Page 20 of 95 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Carrier
    TF GSM & ST CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMtnBiker View Post
    Every time I go to download apps like Opera and Google maps, it warns me that they are unsigned. Where do I get the signed versions?
    I have no idea if there is a signed version of Google Maps but here are the instructions to download the signed version of Opera Mini:

Go to m.opera.com on your phone. On the page it brings up select "Other download options", on the page that brings up go way down the page near the bottom until it says "Options for Opera Mini 7.0" and click-on the "Select Code-Signing Certificate". On the page that brings up select "All certificates" then on the next page you select "Download Opera Mini 7.0" and that will get you Opera Mini 7.0 with the signed security certificates.

Here is a good reference to bookmark if you have questions: http://www.opera.com/mobile/help/guide/

IMPORTANT NOTE: After you have it installed you DO NOT USE THE NATIVE BROWSER, you use Opera Mini by going to your Games & Apps and launching it there.

NOTE FOR LG900G USERS: The LG900G has an issue with installing some apps while the memory card is installed so either remove it before you try or see if it works and if not then remove it and try again. After you install Opera Mini you can move it to the memory card to free up internal memory.

Feedback Score
    A couple of questions about the 390:
    1) what is the actual size of the display screen?
    2) does it have voice commands?
    3) does the camera have a flash?
    4) is the length of the phone similar to the lg800g?
    5) is the width a little wider?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettecor View Post
    Just transfer your minutes from your old phone to the new one. After you do that add your promotional minutes. I had 1120 minutes on my Tracfone LG800G. I activated the phone, transferred my 1120 minutes to Tracfone S390G, then called the number listed on the card to get my promo minutes. I now have over 2400 minutes and 502 days. Larry
    You cannot transfer Net10 minutes onto a Tracfone phone or vice versa. And you also cannot use a Net10 phone on Tracfone service, or vice versa, even if they are the same model.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post
    I have no idea if there is a signed version of Google Maps but here are the instructions to download the signed version of Opera Mini:

Go to m.opera.com on your phone. On the page it brings up select "Other download options", on the page that brings up go way down the page near the bottom until it says "Options for Opera Mini 7.0" and click-on the "Select Code-Signing Certificate". On the page that brings up select "All certificates" then on the next page you select "Download Opera Mini 7.0" and that will get you Opera Mini 7.0 with the signed security certificates.

Here is a good reference to bookmark if you have questions: http://www.opera.com/mobile/help/guide/

IMPORTANT NOTE: After you have it installed you DO NOT USE THE NATIVE BROWSER, you use Opera Mini by going to your Games & Apps and launching it there.

NOTE FOR LG900G USERS: The LG900G has an issue with installing some apps while the memory card is installed so either remove it before you try or see if it works and if not then remove it and try again. After you install Opera Mini you can move it to the memory card to free up internal memory.
    I followed those instructions and it keeps saying that the connection failed every time I attempt a download. Also, for the address I found for google maps, it will download about 60% and stop. This is while I am connected via Wi-Fi.

Nevermind. I found out I can't download via Wi-Fi. I was able to download it via 3G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lrtranscripts View Post
    wish it was ez to switch between TF and Net10, including transfer of phone# and mins
    You can transfer the phone number, including GSM to CDMA and CDMA to GSM, but you cannot transfer minutes or service days.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I ordered this phone a while ago, but have subsequently cancelled after catching up on this thread. Even with the wi-fi and the TMFL, I do not want to be charged the higher message cost just to do a quick check of email like I do on my LG500g.

I currently use PicoMail and a Gmail app, and usually I can get on and off and get charged only .5 or 1 minute. Sounds like the wi-fi capability, which I really want, seems too good to be true.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    aca, you have to judge that. If you could download all the data needed in 1 or 2 minutes at EDGE speeds, it may not be much data. Depending on how much email you get, maybe the email app could be set to just check new messages and only download a small amount of data

I've used Gmaps a few times an it only took a minute or two of air time.
    Much less than my LG500G too, plus it handles Gmaps better.

How often would you be able to use wi-fi and not use any airtime?
    Would it out weigh the added costs for when you used the 3G connection?
    Only you would know that.

As I mentioned earlier, my wife and son are happy with it. They don't use the phone for data services.
    Never have, so no loss for them. I really never used them in the past either, so no real loss for me either.

And the wi-fi option allows me to use the web/apps more than I would have in the past.

Yesterday, I walked into the hotel lobby, connected to wi-fi, send my wife a picture form the phone for free, and headed for supper in under a minute. Instead of pulling out the laptop, waiting for it to come up, get the picture via BT/USB, send the email, shut it all down, then head to supper.

And I could have stopped anywhere with free wi-fi.

Carriers
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know where I can get a case/cover for the S390G?

Thanks for any replies in advance!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a case/cover for the S390G?

Thanks for any replies in advance!
    Nana, I was getting ready to order a case and data cable via Ebay, they had a case for $5.96. Was looking more for book case types but I just happened to see two holster cases at Rite Aid Pharmacy for $12.99 each. Padded with magnetic latch cover and swivel belt clip that locks vertical or horizontal. One was soft leather and the other canvas, and the S390G fit both perfectly. It was Wireless Gear Premium (ESI Cases & Accessories) brand. If it helps in your search, the package read Apple iPhone, Samsung Blackjack, & most Blackberry's & Smartphones, but being able to try the fit before the buy sold me. Accessorywiz.com has some others showing on their site.

Best bet...just Google "S390G cases"

Phones
    LG Dare (Verizon)
    Samsung T401G (Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Just had another quirky thing happen, but not sure if it's the phone or just a Net10 "thing".

I've had this phone for a week already, and ironically, there were no hangups at all when I called them to transfer the number and minutes from the LG900 over to this one. Everything was completed within minutes. I have been on the $15 per month plan for 200 minutes for a good while on the LG, and the Net10 rep said everything was being transferred as-was to the new phone, too.

Just a few minutes ago, I got a text that says, "Your auto-refill plan has been cancelled. Visit My Account to enroll in automatic payments again". (??). huh?

I'm a bit leery to do that because if this is a glitch in their system I don't want to be double-billed each month. I notice that when I look at my stash of minutes saved up (quite a few) and the expire date on the phone it says my due date on adding minutes is 1/19/2013. Heck if that's true I'll just wait before I re-enroll again. But that date was never really accurate when it was autofilling each month anyway. Is this the norm when you transfer phones and are using autopay, or is this just one more quirky thing about this particular model and the way it handles data charges that's causing this?

Feedback Score

Samsung S390G – Video Conversion Tutorial

[For the full tutorial including MediaCoder setup, scroll down past the settings list.]

After much trial and error, these are the settings I've used to successfully convert my movies and videos for playback on the S390G. If you already have a preferred video converter, just use the following settings. Might need a little tweaking according to your specific converter, though. This phone also has a bug: if video files are larger than 256 MB (~1:42:30 with my settings), playback past this point will begin stuttering, and eventually terminate with an error message.
    WORKAROUND: You'll need to split any movies longer than 1:42:30 into segments to avoid this.

[VIDEO]
    Resolution: 320x240
    Container: MP4
    Codec: H.264
    Software Encoder: x264
    Profile: Baseline
    Level: 5.1
    Preset: Medium
    Tune: Film (or whatever you're transcoding)
    Reference Frames: 10
    Rate Mode: 2-pass
    Video Bitrate: 256 Kbps

[AUDIO]
    Format: LC-AAC
    Sample Rate: Original from source
    Target Bitrate: 96 Kbps

Now, for the full tutorial...
    1. Download MediaCoder from mediacoderhq.com; choose the version that is appropriate for your machine.
    2. Unzip and install by clicking on the setup file. Make sure anything you want to include is checked.
    3. After install finishes, run MediaCoder. A splash screen will display; don't go to the first time configuration wizard, just click the button that takes you to the main screen.
    4. Set your output folder in the upper right hand corner of the screen (this is where your videos will end up after converting).
    5. Click on “Video” tab in lower left of screen. Set Video Bitrate to 256 Kbps, Rate Mode to 2-pass, Format to H.264
    6. x264 should have automatically been selected as the encoder. If not, select it, then on the right side, under “x264” tab, set Profile to Baseline, Level to 5.1, Preset to Medium, Ref. Frames to 10. Tune should be set to whatever you're converting.
    7. Click on “Audio” tab in lower left of screen. Make sure Enabled is checked. Set Format to LC-AAC, Resample to Original. Make sure Auto Select is checked beside Encoder and Source.
    8. On the right side, under “Nero Encoder” tab, set Rate Mode to Target Bitrate, and set the Bitrate to 96 Kbps.
    9. Proceed to “Container” tab; select Container to MP4.
    10. Proceed to “Picture” tab; check Resize and set to 320x240, make sure Aspect Ratio is set to Keep Pixel AR, set Crop to Crop to Fit.
    11. In the next tab, “Sound”, Channels should be set to Stereo. If you feel the audio is too soft after transcoding, you can activate the Gain and increase the volume in this tab.
    12. Proceed to “Time” tab; this is where you can split the video if longer than 1:42:30. Unfortunately, Split function is disabled right now, so you'll need to transcode those movies 2x, setting the Start Position and End Position appropriately to split into 1:42:30 length videos (or I just split into 1:40:00 segments).
    13. If you wish to include subtitles, go to “Subtitle” tab to do so.
    14. If you have an SSD like me and don't want MediaCoder to be writing to it during transcode, set the temp folder by going to File->Settings->Overall->Task->Working folder and changing it to a directory of your choice.
    15. Your settings are now complete! To save them to be able to load later, go to File->Save as Preset.
    16. Add video files to the queue by clicking “Add” button and navigating to your videos. “Add Folder Recursively” will add all videos in a folder AND its subfolders, though it's been flaky in my experience.
    17. Finally, click “Start” button and let it do its thing! MediaCoder WILL by default consume 100% of your CPU as it transcodes, so it's best to do your converting when you're not using your PC. Also, about every 10 files a window will pop up asking for donations. The conversion will continue after 60 minutes, so just be patient or make the donation if you want to support the author.
    18. Enjoy glorious H.264 video on your S390G! If you get “File has invalid contents” at first, just keep clicking play – it will eventually work.

Hope this tutorial has helped, and thanks for reading!
    Last edited by loamhedge82; 08-03-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added resolution

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loamhedge82 View Post
    After much trial and error, these are the settings I've used to successfully convert my movies and videos for playback on the S390G. If you already have a preferred video converter, just use the following settings. Might need a little tweaking according to your specific converter, though. This phone also has a bug: if video files are larger than 256 MB (~1:42:30 with my settings), playback past this point will begin stuttering, and eventually terminate with an error message.

[VIDEO]
    Container: MP4
    Codec: H.264
    Software Encoder: x264
    Profile: Baseline
    Level: 5.1
    Preset: Medium
    Tune: Film (or whatever you're transcoding)
    Reference Frames: 10
    Rate Mode: 2-pass
    Video Bitrate: 256 Kbps

[AUDIO]
    Format: LC-AAC
    Sample Rate: Original from source
    Target Bitrate: 96 Kbps
    The Samsun pecs say:
    Audio
    • Music Player; Compatible Music Files, AAC, AAC+, MP3; Ringtones, Polyphonic 64-note; MP3/Music Tones

Video
    • Video Player; Compatible Video Files, H.263, H.264, MPEG4; Video, Streaming

So plenty of other settings should work.

If the issue is filesize I'd suggest scaling the resolution down (the phone is only 320 x 240) first.
    Also that bitrate is probably higher than necessary for viewing on the phone.
    A different audio CODEC would help too.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, other settings do work, but these are what I've found give the best results. AAC>MP3 for audio bitrate efficiency >64Kbps, whereas AAC+ is for lower bitrates. And of course, H.264>MPEG4>H.263 for video bitrate efficiency. Feel free to try different settings for yourself - these are only suggested bitrates for those who want to get up and running quickly!

And thanks for the heads-up about the missing resolution in my settings.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLee View Post

I tried the above instructions and every time I try to download it says connection failed. Can I not have the wi-fi connected to download ? I have downloaded other apps with the wi-fi connected.

Thanks

Larry

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettecor View Post
    I tried the above instructions and every time I try to download it says connection failed. Can I not have the wi-fi connected to download ?

That's been my experience. Some signed apps just won't download over wi-fi.
    Some will. I've not found an unsigned app that wouldn't, but that doesn't mean there aren't some.

Page 20 of 95 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 70 ... LastLast