Thread: Novero Rockaway Stereo BT Headset

Phones
    Droid Razr HD Maxx
    Moto Droid Razr HD Maxx
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Question Novero Rockaway Stereo BT Headset

While on my quest for decent replacement for my crapped-out Moto S10 (2nd pair I've had... still having audio issues, along with poor battery life... about 2.5 hours if I'm lucky), I came across these :http://novero-north-america.myshopif...stereo-headset

I was wondering if anyone out there gave these a shot yet?

Currently it's a toss up between these Plantronics BB Go, or the JB Freedom 3. From what I've read thus far, the Rockaway is the way to go.
    :Add sig here:

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I bought a pair of the Rockaway's a few days ago. They're spectacular. I managed to get 4 hours out of the battery, which is great, as I only need about an hour and a half on the train commute. I was looking at the Plantronics Backbeat GO, but they're not available in Canada until June. They lost my business doing that. Go with the Rockaways. The only issues I have with them is when you first turn them on, the volume is preset to be pretty low. You have to crank them up every time. Also to turn them off, you have to hold the button for about 6 seconds. Not much of a complaint. They're pretty good.
    I did a review at http://electricjellybean.blogspot.ca/
    Phone History
    Nokia 6160 -> Nokia 8260 -> Siemens M46 -> Motorola V300 -> HP iPAQ 6955 -> HTC Touch -> iPhone 3G 16GB Black -> HTC Google Nexus One -> Samsung Galaxy S Captivate -> Samsung Galaxy Tab -> Dell Streak -> Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G -> HTC Sensation 4G -> Galaxy Nexus

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Update, I've moved my review to my own site. You can now find it at http://infiniteian.ca/tech/2012/5/10...et-review.html

Feedback Score
    Hey there,
    just wondering if you could comment on the performance of the bluetooth signal strength. I had a pair of Jaybird's and they wouldn't keep a solid connection with my iPhone 4 when my phone was in my pocket. I understand that they were wireless headphones, and had limitations, but I expected them to be able to not cut out when my phone was in my pocket.

Just wondering if you could comment on any experience like that with the Rockaway's.

Thanks

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've owned several stereo Bluetooth headsets and the Rockaways have the best signal out of all of them. The only set that came close was the Sony Ericsson MW600. The only time I've had the signal drop is when I've covered the Bluetooth antenna on my Galaxy Nexus while it is in my front jeans pocket. And that is the phones fault, not the headset. I used it with the Galaxy Note for a couple of days last week and had no signal problems whatsoever. Take my advice and just pick up the Rockaway. You won't regret it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBagodah View Post
    I've owned several stereo Bluetooth headsets and the Rockaways have the best signal out of all of them. The only set that came close was the Sony Ericsson MW600. The only time I've had the signal drop is when I've covered the Bluetooth antenna on my Galaxy Nexus while it is in my front jeans pocket. And that is the phones fault, not the headset. I used it with the Galaxy Note for a couple of days last week and had no signal problems whatsoever. Take my advice and just pick up the Rockaway. You won't regret it.

So you're saying the signal drops out when you put your phone in your pocket.

I understand the limitations of the technology, however, I don't think that while paying $100 for a pair of headphones this should happen.

IMO the technology isn't where it needs to be for these types of products to be on market. I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to use a bluetooth headphones with the source providing the signal to drop off while in my pocket.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flashPUNK View Post
    So you're saying the signal drops out when you put your phone in your pocket.

I understand the limitations of the technology, however, I don't think that while paying $100 for a pair of headphones this should happen.

IMO the technology isn't where it needs to be for these types of products to be on market. I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to use a bluetooth headphones with the source providing the signal to drop off while in my pocket.
    Read a bit closer. The signal only drops when I cover the antenna on the phone.
    Simplifing my statement to say the signal drops when I put the phone in my pocket is like saying a flashlight isn't bright, because I put a wall between it and my eye.
    The bluetooth antenna in the Galaxy Nexus is near the top of the phone, so if you cover it with your hand while it is in your pocket, the signal will attenuate a bit. That is an issue with the phone, albeit a small one.
    The headset has a great reciever, and I've never had a problem with it.

Feedback Score
    Read a bit closer. The signal only drops when I cover the antenna on the phone.
    Simplifing my statement to say the signal drops when I put the phone in my pocket is like saying a flashlight isn't bright, because I put a wall between it and my eye.
    The bluetooth antenna in the Galaxy Nexus is near the top of the phone, so if you cover it with your hand while it is in your pocket, the signal will attenuate a bit. That is an issue with the phone, albeit a small one.
    The headset has a great reciever, and I've never had a problem with it.
    I understand what you're saying. The phone is the transmitter, transmitting a weak signal because it's covered up. But at the same time, the headphones aren't able to receive the weak signal.

What i'm saying is that I don't think that bluetooth tech has developed enough (transmission or reception) for any company to be making a product like this.

Think about all of the situations where this is limiting: Phone in pocket, Phone in purse, phone in backpack, phone in shoulder bag. In my situation with the Jaybird Freedom headphones I had, the signal dropped out while my iPhone was on my arm strap when I was running - It wasn't a defective product, as Jaybird were kind enough to send me a replacement free of charge.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flashPUNK View Post
    I understand what you're saying. The phone is the transmitter, transmitting a weak signal because it's covered up. But at the same time, the headphones aren't able to receive the weak signal.

What i'm saying is that I don't think that bluetooth tech has developed enough (transmission or reception) for any company to be making a product like this.

Think about all of the situations where this is limiting: Phone in pocket, Phone in purse, phone in backpack, phone in shoulder bag. In my situation with the Jaybird Freedom headphones I had, the signal dropped out while my iPhone was on my arm strap when I was running - It wasn't a defective product, as Jaybird were kind enough to send me a replacement free of charge.
    In that case, you may want to look into the Sony Ericsson MW600. It's a unit about the size of a baby finger, that you can plug in any standard headphones into. I had that before the Rockaways and never had a problem with signal at all.
    It's not as compact, and because you've still got to plug in a pair of earphones, there's still some cords to deal with, but the signal reception on that is unbelieveable.
    I ended up cutting and resoldering a pair of earbuds so the cord on them was only 1' long and used them with the MW600's. I had the unit clipped to my shirt collar.
    It was a pretty good, if inelegant solution.

Feedback Score
    In that case, you may want to look into the Sony Ericsson MW600. It's a unit about the size of a baby finger, that you can plug in any standard headphones into. I had that before the Rockaways and never had a problem with signal at all.
    It's not as compact, and because you've still got to plug in a pair of earphones, there's still some cords to deal with, but the signal reception on that is unbelieveable.
    I ended up cutting and resoldering a pair of earbuds so the cord on them was only 1' long and used them with the MW600's. I had the unit clipped to my shirt collar.
    It was a pretty good, if inelegant solution.
    I ended up ordering a pair of refurbished Rockaway's this past sunday. They should be arriving today. i'll give them a try this weekend and post here what I think about them.

Feedback Score
    The Rockaway's came this afternoon and i've already gone for a walk with them.

It seems as though they do not have the same signal problems as I have previously described above. I was walking for about 20 minutes with my iPhone 4 in my pocket, and maybe only had the signal cut out very briefly (like 1 second) once. So i'm feeling positive about them. Going to use them this weekend and update this thread once again.