Page 36 of 95 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 86 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Simpson View Post
    Internet browsing im still trying to figure out how to measure because if i am on the stock browser for 10 minutes then it only deducts 5.xx units which goes against everything i have read in this thread.
    Then you didn't really pay attention. It's based on the amount of data you download not how long you are connected. Low bandwidth mobile site won't cost much.

If you want to try a high bandwidth site, go to att.yahoo.com with the default browser, let it load, then exit and see how many minutes it charges.

Or, go here http://cadillacmisfits.com/thomas/phone/
    and grab one of the 200kB+ files (like 204k.jpg, 249k.jpg, or 299k.jpg)

Feedback Score
    Ugh, this is terrible. On my phone, I've managed to successfully connect to wifi (the wifi symbol is green) yet I still cannot manage to consistently use the browser. Out of the around 100 searches I've made on google, only two have given me results. The screen would just load and load and then eventually disconnect. The more I get into the internet, the more chances that I get stuck on a screen. Anyone have tips to help me please? I want to reset my phone but I don't know if that'll erase my contacts.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchau503 View Post
    yet I still cannot manage to consistently use the browser. Out of the around 100 searches I've made on google, only two have given me results.
    Which browser? Have you tried others?
    How are you getting to Google, typing the URL directly or using the TF pages (Search-> Google-> Search)?

I don't use the browser a lot but just tried a few searches and they all worked fine.

Any particular search terms that repeatedly cause problems?

When you get that blank screen, try reloading the page (Options->Navigate->Reload).

Feedback Score
    Cory Simpson,
    Thanks for you writeup.

Multitasking would be nice on this phone, I've never had a Tracfone that could.

If so you search back through this thread, there's a post on how to download the signed version of Google Maps.

As ST Dog wrote, browser time is based on the amount of data that gets download while browsing, not actual browsing time.
    Cheers!

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Then you didn't really pay attention. It's based on the amount of data you download not how long you are connected. Low bandwidth mobile site won't cost much.

If you want to try a high bandwidth site, go to att.yahoo.com with the default browser, let it load, then exit and see how many minutes it charges.

I started with 123.695 minutes. I went to att.yahoo.com and let it load, waited 2 full minutes, then exited. Now I have 123.63 for a difference of .065. Then I went and downloaded the 204k image (looks like an advert for obay) and now I have 120.44 left for a difference of 3.19.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. The 200k file charged as expected (~3 units, 1.5units/100K).

The att.yahoo.com charge is surprising though.
    That page has cost me in excess of 20 minutes every time I've loaded it (because of all the images it downloads).

Tested it again, and it looks like the phone is now loading the mobile version, stripped of the heavy graphics.
    Yahoo.com is still loading the full page (eventually giving an error about "Page too large.")

(The files I linked were just random images that I resized before putting on the server)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Which browser? Have you tried others?
    How are you getting to Google, typing the URL directly or using the TF pages (Search-> Google-> Search)?

I don't use the browser a lot but just tried a few searches and they all worked fine.

Any particular search terms that repeatedly cause problems?

When you get that blank screen, try reloading the page (Options->Navigate->Reload).
    I'm using the TF pages to get to google. Most of the times, I can't even get my browser to load though and I've tried other search engines but I get the same result: that the screen loads until I get disconnected. It's like I have a 20 second window of quick wifi the moment I turn it on before it gets disconnected. :/

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Others have had problems with wi-fi disconnecting. I wonder if it's a sensitivity issue in the phone (and a swap would help) or if it depends on the AP/router.

I recently changed my router at home and the phone seams to disconnect less, but I really don't use it that much (why use the phone when my laptop is there)

Feedback Score
    I moreso feel like it's a problem with the wifi for some reason. Is there a reason for a "W" not being on the left of my wifi's name but it is on my neighbor's wifi?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchau503 View Post
    I moreso feel like it's a problem with the wifi for some reason.
    But that wouldn't explain why some people see near instant disconnects and others can stay connected long term, and other see both behaviors at different times/different nets (like me).

Is there a reason for a "W" not being on the left of my wifi's name but it is on my neighbor's wifi?
    I think the W is for WPA encryption (while w/o is for WEP). When I added a WPA SSID to my router I got the W, and it isn't there for my WEP SSID. It might also relate to WPS, but I have that turned off on my router and still get the W (of course any WPA router is capable of WPS so it's hard to differentiate).

Also, the little pad lock icon in the lower right shows encrypted SSIDs. If you don't have that then it's an open network (no key needed to connect) which you find with a lot of public APs (and hotel rooms).

Feedback Score
    Never mind, I fixed the wifi problem by resetting the router.

I'm not able to install google maps though since the download would cancel before it starts. Is the app very important and do I need wifi while driving on the streets to use it?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    GMaps may be one than I had to use the cell network to download.

Only you know if it's important. I've used it a few times when I missed a turn in an unfamiliar area.
    It's a lot better than accessing the web version on the phone.

It uses data, so cost is an issue unless you have wi-fi available.
    When I've needed/used the app, wi-fi wasn't an option.

Carriers
    Airvoice
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Simpson View Post
    Well here is my review for whatever it is worth....(etc.)
    Cory, Thanks so much for your thorough review, and I agree - I use the LG900g and now as well the Samsung S390g - I love the keyboard (although I wish it was backlit brighter), and love the wi-fi and internet (minimal user), and the fractions of airtime are reasonable for me.

Feedback Score
    I just bought the samsung s390g and I am having trouble playing java apps of more the 1000 kb. It gives me the message java error: no memory, even though I have plenty of memory on both the phone and the external memory card. Please let me know if anyone else has dealt with this problem and can help me fix it.
    Thanks

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkwaile View Post
    I just bought the samsung s390g and I am having trouble playing java apps of more the 1000 kb. It gives me the message java error: no memory, even though I have plenty of memory on both the phone and the external memory card.
    A 1MB app. That's huge.

There are different types of memory in the phone just like your computer.
    The memory you have plenty of is like hard drive space.
    The memory you don't have enough of is RAM, the part that the CPU can access directly.

So think of it as trying to run a game on your computer that says it needs 2GB, and you only have 1GB.
    (I remember when a 512kB was a lot of RAM)

Those big apps just won't run. My LG500G was even worse, with a lot more apps that were too big for the phone's RAM.

Page 36 of 95 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 86 ... LastLast