Page 68 of 95 FirstFirst ... 18 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1414

Thread: Samsung S390G

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WDF View Post
    Thanks very much, tfusr19 and GMan! If the promo card is the same thing as a regular card, then this is a great deal...especially considering the way they replaced one of your recons in the past, GM. So suppose I decided to activate this s390g with the promo card that comes with it, I'd get 180 minutes right away? (Is it possible to have two active phones with the same phone number with Tracfone?)

BTW, Will this phone have the 911 autodial problem prior to activation? (I know it can still phone 911 after deactivation.)

Since I'm getting the s390g mostly to tinker with the wifi features, I'm wondering what other sites are worth visiting outside of YouTube. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone stumbled on an app that will record streams directly on the microSD in the phone? If not, has anyone filled the microSD with video via computer and, if so, what conversion tools did you use?

Thanks again!
    Activate the phone first and then add the airtime anytime later. The phone will activate with 10 or 20 minutes and 60 days. When adding the airtime use a promo code for free extra airtime in addition to the tripling of the 60 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by slingpoopy View Post
    Hello WDF,
    I really like my s390g phone but as far as Wifi is concerned in my short experience with it, here goes...I purchased my new one from an ebay seller and shortly there after had to have Tracfone send me a new replacement one because of the "famous" lock-out problem that you mentioned...at least this phone so far allows me to delete
    the unwanted connections,and from my experience I recommend deleting them immediately when your done with 'em.
    Hey, Sling, thanks for letting me know your experience. At least on the positive side, it seems that while the CS is pretty clueless, they have no problem sending out a replacement phone quickly. Was your replacement a reconditioned or new phone?

OK, Let me see if I've got this straight with non-home WiFi spots:

1. Turn on Wifi.
    2. When you see the green WiFi icon, it is safe to click on the provided browser.
    3. Only after you are redirected to the Wifi spot's homepage should you switch to Opera Mini.
    4. When you are finished online, make sure to delete the Wifi spot in your Wifi list PRIOR to turning off the Wifi and/or phone.
    5. If there is a problem connecting with the native browser, then pull the battery with the phone on, wait a few minutes, and reinstall. Try again.
    6. If the problem persists, be persistent and keep trying with the #5 procedure.

Please let me know if I've understood the tips in this thread ok? There were two other browsers mentioned earlier in the thread that people like using: something like CC and QQ? (I don't have my notes in front of me.) Are these browsers still available to be downloaded and installed on the s390g? If so, would they have the same redirect issue that Opera Mini has?

Also, Sling, since you got the phone like me to tinker with the WiFi, do you visit any other video sites successfully besides YouTube? And if you have a microSD card installed with video on it, how did you put the video on it?

Thanks again!

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Please let me know if I've understood the tips in this thread ok?
    That's basically it. if #5 doesn't work after 2 or 3 tried (keeping the battery out longer each time)

There were two other browsers mentioned earlier in the thread that people like using: something like CC and QQ?
    UC Browser is the only current one I know of.

There was a browser named Bolt, but it's defunct now.

And if you have a microSD card installed with video on it, how did you put the video on it?
    USB cable, Bluetooth, or Card reader are all options, same as for getting pictures and music on/off the pone/SDcard.

Feedback Score
    Thanks very much for the tips, ST & TF! Very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    You should get 180 minutes. I'd complain if you don't.
    Thanks, ST. The Tracfone language in the fine print for the bundle confused me about the card that's in it. I'm happy to hear it will work like a normal aircard.

Normally a never activated hine won't dial 911, but with it being a refurb, it might.
    Very good point. I'll make a point of turning the phone off as soon as I'm done with Wifi, although one purchaser complained of the weird problem that her phone dialed 911 when it was off and just sitting on a table. I hope I won't have to resort to pulling the battery every time I leave it unattended. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Activate the phone first and then add the airtime anytime later. The phone will activate with 10 or 20 minutes and 60 days. When adding the airtime use a promo code for free extra airtime in addition to the tripling of the 60 minutes.
    This is also a great tip, TF. It is 10 minutes with voice activation but 20 minutes if online, both with up to 60 days. I've got that right?

So suppose I've still got those phone 20 minutes on Day 59 after activating and I then add the aircard. Will the initial 20 minutes rollover for the length of time provided by the aircard?

Also, I can't find any promo codes on the Tracfone site. Any hints of where I can find a current one for the 60 minute card?
    Last edited by WDF; 02-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST_Dog
    I've not seen anything to record streams, but I haven't looked as that's not why I have a phone. I did try copying video to the phone, but no luck. The small screen wasn't worth much more effort.
    I understand that the Wifi is not why you purchased the phone, ST, but how did you copy video and what was the source?

I know little to nothing about J2ME or midlets and the specifications for these ".jad" files so I doubt I'll be building anything anytime soon for this s300g. In a quick lookaround, it seems like the Nokia developers have done more than anyone in exploring this idea. Maybe they've done something that a s390g owner-developer could adapt for us. Any developers reading this who might like to give it a go?

Otherwise I found an award-winning company that specializes in phone software. One of their products allows you to drag & drop video files in a queue on your computer to be converted and transferred to your phone. So you don't even need to babysit the app. Just drop a bunch of movies into the queue and go out for the evening. When you come back, they'll all be on your phone. You can drag videos from your computer or from online. I've emailed them to see if it will work with the s390g.

Obviously having to use your computer is more cumbersome and tedious than having a dedicated J2ME directly installed on your phone, but I'd really like to have an microSD card filled with video for emergencies and waiting times away from a WiFi spot.
    Last edited by WDF; 02-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks very much for the tips, ST & TF! Very much appreciated.

This is also a great tip, TF. It is 10 minutes with voice activation but 20 minutes if online, both with up to 60 days. I've got that right?

So suppose I've still got those phone 20 minutes on Day 59 after activating and I then add the aircard. Will the initial 20 minutes rollover for the length of time provided by the aircard?

Also, I can't find any promo cards on the Tracfone site. Any hints of where I can find a current one for the 60 minute card?
    Yes you have the 10 and 20 minutes correct, and 60 days with either.
    Yes any minutes you add to the phone always roll over.
    Never move any of those free (10 or 20) minutes to another phone, use that amount first, then move the remainder of what you added.

Promo codes have become very scarce. Try this site: http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/topic/1944511/1/

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I understand that the Wifi is not why you purchased the phone, ST, but how did you copy video and what was the source?
    Various sources. Video from the built-in camera is stored as MPG, so I tried some different MPG videos.
    TV shows form torrent sites and downloads from YouTube. As I reacall a few short ones worked, but I got an error about file too big for anything of much length (like a 30minute show). I didn't play with the resolution or bit rate much though.

I've use RealPlayer to download from YouTube in the past.
    I normally use the plugin "DownloadHelper" in Firefox though.

RealPlay can also be used to edit and change file formats, though again, I use other tools, like Pazera Video Converters http://www.pazera-software.com/products/vcsuite/
    Or even my DVD authoring software (Nero Vision).

Note, a lot of that software is free, but not "user friendly"
    It requires some general knowledge of fire formats and video options.
    I know enough to get by, but am no expert, and I really can offer any help/advice with the tools.

Another good source for promo codes
    http://www.pbush14.com/2008/02/28/tr...ional-codes-3/

Feedback Score
    WDF, thanks for the summary of wifi tips. If anyone is interested in seeing a video of the s390g wifi lockout problem, search youtube for 's390g wifi lockout' (I'm not allowed to post the link here). After very long conversations with 2 Tracfone agents, they agreed to send a replacement.

Feedback Score
    Hey, Sling, thanks for letting me know your experience. At least on the positive side, it seems that while the CS is pretty clueless, they have no problem sending out a replacement phone quickly. Was your replacement a reconditioned or new phone?

OK, Let me see if I've got this straight with non-home WiFi spots:

1. Turn on Wifi.
    2. When you see the green WiFi icon, it is safe to click on the provided browser.
    3. Only after you are redirected to the Wifi spot's homepage should you switch to Opera Mini.
    4. When you are finished online, make sure to delete the Wifi spot in your Wifi list PRIOR to turning off the Wifi and/or phone.
    5. If there is a problem connecting with the native browser, then pull the battery with the phone on, wait a few minutes, and reinstall. Try again.
    6. If the problem persists, be persistent and keep trying with the #5 procedure.

Please let me know if I've understood the tips in this thread ok? There were two other browsers mentioned earlier in the thread that people like using: something like CC and QQ? (I don't have my notes in front of me.) Are these browsers still available to be downloaded and installed on the s390g? If so, would they have the same redirect issue that Opera Mini has?

Also, Sling, since you got the phone like me to tinker with the WiFi, do you visit any other video sites successfully besides YouTube? And if you have a microSD card installed with video on it, how did you put the video on it?

Thanks again!
    Hey WDF,
    Yes,both my phones were "new in package" when received. Your 6 step outline sums it up pretty closely,
    except that i can use either the provided or Opera mini browser.(the only ones I've tried so far). I plan to "save" only my favorite wifi spots.
    I've visited other video sites as well as Youtube and they work okay too. You may be interested in viewing an excellent Youtube video which depicts exactly the lockout problem I experienced.(see
    subsequent posts to this thread)http://youtu.be/Aqn8Iimi9SM
    I hope this info helps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C/dog View Post
    WDF, thanks for the summary of wifi tips. If anyone is interested in seeing a video of the s390g wifi lockout problem, search youtube for 's390g wifi lockout' (I'm not allowed to post the link here). After very long conversations with 2 Tracfone agents, they agreed to send a replacement.
    You may be interested in viewing an excellent Youtube video which depicts exactly the lockout problem I experienced.(see
    subsequent posts to this thread)http://youtu.be/Aqn8Iimi9SM
    I hope this info helps.
    Very nice video, C/D. It's exactly how I imagined the problem to be after Sling described it. I'm concerned now about these lengthy, needless conversations with CS over a well-known problem several people have complained of before being granted a replacement phone. How did you contact them?

I've got a couple of conflicting notes on the best way to reach USA CS by voice. Did you use any of these?

1. "The Miami number is Executive Resolutions. 800-876-5753."

2. "The better number for Exec Resolutions/Corporate is 305-715-6500. When they answer, you don't have to request a specific department. Just say 'I need technical support.' Try to call them before noon. That is when you are more likely to get through to them and not be rolled over to an offshore CS center."

3. "Ugh I just called The Miami number at Executive Resolutions. 800-876-5753...and got a guy in India or somewhere that was USELESS!" [Maybe you called in the afternoon?]

4. "The best CS is 800-626-4883. It's open only on weekdays, but they will get you the best replacement. The other CS is locked into certain replacements, and it might not be even the same model." [Is this a Miami number and/or is it only good for replacement phones?]

And then there is their online forum and/or email support. Are certain methods of contact better for fixing phone problems and other methods better at fixing minutes issues?

c/Dog, Thanks again for putting up the video of your non-delete hotspot list. (It was a very good instructional video, so stop apologizing for poor quality. There wasn't any.) I hope you might have some time to do more of them, say like showing us around the phone's video screen and connecting to flash websites?

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    My experience regarding several recent comments and questions. In no particular order of relevance or importance:

I've consistently had good luck with free minutes codes at Prepaid (dot) com. http://www.preprepaid.com/currenttracfonebonus.php

Yikes! So much information and so many questions coming in. The interest in the s390g just doesn't quit. And the solid information from ST Dog and others keeps on keeping on. I tell myself hey, this is just a $40 phone, why do so many people try to make it more. But then . . . I twiddle a little and doggone, I discover something else and can't keep my hands off it.

I've been web shopping for a new guitar, as well as guitar lessons, reviving a waning lifetime hobby. I mess with my s390g during commercials at night, in the dark. Or turn the TV off. I know, it sounds weird, a throwback to childhood reading comic books under the covers with a flashlight. Shopping sites provide lots of reading, images, and videos of their products. Music instruction sites use videos, YouTube and proprietary, extensively. The number of sites formatting for mini browser users is rapidly increasing. Opera's Single Column View displays most traditional sites adequately. I initially wanted to save all of these videos until I realized why bother, bookmarks in Opera Mini bring them up whenever I want them. I use WiFi most of the time, so 3G costs are not a big deal here. The 2 inch screen is a challenge; I fall asleep cross-eyed.

The track pad button has no distinct feel and I sometimes lose it in the dark, bumping one of the soft keys next to it. A recent comment about the cursor freezing being linked to this move is interesting. I've assumed the lockup was caused by an overwhelmed buffer, but I'm going to experiment a bit.

When I want to save a video to the phone's mini SD card, I use my laptop and Freemake Video Converter, one of many freebie programs that are nearly idiot proof. The Samsung New PC Studio is more trouble than it's worth for most functions. YMMV. I haven't found a way to save a video in real time to the card.

Public WiFi for me is mostly at medical centers and I'm able to grab-on using the built in browser and then switching to Opera Mini. I haven't run into the dilemma of needing several videos for emergencies - (!) - but I've been traveling in a slower lane in most aspects of my life these days.

Opera Mini threw me for a while, but it became very intuitive and powerful after only a few days of dedicated play. I love it. UC browser is also powerful, but so far I've gotten discouraged finding my way around and remembering what I did to get to where I got to. Your mileage may vary - it's certainly worth checking out and it has many fans here.

Pocket dialing has never connected me to an emergency number; it simply leaves a bunch of numbers on the screen and I have to reorient myself to get to where I need to be when I'm ready to use it. A minor irritation. I forced myself to use the lock option and quickly learned to do the unlock thing automatically.

Thanks Slinger and WDF for adding a new level of intensity and urgency with your questions and comments. Interesting thread.

And lastly, I've tried numerous Burp and Fart apps; none of them sound believable.

Feedback Score
    Very nice video, C/D. It's exactly how I imagined the problem to be after Sling described it. I'm concerned now about these lengthy, needless conversations with CS over a well-known problem several people have complained of before being granted a replacement phone. How did you contact them?

I've got a couple of conflicting notes on the best way to reach USA CS by voice. Did you use any of these?
    WDF, thanks for the feedback. I agree the conversations are needless; TF should have alerts about the s390g wifi problem in their records and quickly determine when it's safe to say, "Sorry for the inconvenience, this is a known issue and we will send you a replacement".

First I tried the Miami number, 800-876-5753. I've used it twice in the past. The first time the service was perfection (transferring minutes and time). Very professional, efficient, and accurate. The second time -- one week later, performing the same exact task, the service could not have been worse. It was a 1/2 hour battle just to get the minutes transferred and the CS agent needed to get her supervisor multiple times for help. I wish I had a direct line to the first CS agent -- he was excellent.

Anyway, Miami never picked up this time, literally 1 hour on hold each time. So I called the regular number and was talking with someone within a couple minutes. The first person talked to me for about 15-20 minutes, reading the s390g manual, which was obviously no help. They then told me wifi was not supported and they needed to talk to their supervisor. Supervisor said they needed to transfer me to someone "higher up". The higher up basically repeated the exact same conversation, but then told me to back up the phone's data and do a restore. I told them I already did a restore. They said, 'well, if you do a restore now and it doesn't work this time, we can send you a replacement phone'. In the end everything is good, it's just getting there that's way harder than it needs to be. So robotic and inefficient.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Various sources. Video from the built-in camera is stored as MPG, so I tried some different MPG videos.
    TV shows form torrent sites and downloads from YouTube. As I reacall a few short ones worked, but I got an error about file too big for anything of much length (like a 30minute show). I didn't play with the resolution or bit rate much though....Note, a lot of that software is free, but not "user friendly"
    It requires some general knowledge of fire formats and video options.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDE HIPPIE
    When I want to save a video to the phone's mini SD card, I use my laptop and Freemake Video Converter, one of many freebie programs that are nearly idiot proof. The Samsung New PC Studio is more trouble than it's worth for most functions. YMMV. I haven't found a way to save a video in real time to the card.
    Thanks for sharing your capture/downloading video experiences, Dog & Hippie. I haven't dug down into the browser or OS yet to understand what the limitations are if we were to develop a midlet to download/capture streams directly on the card.

Like you two, I've got a bunch of freeware, mostly GNU, to do these tasks with my laptop. I agree it is must be a cumbersome burden to first download/capture and then also have to worry about bitrates, resolution, and splitting up files and then transfer the final product to the card. Sounds tedious.

The company that allows drag and drop of computer or online videos into a queue for conversion and transfer to a cellphone is Shape Systems, located in Europe. The product is called Mobiola Video Studio. I got an email back from them today saying that the s390g isn't specifically supported, but that the software might run just fine on it.

The CS rep said he would also request that the s390g be added to the next release. (I will send him a link to this thread so he can tell the biz people that it is a popular phone with a broad enough consumer base to justify the cost of the addition.)

If anyone feels inclined to try the demo version, like the email suggested, it's located at:

Shape's Mobiola Video Studio

There's also a link to a video on the bottom of the page showing the software in use. I'd love to hear any feedback on the demo that you'd care to give.
    Last edited by WDF; 02-27-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Feedback Score
    I've visited other video sites as well as Youtube and they work okay too.
    Yo, Sling. Could you do me a favor and try playing videos from ESPN and ABC? Any videos are fine. Both of these websites are firmly committed to Flash (unlike YouTube) and I'm wondering about the s390g's performance in pure Flash. (Both sites now require non-mobile Flash 11.5 or higher to play on computers.)

Thanks very much if you can.
    Last edited by WDF; 02-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

Feedback Score
    I'm in one of those areas where Verizon works better but Tracfone tries to push us into buying a G phone - the local Walmart actually sends people to another Walmart further north since it can sell C phones and they can't. Anyhow, I was all set to lie about my zip to order a C phone, when I noticed the 390G. It's just a much better phone and a much better deal with the card and 3x minutes than anything Tracfone has in the C line. So I am tempted to trade off better reception for cheaper minutes and wifi. Am I foolish to do so? Will I notice the difference between being on the AT&T network instead of the Verizon?

Oh, while I am at it, can anyone explain to me the situation on roaming? Does the 390G not roam at all, or does it only roam at a price?

Thanks!

Page 68 of 95 FirstFirst ... 18 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... LastLast