Page 12 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by episodic View Post
    I'm curious - at any point did they actually acknowledge there was a problem and that the phone they are sending you would not have the problem. I could never get them to say anything for sure, thats why I declined the replacement at that moment.
    She admitted that the one I have is not charging correctly.

Then something about setting up the replacement before it ships with my number and the correct air time to insure it is working correctly.

I repeatedly press the question and she said the replacement would be correct.
    If course I couldn't record the call (out of town on business and at a hotel).
    That's why I got the name and ID.

I will note that she answered on the 2nd ring and answered "Executive Resolutions".

Still it was like pulling teeth. Going in circles about the rates and not understanding how MMS messages are charged. That why I gave up that route and went with the browser.

It was much simpler to explain and test on the line.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by episodic View Post
    I'm wondering if the net10 and straight talk version of this phone is programmed correctly.
    That's an interesting question

It doesn't show up for my zip on NET10's page, but I do see it on the GSM4 page.

Went to net10forum and I can't find any mention of the S390G there.
    That would imply that users haven't been reporting problems.
    Of course the owners may all be on the unlimited plan and not notice/care.

NET10 is supposed to be 1 unit per minute http://www.net10.com/content/terms_conditions.jsp
    And wow, MMS charges are a lot higher...
    "You will be charged 2.5 minutes to send or receive a multi-media message (the "MMS Charge"). In addition to the 2.5 minute MMS Charge, you will incur an additional WAP Access Charge of 1 minute of airtime per minute of access for the time it takes to send or receive the MMS (see Additional Access Charges for Data Services below)."

Carriers
    Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    I'm mulling over buying it on the Net10 site myself, debating the keyboard layout etc. vs my LG900G, which I love the keyboard. so any keyboard experiences I'd love to hear since I'm big on texting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I will note that she answered on the 2nd ring and answered "Executive Resolutions".
    I believe this is not the real Miami CS. When I have called 305-715-6500 in the past, a receptionist answered the phone and I was transferred to an in-house CSR. It was obviously a U.S.A. office connection and not a call center. And one guy even said that it was here.

I have gotten the "Executive Resolutions" thing by calling a different number. It's Tracfone's answer to everyone wanting to speak to Miami, so the company fakes it. I believe it was just another call center, but the people were more competent, although they were still not familiar with the actual product.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You may be right. I was out of town on business, calling from the hotel.
    Long distance numbers not really an option.

I had a bad connection/phone so couldn't hear very well, but she spoke fairly well.
    We'll see how it goes.

I'm still going to try the other number for the other 2 phones and keep pushing the forum as well.

Feedback Score
    I called the Miami number July 13th and spoke to someone about too many units being deducted while I was browsing. He had me try a few codes which did not fix the problem, then said he would call me back in two hours and never did.

I called back yesterday and explained the situation. The CS rep had me add a few codes, which seemed to improve the problem, but I don't really know since I did not have a fixed test to run.

I just found this site, http://i.dslr.net/iphone_speedtest.html and propose to use the Manual test with 2mb image link at the bottom of that page, http://i.dslr.net/nullbig1.jpg, to use as a test.

When I tried the nullbig1.jpg link (from my 1st link above) on my S390G, it took about 6.5 units off my phone, but I only had the browser up for less then two minutes, so I don't think they've fixed the problem yet, unless they intend to charge us by amount of data downloaded vs time connected to the 3G network.

I did try using Amazon.com for some random product searching for a timed 6 minutes and the phone only took 1.395 units - which seems reasonable to me. Of course this required less bandwidth (downloaded less data) than the image test above.

If anyone tries the image test above, please post how many units it took off your phone.

If there's a better test to do, please let me know.
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Windows shows that file (nullbig1.jpg) as 1.89MB (1,986,284 bytes = 1937.84KB)
    My calculations say that would be 29 units/minutes (1937 / 100 * 1.5)

And the test I just ran matched that calculation, 29 units and less than 2 minutes with the browser up.
    (since my replacement is supposed to have the minutes from before my test Thursday)

6.5 units is significantly better so they changed something. Of course annepani called and they fixed it for a short time (1 MMS message as I recall)

Did you write down the codes entered?

Can you post the values of Parameter 106 and 206?
    Menu-Prepaid->code entry-> *#106 ->OK
    Menu-Prepaid->code entry-> *#206 ->OK

To get 6.5 units for 1937KB gives 0.33 units/100KB (instead of 1.5)
    You may have had a bit more data though so it may be 0.3.
    Loading the default home page, navigating to the site, etc. I tested over wi-fi first, so it was pre-entered in the URL field, and you can quickly start the browser, hit options -> 6 -> OK.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 07-21-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Feedback Score
    HSN.com has the S390G for $100 again - 1200 minutes this time vs 1500 minutes during July 4th sale.

Feedback Score
    ST Dog,

*#106:
    BW=ACT R=1.50

*#206:
    AT: 1234.5678 (I replaced my current air time bal with these numbers)
    BW Scale: 100

My guesstimate is my phone is charging 1 unit / 300 kB.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 07-21-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: 600kB/unit -> 300 kB/unit

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    ST Dog,

*#106:
    BW=ACT R=1.50

*#206:
    BW Scale: 100

My guesstimate is my phone is charging 1 unit / 600 kB.
    Hmm...

Well it didn't change any of the settings I suspect.
    (really hoped to see the R=0.30 in param 106)
    I wonder if it will revert back like annepani's phone did...
    Have you turned it off yet to see if it holds through a power cycle?

I have some small images you can test with. 50-300kB. Might make it easier to calculate the rate.
    I sent via MMS so I could easily see the cost of each file.

At least then you won't loose as much airtime if/when it reverts back.

I don't guess you wrote down/saved the codes you used?

Feedback Score
    ST Dog,

Sorry, I did not answer 1st time: It's hard enough just entering the codes in without writing them first, so no - I don't have them.

I don't think I power-cycled after entering the codes, so I can try that with an image if you post the link and how many units you phone uses for that link. After power cycle, *#106/206 are still as before (except my unit balance) - so no unexpected change on those two. Any others to check?

I'm doing my tests using the signed version of Opera 7.0.0 - which browser are you using?

Do you know of any apps to look at text files or PDF files on this phone? Loaded any other cools apps on this phone, aside from Opera 7.0 and 4.4, I have not - still need to port my LG800g to this phone.

Any easy way to bring the contacts, music, pictures, etc over?

Thanks!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Every time I disconnect the charging wire from my phone and attempt to turn on the phone, nothing happens. The phone will NOT turn on.

If I wait about 30 seconds and try again the phone comes on with no problems. It happens EVERY time.

Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks

Larry

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    so I can try that with an image if you post the link and how many units you phone uses for that link.
    I put several here
    http://www.cadillacmisfits.com/thomas/phone/

Any others to check?
    Not that I'm aware of. Those two were the only ones that looked like possibilities after comparing to 3 different older models.

I'm doing my tests using the signed version of Opera 7.0.0 - which browser are you using?
    The default browser for my tests. Simpler that way, and they can't blame the other browser for the problem.

Do you know of any apps to look at text files or PDF files on this phone?
    It's actually built in to the phone. If you go to
    Menu -> My Folder -> Other Files
    you'll see a PDF file (Open Source Announcement.pdf, lists the OSS on the phone and copies of the licenses as required by OSS). Push the center button (or Options -> View). Use the volume buttons on the size to zoom, and the cursor to scroll around.

Any easy way to bring the contacts, music, pictures, etc over?
    Depends on the source phone. The T404G send contact via BT all at once.
    With the LG500G I had to do one at a time (the S390G didn't understand the way the LG sent more than one at a time)

For the rest, you can swap SD cards, use BT, or USB (depending on your other phone).
    For you LG800G, I'd reuse the card or use a PC+card reader to copy form one card to another.
    USB is a good option too since they use the same USB cable. Copy form the old phon to a PC, then swap phones and copy to the new one.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettecor View Post
    Every time I disconnect the charging wire from my phone and attempt to turn on the phone, nothing happens. The phone will NOT turn on.

Anybody else have this problem?
    I don't normally turn mine off when charging.
    I did turn it off and on while on the charger though.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I don't normally turn mine off when charging.
    I did turn it off and on while on the charger though.
    Another thing that I forgot to mention, if I turn my phone off and then insert the charging cable, I get NO indication that the phone is charging.

I really don't want to send the phone back to HSN and get another one, if the things are happening to other people's phone.

But, I also want my phone working properly.

Thanks

Larry

Page 12 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 62 ... LastLast