Page 37 of 95 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 87 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    For what its worth, my Samsung S390G won't charge with certain wall LG chargers that work with our LG800gs.

The output on the LG charger this happens with is 4.8 VDC / 0.4 A, while the working charger Samsung output is 5.0 VDC / 0.7A.

Sammy works fine with a LG 4.8V/1.0A charger I have.
    Interesting. Sounds like the phone want's more than 0.4A.
    To add a data point, I came across a Kyocera USB wal-wart.
    Just a 120V AC to 5V DC plug with a USB socket.
    The output is rated at 0.8A, and it works fine for charging the S390G (with both of my microB USB cables)

Somewhere I have a similar adapter that came with my wife's Kindle, but I can't find it to test it or check the specs.

Feedback Score
    To add a data point, I came across a Kyocera USB wal-wart.
    Just a 120V AC to 5V DC plug with a USB socket.
    The output is rated at 0.8A, and it works fine for charging the S390G (with both of my microB USB cables)

Somewhere I have a similar adapter that came with my wife's Kindle, but I can't find it to test it or check the specs.
    I would expect any USB charger with output 0.7A (OEM charger output) or higher would work fine.

I have an outlier data point - I have a LG microUSB charger at work with 0.4A output that seems to work fine, but the identical model at home will not charge the same S390G.
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    I would expect any USB charger with output 0.7A (OEM charger output) or higher would work fine.
    I would too. Just adding a data point.

I have an outlier data point - I have a LG microUSB charger at work with 0.4A output that seems to work fine, but the identical model at home will not charge the same S390G.
    Interesting. There is some variance in the chargers and that one is just over the threshold.
    Doesn't surprise me as the LG charges I have are right at the threshold. The appear to put out enough for a few seconds, then not enough for a while, then it starts over.

I wish I could monitor the output and see if it's shutting down or just limiting the output.
    I don't have a easy way to get to the output wires to attach a meter while it's plugged in.

I'd like to find a 0.5A rated charger and see how it does. I suspect it's be fine as the 0.4A chargers look to be right at the limit.

Feedback Score
    A 1MB app. That's huge.

There are different types of memory in the phone just like your computer.
    The memory you have plenty of is like hard drive space.
    The memory you don't have enough of is RAM, the part that the CPU can access directly.

So think of it as trying to run a game on your computer that says it needs 2GB, and you only have 1GB.
    (I remember when a 512kB was a lot of RAM)

Those big apps just won't run. My LG500G was even worse, with a lot more apps that were too big for the phone's RAM.
    Would it make a difference if I said that it was actually a jar file ebook? It worked on both the lg500g and the lg800g but for some reason won't work on the Samsung s390g. Let me know if I am asking too much of my phone.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkwaile View Post
    Would it make a difference if I said that it was actually a jar file ebook? It worked on both the lg500g and the lg800g but for some reason won't work on the Samsung s390g. Let me know if I am asking too much of my phone.
    I would be surprised if something worked on the LGs and not the S390G.

Not sure what a "jar file ebook" is. can you post a link to the file?

I do know the the S390 PDF reader has problems with PDF larger than a few hundred KB. I printed direction a few times from Google and included map. The larger files wouldn't load, but smaller ones would. Haven't look into it to find the limit yet.

Feedback Score
    I would be surprised if something worked on the LGs and not the S390G.

Not sure what a "jar file ebook" is. can you post a link to the file?

I do know the the S390 PDF reader has problems with PDF larger than a few hundred KB. I printed direction a few times from Google and included map. The larger files wouldn't load, but smaller ones would. Haven't look into it to find the limit yet.
    I don't know if this was where I got the file in the first place, but it is definitatly the same file I used for the lg 500g and the lg 800g. Thank you for your help on this. Apparently I am not allowed to post links because I am new to the forum. The file is at mobiles24.com and it is the NIV Holy Bible Dowload ID 98516. If this doesn't work I was wondering if you knew of a copy of the NIV Bible that would work on this phone.
    Last edited by fpkwaile; 09-08-2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: mispelling

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    Motorola v120
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkwaile View Post
    I don't know if this was where I got the file in the first place, but it is definitatly the same file I used for the lg 500g and the lg 800g. Thank you for your help on this. Apparently I am not allowed to post links because I am new to the forum. The file is at mobiles24.com and it is the NIV Holy Bible Dowload ID 98516. If this doesn't work I was wondering if you knew of a copy of the NIV Bible that would work on this phone.
    I've tried the same thing. The max allowable file size on this phone is 512kb so I had to settle with the KJV Go Bible in 4 parts. I couldn't find any other version that was split. You can get it at gobible.jolon.org

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    Motorola v120
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

PC Studio

Has anyone tried to connect to your PC using the Samsung PC Studio? I've installed the Studio program. My phone asks me if I want to connect to the Studio or Mass Storage. When I select Studio the connection wizard comes up but it hangs there. Any ideas?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I just downloaded it on the phone and it works fine.
    Looks to be a Samsung problem with installing apps.
    (I've seen that mentioned somewhere regarding Samsung)

Do you have wi-fi you can use the phone on? (It'll cost a bunch to download otherwise).
    go to wap.mobiles24.com with the browser, select "Select Download by ID", enter 98516 then Click "Download Item"

Also, I grabbed the KJV from the site http://gobible.jolon.org/

I found a newer version of the KJV app, but can't get it installed.
    Can't find a new NIV.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrbird View Post
    Has anyone tried to connect to your PC using the Samsung PC Studio?

No, no one has posted that they found a version of PC Studio that works with the S390G.
    Several versions have been tested, and none recognize the S390G.

Samsung says to contact TracFone, and TF won't support it, and

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    Motorola v120
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks ST Dog for your quick response. Yes the Mobiles24 download to the phone worked great!!! Thank you!!! I wonder why it didn't work when I downloaded to computer and copied the file over to the phone.

Do you know how to sort the files in the Games&Apps folder? Looks like they're sorted by date now.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks ST Dog for your quick response.
    Well, I'd been meaning to get a bible app for my phone so that peaked my interest

I wonder why it didn't work when I downloaded to computer and copied the file over to the phone.
    I've read about Samsungs only working with OTA app downloads. I'm not sure I've copied any app to the phone and it work. I know it never worked installing from the SD card on my son's T404G either.
    Now if I could figure out how to get the latest version for KJV to load.

The app is OK, but I wish it listed the books in a TOC so you could jump around easier.

No idea how to sort the apps. I don't recall a way to do it on the LG500G either.

Phones
    Motorola w376g
    Motorola v120
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Now if I could figure out how to get the latest version for KJV to load.
    I too couldn't get KJV to load. Kept getting an "Invalid Descriptor" error, whatever that means. I did get the NKJV to load.

What does OTA app mean?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I too couldn't get KJV to load. Kept getting an "Invalid Descriptor" error, whatever that means. I did get the NKJV to load.
    http://gobible.jolon.org/
    Step 1: Select the correct version (default is English, KJV)
    Step 2: Then the full bible (default)

Skip step 3, go to "Alternatively: Download directly to phone"
    and get the url, http://wap.jolon.org/22

I just entered that last URL on the phone, brings up just one link, KJV Go Bible
    Which downloads the JAD file, Get a warning about the un-signed app, then Save

What does OTA app mean?
    Over The Air. That means downloading it directly on the phone.
    Most of the time the wi-fi connection works, but I've had a few apps that I had to use the cell data network (wi-fi off) to install. No rhyme or reason as to why, but such is life.

Feedback Score
    I've tried the same thing. The max allowable file size on this phone is 512kb so I had to settle with the KJV Go Bible in 4 parts. I couldn't find any other version that was split. You can get it at gobible.jolon.org
    Thanks for the info, that helps to explain why I couldn't download it. I just found a file that does work, (even though it is above 512 kb) It's a Bible in basic english found on get jar. It was actually 1048 kb which made me quite suprised when it worked considering my previous trouble. Thank you guys for your help.

Page 37 of 95 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 87 ... LastLast