Thread: Samsung Galaxy S II (SCH-R760) Battery Life Problems

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score

Samsung Galaxy S II (SCH-R760) Battery Life Problems

Just bought a Galaxy S II from USCC this weekend; loving it so far, except for one thing: something is eating my battery like candy. I've done the battery conditioning already (letting it fully discharge and charging it back to full) yet I can barely get 7 hours out of it - wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS are all OFF, Screen Timeout is 15 seconds, and Brightness is about 75%

EDIT: Looking at my Battery Usage, I come to discover that Android OS is, for some reason or another, using 58% - see attachments below for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Alex Nixon; 04-23-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Resized the screenshots for posting

Carrier
    us cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nixon View Post
    Just bought a Galaxy S II from USCC this weekend; loving it so far, except for one thing: something is eating my battery like candy. I've done the battery conditioning already (letting it fully discharge and charging it back to full) yet I can barely get 7 hours out of it - wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS are all OFF, Screen Timeout is 15 seconds, and Brightness is about 75%

EDIT: Looking at my Battery Usage, I come to discover that Android OS is, for some reason or another, using 58% - see attachments below for details.
    I bought an extended life battery on Amazon for 19 bucks shipped. It's great and after conditioning I get a good day and a half plus out of it. It comes with a new back cover since it's a little bit bigger. For an extra 10 dollars the same company offers a rubberized case specifically for that battery(trexcell is the brand I got). Hope this helps!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2
    fon frenzy

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vin_mitchell View Post
    I bought an extended life battery on Amazon for 19 bucks shipped. It's great and after conditioning I get a good day and a half plus out ofit
    A bigger battery will last longer, yes, but without knowing first what causes it to drain so fast will only "treat the symptoms and not cure the disease" as it were; that may be what I have to go with for the time being, however.

PS. Forgot to post this: Firmware is 2.3.6, baseband is S:R760.01 K.FB14, Kernel is 2.6.35.7-SCH-R760.FB14-CL963624 se.infra@SEP-78 #2, build number is GINGERBREAD.FB14, Hardware version is R760.01

Carrier
    us cellular
    Feedback Score
    I also have juice defender installed. Maybe it actually works, lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2

Edit Value Martinsburg, WV & Gaithersburg, MD.
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you ever resolve this issue.
    I'm caught in a trap. I can't walk out!

Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One thing I've found with the GS2 is to disable fast dormancy. That eats my battery faster than anything else.

Go to the dialer, enter *#9900# to go to the sysdump menu. Then scroll down and find the button that says "Disable fast dormancy." Click it, then scroll down and click exit. Reboot your phone.

I have told this to a few people and their battery life has increased dramatically. Even with fast dormancy off, I have random days where something decides to keep running and drains my battery all day. I don't know what it is, but its obnoxious. I need to get a better battery stats package on there to see what's going on.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UID_Zero View Post
    Go to the dialer, enter *#9900# to go to the sysdump menu. Then scroll down and find the button that says "Disable fast dormancy." Click it, then scroll down and click exit. Reboot your phone.
    Did that this morning as soon as I read this post; though I won't know for certain how much of a difference that it made until I run a full recharge cycle, I can say that it's made a monumental difference already - whereas I would drain the battery in roughly 12 hours on a good day with Fast Dormancy on, I'm currently sitting at 74% and 7 hours and 22 minutes unplugged with Fast Dormancy off.

Quote Originally Posted by UID_Zero View Post
    One thing I've found with the GS2 is to disable fast dormancy. That eats my battery faster than anything else.
    I believe that's because both the phone and the network must support that feature; basically what Fast Dormancy does is that the network tells the device to "hang up" the data call once it's finished (i.e., no data being sent or received). If the network doesn't send the hang-up signal, the device "stays on the line" even though there is no data being sent or received. That right there is what's causing the battery drain (for me, that is).

EDIT: It's the device that sends the hang-up signal to the network, to free up resources used by that connection; when that signal is sent, it waits for a reply from the network; if a reply is received, the connection closes. HOWEVER, if that reply is never received, the device keeps waiting and waiting for it, thereby keeping the line open, and resulting in increased battery usage.
    Last edited by Alex Nixon; 07-30-2012 at 06:38 PM.