Thread: How does T-Mobile work for home internet service ????

Feedback Score

How does T-Mobile work for home internet service ????

I have unlimited internet thru cable company but its 60 a month...Im looking cheaper but not looking to have much slower speeds either. I download movie files,zip files....Looking for other options.

Phones
    GSM (v550, N8)
    CDMA Motorola Milestone X
    WCDMA (V980, N8, TM506)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are talking about tethering on any current plans, I think you'd hit a throttle cap unless you really don't use a lot of data. Speeds depend greatly on the backhaul in your area.
    Donald Newcomb

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you are downloading video files, anything wireless probably wouldn't be a good deal.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Wireless is not a replacement for home internet.
    I usually support government regulation, but It is unfortunate that the government over-regulated and killed the AT&T/ T-Mobile Merger
    The best explanation of the pricing nutiness in the industry.
    Why Sprint and T-Mo will always suck.
    The only way to end the pricing insanity is to eliminate contracts and subsidies.
    I want Wifi calling on AT&T.
    If you text while driving, you're an idiot. End of story.

Phones
    GSM (v550, N8)
    CDMA Motorola Milestone X
    WCDMA (V980, N8, TM506)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    I think this statement it too broad. There are wireless replacements for home Internet. However, if you can get cable or DSL, the wireless systems are probably not your best choice.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I think this statement it too broad. There are wireless replacements for home Internet. However, if you can get cable or DSL, the wireless systems are probably not your best choice.
    Mobile cellular wireless is not a replacement. There are fixed-point systems like wifi that Wisps use.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMinCT View Post
    Disagree with that as I used Sprint back in the day (when 3G was unlimited and actually had decent speeds) for almost 2 years exclusively as my primary internet connection. I downloaded movies, played Warcraft 3 online, and used my PS3 every other day with little to no lag.

The only wireless provider that still offers unlimited 4G is Clearwire, as far as I know. T-Mobile is definitely good enough (assuming you live in a 4G area) for basic online gaming, web browsing, email, etc.. but if you are planning on any kind of movie streaming or downloads, forget about it. I can hit my 5GB cap in a couple days just from watching a couple of movies.

One of the biggest advantages of wireless is it goes with you. I moved from South Florida to Dothan, AL and didn't have to worry about getting a new internet service provider, I just kept using my Sprint 3G. And when I went back to South Florida, same thing.

So having used wireless only as a broadband replacement with success, even in online gaming, I'd say it is going to depend on your experience. If you can live with a data cap, then T-Mobile might be for you. If you can't, then stick with your cable company or check to see if Clearwire provides service in your area.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Only the really old pre-2008 T-Mobile plans provide unlimited data operating at HSPA+ speeds.

New plans have throttle points (5,10GB) and then your data is slowed to 150k/sec

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It depends. Most every T-mobile data plans is capped at 5GB. After you hit the cap, your throughput will be mercilessly reduced to 64kbits up and down regardless of a connection to 2G, 3G, or 4G.

I’de recommend t-mobile as home internet only:

1) your only other option from tradition ISPs is dialup (i.e. no cable or DSL)
    2) your not currently covered by Clearwire 4G
    3) your not currently covered by a local WISP
    5) you are covered by native T-mobile coverage (not Partner coverage)

T-mobile’s 2G GPRS and EDGE is still on par or better than landline dialup. T-mobile’s $30 unlimited data plan (only online and at walmart) is almost certainly cheaper than the total cost of dialup internet (ISP + phone line), and will almost always outperform dialup (even with the throughput cap).

If you have acces to any DSL or Cable, go with that. T-mobile’s modern capped dataplans are almost useless if you've ever used broadband.

Phone
    iPhone 4S 64GB, SGS III
    Carrier
    MSV 10GB 4 lines
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, using wireless as home internet is a last-ditch option. And in that case, you're way beyond where T-Mobile even has towers. You're far into Verizon territory, and probably AT&T EDGE land, so they wouldn't be of much help either. Unlimited LTE with MHS is pretty good, but that network will slow down and get throttled this fall when the iFlood of iTraffic comes on it.

I could see Verizon 4G LTE for a summer cottage with light use, or on a boat, or something like that, but not as primary home internet unless there are NO other options.

Phones
    Bold 9700
    Nokia Astound
    Cradlepoint MBR1200
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    When I used to do this, it works well for about two weeks streaming netflix and other videos via 3g phone, approx. 1mb/s. Then you hit the data cap and the link slows considerably (approx. 50kb/s). There used to be a trick to switch over to edge only and get edge speeds, but I think TMO closed this loophole. It is doable if you don't absolutely need internet all month and can head over to starbucks when you need to the second half of the month. I had the same problem, but by arguing with Time Warner they always lower my cable broadband to 29.99 when I threaten to cancel. If they really increased cable to $60 I would cancel and try and juggle internet on a couple of different $5 preferred web data lines.