Page 13 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Just turned it off then plugged in the charger. After a few seconds The "Samsung" boot screen appears, with the progress bar across the bottom. Then It switches to a battery on screen (running up/down) with graded bard circling the battery.

One question though. What charger are you using? The one that came with oit or the one that came with the LG?

I ask because my LG chargers don't work. I don't thing they seat properly. So they work for a moment then loos contact (sometime, other times they don't work at all).
    My old car chargers work fine though, as does the USB cable.

If it's off and I plug it the computer via USB it's the same as using the Samsung charger.

(I can get a picture of the screen if you want)

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the charging cable that came with the S390G. I decided to take the battery out and reinstall and now I am getting the battery charging boot screen and now the phone turns on right away.

Really strange I thought sure I put the battery in correctly the first time. It charged fully with 5 bars each time. I guess I did not have the back cover snug enough.

Thanks ST DOG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I downloaded http://www.cadillacmisfits.com/thomas/phone/299k.jpg with Opera 7.0 and got dinged 2.07 units . How much does it ding you?

...... Use the volume buttons on the size to zoom, and the cursor to scroll around.
    I was using the built in viewer, but did not catch that volume up/down was what they meant for zooming. Thanks for that tip.

Thanks for the info on copying the contacts ....... I'll try that in the next few days.

Please tell me what the image I tested with above dings your phone for.

I'm also correcting my download rate guesstimate to 300 KB/unit.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 07-21-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    How much does it ding you?
    4.56 with the default browser.
    2.08 with opera, but you you look at the download bar in opera it says 157kB. That's because opera doesn't download directly, it looks to processes it to reduce the bandwidth. Generally that's good as pages load faster and less load on the network. Not so good for testing though.

Try it with the default browser, which doesn't change the files it downloads.

Feedback Score
    ......Try it with the default browser, which doesn't change the files it downloads.
    ST Dog,
    Ouch! 4.545 units with default browser

I agree with your assessment that we're getting charged

1.5 units / 100 KB = 1 unit / 66.667 KB

What are they supposed to be charging us and where is that documented please?

I hope the send you a phone with better rates. Please let us know what the new phone rate is.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 07-21-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    ST Dog,
    Ouch! 4.545 units with default browser
    Opera probably did the same optimizing with your 2MB image.

What are they supposed to be charging us and where is that documented please?
    Like all the other TFs, 0.5 units per minute connected.
    It's in the service guide that came with the phone and on the web site.
    http://www.tracfone.com/data_svs/price_chart.jsp

And if you ask them on the phone that's what they quote, once they figure out what you are asking.

Now, I'm all for a per byte charge. Beats being charged while reading the pages.
    But the rate is too high. 0.1 unit/100KB would be fine. Maybe call it 1 unit/MB.
    (Shoot, even 1.5 units/MB would be reasonable)

But if I load a singe page, like http://att.yahoo.com to check my email and it costs 23 units, that's just not even in the ball park.

Feedback Score
    I wish I could find a signed version of the app now.
    ST Dog,
    "Your wish is my command" ........ type this into your phone browser:
    m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?ver=2.3.2&signed=1

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    ST Dog,
    "Your wish is my command" ........ type this into your phone browser:
    m.google.com/maps/download/maps.jad?ver=2.3.2&signed=1
    Yeah, I got it a day or so later.
    Took some playing to figure out what I needed in the link.
    Though I had posted it here, but I guess it was only on the TF site.

My guess is that Google doesn't recognize the phone, so doesn't provide the signed version correctly.

Feedback Score
    I lost the red thing that came in my box from HSN to call in and get the 1500 mins added to the phone. Does anyone have that phone number that is on that card? Thanks a ton!

Feedback Score
    The number is 1 888 281 8444. You will need your HSN order number, shipping zip code, and wireless phone number.

Feedback Score
    ^ Thanks for that!
    FYI here is the response I got from Tracfone when complaining about the huge min consumption of this phone.

Hi matt,

This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. In response to your query, please be advised that each time you access the TracFone Wireless WAP with your TracFone's browser, 0.5 units per minute will be deducted from your TracFone (Access Charges). Access charges are deducted in full minute increments. WAP access of less than 60 seconds is rounded up to the next full minute. Access charges begin when your TracFone makes a data connection. This should occur shortly after you open your browser, send or receive a multi-media message (e.g., a picture), initiate a content download or if WAP access is initiated for any other purpose. Access charges end when the data connection terminates. This should occur shortly after you close your browser, successfully receive or send a multi-media message (e.g., a picture), after a successful content download or after any other closure of a WAP session. The WAP access duration and the related access charges are not determined from the exact moment you press a button on your phone to open or close the browser. In addition to the access charges, there will be an additional one-time charge for any content you select to download (Content Charge). The content charges vary depending on the type of content you purchase and download. You will be advised of the content charges prior to finalizing your purchase.

The data services you purchase and download may only be used or viewed on the TracFone for which they were purchased and cannot be transferred to any other device, including a new or replacement TracFone. Data services are non-refundable and non-transferable. In addition to the content charges and MMS charges, and regardless of the payment option you use, there is always an additional access charge of 0.5 units per minute associated with downloading content, accessing/viewing information services or utilizing MMS. Total access charges will vary depending on the size of the content and the actual time it takes to download the content, access/view the information service or utilize MMS.

This information be viewed on our website at www.tracfone.com on the Terms and Conditions under Section 19 (nineteen). For more information on data services, please consult the Data Services Quick Guide. If you have further questions, please send us an email at TF.CorpResolutionTeam@tracfone.com.
    ----
    My reply told him that I do understand the 'rules' of a tracfone, I've had one for 5 years and 4 phones. But, this phone doesn't act within the rules. I can be online for 1-2 mins and it takes off over 10. I send an MMS message and it takes of 9.678 mins or whatever. This phone is a joke. I use it just like every other phone I have had from them and I just went thru almost 1000 mins this month when I usually go thru 2-300.. Seems like every time I touch it 20-30 mins fly off it.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticcatmatt View Post
    My reply told him that I do understand the 'rules' of a tracfone, I've had one for 5 years and 4 phones. But, this phone doesn't act within the rules. I can be online for 1-2 mins and it takes off over 10. I send an MMS message and it takes of 9.678 mins or whatever. This phone is a joke. I use it just like every other phone I have had from them and I just went thru almost 1000 mins this month when I usually go thru 2-300.. Seems like every time I touch it 20-30 mins fly off it.
    The trick is first convincing them that it's not charging correctly. The getting a fix.
    I got through step one twice now.

Step 2 is proving harder.
    A few people have been given codes to "fix" it, but they haven't worked.
    One rep from the forum claims to have sent it to engineering for a fix, but no progress there.
    Last week I got someone at ER that is sending a new phone that is supposed to be fixed, but I don't have that phone yet.

For now, try to get back some of the wasted minutes it is possible, though 1000 is tough.
    I did get 200 back related to my testing/debugging the problem.

Other than that, don't use the data services until a fix is found. No browsing, data apps, email, or MMS.
    (you can use all but MMS with wi-fi though).
    Last edited by ST Dog; 07-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    Other than that, don't use the data services until a fix is found. No browsing, data apps, email, or MMS. (you can all but MMS with wi-fi though).
    A caution about counting on wi-fi. The S390 does not have a way to disable cell data as you can with an android for example. So if wi-fi drops its signal the session automatically continues with cell data and that charges you minutes. I have had that happen.

When on wi-fi you must keep your eyes glued to the green wi-fi icon. If it changes to blue, then wi-fi has dropped. The session just continues, using your data minutes, with no notice or comment like "Your wi-fi has disconnected. Would you like to continue on data?" Not even a beep or tone.

BTW I had the S390, Galaxy S2 and my laptop going on the same wi-fi at the same time and only the S390 dropped the connection.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    First change the idle time setting. The default is 300 second, so after 5 minutes of inactivity it drops the connection. I haven't had it drop while I was actively using it, just if I got distracted and let it sit a while, was reading a long page, or typing a long response (forum/email)

I do wish it would reconnect on it's own like my laptop.

It's not perfect, but if the data charges can get fixed, It'll be a great little phone.

Then again, 2 years ago would any of us think we'd have a TF with wi-fi? 3G? A decent camera? USB and Bluetooth connectivity?
    Or were we all wondering if we'd ever get a qwerty keyboard or a touchscreen.

Carriers
    Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Is anybody using the Net 10 version of this? Any particular differences? I am thinking of buying one and trying it out. For example, my current LG 900G gives me 1/4 minute per text, how bout the Samsung S390G? Any Net10 Users of this, let me now ... THanks!

Page 13 of 95 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 63 ... LastLast