Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 33 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1418

Thread: Samsung S390G

Phone
    LG 840g.
    Carrier
    Safelink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Only the S390 has airplane mode with wifi. I use wifi while in airplane mode so that if the wifi connection drops, I won't use cell minutes. The phone just drops the connection.

The LG 840 has airplane mode and wifi, but going into wifi cancels airplane mode. So you are always at risk of burning through minutes if the wifi connection drops.
    I see how that can be a hassle when you're traveling and your wifi connection drops! Duly noted, but I'd don't travel much.

Thank you guys!

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underlord2 View Post
    I see how that can be a hassle when you're traveling and your wifi connection drops! Duly noted, but I'd don't travel much.
    It's not about traveling.

Sitting wherever, if the phone drops the wi-fi connection it will switch to the cell network without warning or notice.

It's not until it tells you you've used minutes that you know.
    Sure, usually just a few minutes, but some pages can cost 15-30 minutes in just seconds.

On the S390G you can use airplane mode to disable the cellular radios and still use wi-fi. Then if you loose wi-fi it can't take minutes.

The LG840G turns off airplane mode and turns the cellular radios back on when you use wi-fi.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 04-27-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underlord2 View Post
    I see how that can be a hassle when you're traveling and your wifi connection drops! Duly noted, but I'd don't travel much. Thank you guys!
    I think you misunderstand airplane mode. I use wifi mostly at home. And the phone can drop the connection, not just the network. Data transmission using cell minutes instead of wifi is very expensive.

Feedback Score
    After disconnecting from Wi-fi, I still have the icon, which has now turned blue (potentially making me blue by using up minutes).
    What is the best way to get out of this "browser signal" mode when there is no browser to quit?

I've been turning off the phone and then turning it back on again, but that's hardly a graceful exit.
    (Airplane mode or not - makes no difference in getting rid of the blue icon.)

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Richio View Post
    After disconnecting from Wi-fi, I still have the icon, which has now turned blue
    What is the best way to get out of this "browser signal" mode when there is no browser to quit?
    I've been turning off the phone and then turning it back on again, but that's hardly a graceful exit.
    Turn wi-fi off. Go to the wi-fi menu, select options then wi-fi off.
    That turns off the wif-fi radio and the icon goes away.

(Airplane mode or not - makes no difference in getting rid of the blue icon.)
    You could turn airplane mode on (after turning it off if already on) and that will turn off wi-fi.

You can then turn wi-fi back on in airplane mode but turning on airplane mode shuts down all transmitters; cell, wi-fi, and BT.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Turn wi-fi off. Go to the wi-fi menu, select options then wi-fi off.
    That turns off the wif-fi radio and the icon goes away.
    You could turn airplane mode on (after turning it off if already on) and that will turn off wi-fi.

You can then turn wi-fi back on in airplane mode but turning on airplane mode shuts down all transmitters; cell, wi-fi, and BT.
    OIC, now.That's easy enough. Thanks, ST Dog !

Feedback Score
    Any thoughts in security? I run the WPA2 is that ok? I noticed alot of options on my wifi router from dlink.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Negolien View Post
    Any thoughts in security? I run the WPA2 is that ok?

Generally. Use a long pass phrase, make it as random as you can.

Turn OFF any WPS options (Wi-Fi Protected Setup, where you push a button on the router or use a PIN printed on the router) as they have a serious hole in them that allows other to gain access easily.

Beyond that you can use MAC address limits to prevent a lot of unwanted access, but you have to manually add any new devices to the list.

Firewall options and such are well beyond the scope of this thread.

Feedback Score
    Gotcha thanks

Phone
    HTC Status
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Just curious if theres any wifi, bluetooth or USB tethering possibility on this phone? Im also looking for a random ringtone app as well. Does Youtube work over 3g. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    By tethering you mean using the phone to give wifi to another device? If so I would say no. I got some ring tones from GetJar and the native browser.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjeezy View Post
    Just curious if theres any wifi, bluetooth or USB tethering possibility on this phone?
    Probably possible with some work, but the cost to use would be prohibitive. You wouldn't get the low bandwidth mobile sites and could use up 100s of airtime minutes just visiting a few pages.

Does Youtube work over 3g.
    Yes, but again, the cost is prohibitive. (15+ airtime minutes per MB of data, and most videos are a few 100 MB.)

Phone
    HTC Status
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Probably possible with some work, but the cost to use would be prohibitive. You wouldn't get the low bandwidth mobile sites and could use up 100s of airtime minutes just visiting a few pages.

Yes, but again, the cost is prohibitive. (15+ airtime minutes per MB of data, and most videos are a few 100 MB.)
    The reason I ask I was going to buy the phone for straight talk and use it on there unlimited plan. if anyone has answers to the questions I would appreciate it thank you

Feedback Score
    The reason I ask I was going to buy the phone for straight talk and use it on there unlimited plan. if anyone has answers to the questions I would appreciate it thank you
    Ask the question in the Straight Talk forum. You are more likely to find answers there than here in the Net19 forum.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    More likely to be cut off on ST, and the ~2GB of data will go quick.

But Samsung's New PC Studio included some drivers that might be usable. One of the driver packages I think included a modem driver.
    I didn't really play around with them as I was trying to get NPS to work.

Page 83 of 95 FirstFirst ... 33 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 LastLast