 with the GSM5 in those market zipcodes, how do I know which carrier it uses. I just can't figure out from the codes.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast