Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM3997 View Post
    But I could live without the automatic period insertion the spacebar does when you press it down fully, as I got more unintended periods than intended ones.
    It a documented feature combined with a hardware issue.
    The feature is a double space becomes period space.

There are 2 switches, one under each side of the space bar. Of you press to one side or the other you get a space. The hardware issue is, pressing the middle of the space bar will normally trigger both switches, registering as 2 spaces and get converted to ". "

If you always use the sides of the space bar, you won't have issues.

But they could at least put the correct rate info in the Terms and Conditions, instead of it being a secret not even the customer service reps know about.
    Actually, they need to reconfigure the phone to match the documentation.
    The information in the supplied documentation (the little Service Guide) is legally binding.
    Specifically paragraph 19 of the Terms and Conditions.

There are some weasel words concerning modification, but I don't think they'd stand up given that TF has not published a notification of changes. Not to mention the phone has charged a different rate form day one, so it's hard to call it a modification.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    It (Skype) would be OK over wi-fi.
    What if you are in an area with no wifi available? What if you don't want your phone calls on a public network with no security?

Wifi is not a cureall for everything wrong with this phone.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Wifi is not a cureall for everything wrong with this phone.

Didn't mean to imply it was.

I'm still fighting to get the data rate fixed. I'd really like to keep a bet bit rate, just lower than 1.5/100KB
    Something like 0.05/100KB?

But I'll settle for 0.5/minute. That would allow most MMS messages to only cost 1.5 units total, which would be better than a lot at EDGE speed where a 300KB picture could take over a while to download.

And I could check email, even reply to some for a few units instead of 20+ units just loading the home page.

Feedback Score
    I'm so glad I came across all the info on this forum, especially concerning the data charges on the 3G tracfones. I got my S390G from HSN, and have been trying hard to like it. Did get wifi to work, which was a huge PRO for this phone. But using LG's with Tracfone for years, my current one being the LG500g, I have amassed 280 contacts, lots of notes and ToDo's and Calender entries and other things that won't transfer easily to the S390G. The contacts I would have to transfer one at the time, and then massively edit them. I keep a lot of Notes on my phones, many with far more than the 100 character limit of the S390G Notes (1000 characters on the LG500g), making this use of the S390G useless for me. Same problem with my ToDo's (I think they are Tasks on the S390G). So I had several issues with the S390G that were due to the features I had been making extensive use of on my LG500 that I couldn't do on the S390G. I was still trying to like the phone, thinking I could possibly download apps that would let me do the things I was doing on the LG.

Also, as nice as having wifi was, I had to wear reading glasses much of the time to browse on the S390G, as well as to read some of the menus and use the calendar. The screen fonts are adjustable on the LG500g, so I never had to use glasses. The keyboard on the S390G actually worked OK for me, but the lettering on the keys lacked contrast to see easily, so I again had to wear glasses. Nice thing the S390G keyboard does different, however, is if you hold down a key a little longer, it capitalizes the letter you are typing, without you having to hit the caps button. Nice touch! But I could live without the automatic period insertion the spacebar does when you press it down fully, as I got more unintended periods than intended ones.

Yet I was still thinking of keeping the S390G because it is a nice phone and my issues were due more to personal preference and coming from an LG phone to this one. But coming across the data charge issue did it for me. Although I don't use the browser much now, and was planning to browse with the S390G in wifi areas, I do text, which is why I have a QWERTY. And I do send MMS messages. Charging a lot more for faster 3G browsing I could live with due to the wifi option, though I think their formula for how much to charge needs refining, to put it nicely. AND IT NEEDS TO BE REVEALED TO PEOPLE PURCHASING THESE PHONES. They had no problem displaying ".3 units per text" on the packages on the older tracfones. I'm sure they wouldn't want to do that with the 3G Data rates, although I bet they wouldn't hesitate to put "NO DATA RESTRICTIONS" on the packages (with an * of course!). But they could at least put the correct rate info in the Terms and Conditions, instead of it being a secret not even the customer service reps know about.

BUT, the excessive rates to send MMS messages was the final straw. I'm sending the same amount of data as I was on the LG, but paying many multiples more for it. Heck, send my MMS by Edge or 2G, and charge what you used to for that, that seems fair. But for me, my ST390G has been reset, restored (removes all user data) and repackaged to return to HSN on Monday.

For those who like the ST390G, they like it because it is a really nice phone, especially for a Tracfone. So don't think I wrote all this to say this phone's no good. No, it's just that what Tracfone is doing on the MMS data rates for their 3G phones that is no good, and that added to the other personal preference issues I ran across was enough for me to send it back.
    Net 10 now has this phone on their website-try zip 24874 if needed. If you do a lot of stuff, you might benefit from their unlimited plan plus they also have the 25./750 min plan. If you or anyone really likes the phone but not the Tracfone plans try this.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonefreak View Post
    Net 10 now has this phone on their website-try zip 24874 if needed. If you do a lot of stuff, you might benefit from their unlimited plan plus they also have the 25./750 min plan. If you or anyone really likes the phone but not the Tracfone plans try this.
    If I wanted to spend that much per month, I'd just go StraightTalk, and get an Android based phone instead.
    Find a used Gingerbread phone which would be more powerful with better features (camera, plus all the android apps) than the S390G.

Feedback Score
    It a documented feature combined with a hardware issue.
    The feature is a double space becomes period space.

There are 2 switches, one under each side of the space bar. Of you press to one side or the other you get a space. The hardware issue is, pressing the middle of the space bar will normally trigger both switches, registering as 2 spaces and get converted to ". "

If you always use the sides of the space bar, you won't have issues.

Actually, they need to reconfigure the phone to match the documentation.
    The information in the supplied documentation (the little Service Guide) is legally binding.
    Specifically paragraph 19 of the Terms and Conditions.

There are some weasel words concerning modification, but I don't think they'd stand up given that TF has not published a notification of changes. Not to mention the phone has charged a different rate form day one, so it's hard to call it a modification.
    Oh. I missed the documentation about the space bar, sorry. I had noticed if I pressed on the far right edge of it, however, I could usually avoid the period. If I pressed in the middle, it felt like it had two positions. A light press would give a space, and a heavy press would give a period and space, like for the end of a sentence. Which seemed to make sense, so I figured that was the way it was intended to work. I figured pressing on the edge just made it easier for me to just hit the first position because half my thumb was off the key resting on a non-moving surface.

And I fully agree with you that changing the phone to match the current documentation would be a far better solution for the data charge issue! Although another weasel area may be the statement "All plan rates, features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation" in section 16 of the Terms and Conditions. Or is that the weasel area you were referring too?

Feedback Score

Reducing Browsing Cost

While I was testing the phone over wifi, I found that disabling Flash in the Options made pages load a lot faster due to killing most of the ads. And most mobile sites seemed to work OK without flash or Java. While I was just doing this to get rid of most ads while testing the phone, it might help with the data charges if it is actually keeping the phone from downloading the flash data and not just blocking the display of it.

Of course you'd have to reenable it every time you wanted to watch a flash video, which would be a pain. And we wouldn't have to worry about doing any of this if Tracfone would abide by its own Terms and Conditions.

Feedback Score
    ... disabling Flash might help with the data charges.
    But disabling Flash won't help with MMS charges. A 500 kB pic costs 1.5 units to send on a LG 800 or LG 500 or any other standard Trac. But on the S425 and S390, it costs about 8 - 20 units, a 5 - 15 fold increase.

Feedback Score
    If I wanted to spend that much per month, I'd just go StraightTalk, and get an Android based phone instead. Find a used Gingerbread phone which would be more powerful with better features (camera, plus all the android apps) than the S390G.
    I absolutely agree. Dump Trac, dump Net10, for that matter dump Straight Talk if you want to and go with a different company altogether. There plenty of fish in the prepaid sea.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    But disabling Flash won't help with MMS charges. A 500 kB pic costs 1.5 units to send on a LG 800 or LG 500 or any other standard Trac. But on the S425 and S390, it costs about 8 - 20 units, a 5 - 15 fold increase.
    No, I know it won't help with MMS charges. Guess I did stray a bit from my main concern, the charges for MMS. Just thought it might help someone else with browsing charges (or at least killing some flash ads on ad-overloaded web pages) if they hadn't thought to try that.

Feedback Score
    No, I know it won't help with MMS charges. Guess I did stray a bit from my main concern, the charges for MMS. Just thought it might help someone else with browsing charges (or at least killing some flash ads on ad i'-overloaded web pages) if they hadn't thought to try that.
    Have any off you had a productive conversation or even an acknowledgment of the problem by TracFone?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by episodic View Post
    Have any off you had a productive conversation or even an acknowledgment of the problem by TracFone?
    Sort of. Somone at the ER number claims to have sent it to engineering and management.

And someone on TracFoneFoum looks to be trying. She did give me a string of coded to try, but they didn't help.
    That was Thursday, an I didn't get a chance to try the codes until late. Friday She said they were working on it.
    Same today.

Feedback Score
    Sort of. Somone at the ER number claims to have sent it to engineering and management.

And someone on TracFoneFoum looks to be trying. She did give me a string of coded to try, but they didn't help.
    That was Thursday, an I didn't get a chance to try the codes until late. Friday She said they were working on it.
    Same today.
    Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the phone, based on the hope that it will be resolved.

It does charge the correct rate for plain texting and talking, correct?

Also, can you use the email client to email photos while on wifi getting around the high MMS fee for now at least?

I'm understanding from these threads checking a couple of sites here and there with opera mini isn't that bad charge wise? Correct?

Thanks so much for your trying to get through on this. If you find good resolution, I hope that you can post your results.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by episodic View Post
    Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the phone, based on the hope that it will be resolved.
    I don't know that I would have knowing what I know now.
    Really depends in your usage habits.

But, the HSN deal for $100 for 1500 minutes (400 tripled + 300 bonus) was a good deal.
    And my wife and son like there's a lot better the the one's replaced.

I do like the camera, stills and videos are much better. The MP3 player is better (faster too).
    And support for 32GB SD cards is a plus.

None of use used MMS or web on the EDGE phones, so it's not a big loss to not use it.
    And wi-fi makes the browser/email more usable
    It does charge the correct rate for plain texting and talking, correct?

Also, can you use the email client to email photos while on wifi getting around the high MMS fee for now at least?
    yes.

If you find good resolution, I hope that you can post your results.
    Results will be posted either way.

Carriers
    Tracfone ATT GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettecor View Post
    Actually wife ordered the case. The picture looked better than the actual case. I just ordered a new one called Swiss Glacier Belt Carrying Case by Swiss Leatherware. It really looks nice.

I really don't want to use the phone until the case arrives.

See Ya.

Larry
    This is the belt case I ordered from an Ebay seller, I got it today and I liked it so much that I bought another one.

Black Vertical Leather Belt Clip Swivel Case for Tracfone Samsung SGH-S390G S390
    Item# 140796922457 $5.98 USD Including shipping.

Page 10 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 60 ... LastLast