Thread: Beware of 723487686 penny charges

Phone
    VX6100
    Feedback Score

Beware of 723487686 penny charges

I recently started noticing calls to 723487686 every time my wife turns on her Motorola K1M and gets charged 1 penny. On my statement, it shows up as Data. This has apparently been going on for quite a few months now. I called CS and was told that this is when the phone tries to "ping" the servers which to me is BS since this is a normal non-smartphone and I dont even use WAP on the phone. Such a charge or hidden fee is not even stated in their T&C. Despite this, they refused to refund the charges as the Motorola is apparently a non-supported PP phone! But I was told they can turn off DATA to stop these charges. I then submitted a tkt asking to turn off DATA and WAP so I have written confirmation in case I need to argue any further charges.

So, check your statements for these bogus penny charges and contact PP to turn OFF data if you dont need the feature or using a non-smartphone.

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Had the same penny charges on my Moto V3m and the only way to stop it was to turn of data at PagePlus. It burned through about $0.25 cents in a day.

Sent from my WX435 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I'm no expert, but I believe it's because of the stock Verizon programs like VCast and the like that come with the phone. Page Plus can't stop these programs from doing what Verizon intended them to do. I've been through the same issue. We had an LG VX8350 and an LG Env2 that did the same thing. All you can do is have the data turned off, or use a TnT1200 or other plan that includes data. Then it's not a big deal.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The charges are not "bogus", they are not PPC's fault, and there is no reason something like this should appear in T&Cs. Follow the advice given above, and the charges will stop.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlh1960 View Post
    ."....... All you can do is have the data turned off, or use a TnT1200 or other plan that includes data. Then it's not a big deal.
    ...as long as you're happy paying $$$ every month for voice & texting services that you don't use and have to leave on the table when you flip the calendar to the next month. I use the standard plan and grit my teeth over the usurious data rates.

C'mon PP-- let's see a data bucket for the Standard Plans!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    Such a charge or hidden fee is not even stated in their T&C
    Did your T&C state that you were special and they were giving you free data? If not, when you signed up, you agreed to pay for data as per their published schedule based on the plan you chose. You're using data, so you get charged.

Carriers
    Talk For Good
    Truphone personal
    Feedback Score
    Old news. Almost any VZW feature phone with BREW will trigger these charges; I sold an LG EnV because of this. You could move from PAYG to the 12 and you'll likely never be bothered with the occasional data ping.

The alternative is to swap out the handset you have with a non BREW model; I switeched the wife to an LG Fathom (Windows Mobile 6) and the issue went away.

Phones
    K1m/L7C
    LG5300
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm using a Blackberry Storm (ex VZ) with PagePlus TNT1200. I show multiple data usage attempts every day (many failed) and usually shows about 600 - 914 "minutes" (15 hours!) every day. Assorted start times, I guess it ends when the phone shuts off at night. I get 80 MB of data each month, so I'm not charged, but I'm using 20-30 MB each month because of this. I could easily go down to the $12 plan because I don't use the phone that much, but I would go over data if I did.

I'm on WIFI most of the time and I turned off as much as I could and still have some connectivity. About all the data I use is Weatherbug. I do an auto Quickpull every morning.

I called PP but the girl was clueless, although you'd think they would know that this is a problem for a lot of people!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maiasaura View Post
    I'm using a Blackberry Storm (ex VZ) with PagePlus TNT1200. I show multiple data usage attempts every day (many failed) and usually shows about 600 - 914 "minutes" (15 hours!) every day. Assorted start times, I guess it ends when the phone shuts off at night. I get 80 MB of data each month, so I'm not charged, but I'm using 20-30 MB each month because of this. I could easily go down to the $12 plan because I don't use the phone that much, but I would go over data if I did.

I'm on WIFI most of the time and I turned off as much as I could and still have some connectivity. About all the data I use is Weatherbug. I do an auto Quickpull every morning.

I called PP but the girl was clueless, although you'd think they would know that this is a problem for a lot of people!
    Since you accused the girl at PP being clueless, I maintain you're the clueless one. You're using an unsupported phone and it's your phone which is doing the data. Firstly, is your BB configured for PP - if not research the threads on this site which give tell you how to do it. Secondly, see if your BB can be configured not to use cell phone data. Then you can turn that on only when you need to, which should eliminate those 15 hours each day. Also, while on the clueless model, TNT1200 gives you 100MB not 80MB each month. All of the above said with a lot of smileys.