Thread: Using an iPad with Telus SIM as a home LTE internet router?

Phone
    iPhone4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb Using an iPad with Telus SIM as a home LTE internet router?

Somebody brought to my attention a law in Canada whereas an ISP cannot charge more than 100% over the price of a contract. So for instance, if you pay $50 per month for a cap of 150GB and the overage is $2 per GB, they can't charge you more than $100 total for that month even if you used up 500GB.

She showed it to me on her bill so I know it's true. This is for an ISP though. I wonder if this would also apply to a mobile carrier. If so, you could then potentially use your iPad as a home internet router.

The benefits are clear:

- LTE speeds. 40mbps down and 20mbps up beats my Rogers home internet that tops at 20mbps down and 1mbps up!
    - $35 per month for 5GB on Telus iPad means that even if I used up 100GB on my iPad, the most they could charge me is $70.

Is anybody familiar with this law? I'd like to research it and find out if this is feasible with a mobile carrier.

Feedback Score
    No, there is no law in Canada said ISP can't charge more than 100% of your monthly bill... Some broadband internet ISP like Bell will charge maximum overage fee $80/month even you use unlimited data. Other ISP like Videotron will have no cap on the overage fee charge if you subscribe to faster speed plan. It is up to ISP decide how to charge/cap the data overage fee.

Well, at least you can subscribe to iPad $5 flex data plan now and use unlimited data for 2 months. Since LTE speed is so fast, you can easily use over 1TB if you want. This promotion is good if you subscribe before Aprit 30th and you don't have to pay activation fee. So 2 months of unlimited data LTE speed for only $10.

I read the flex data overage fee charge from Telus website. I don't know how to interpret correctly the term "Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 5 GB."

After $35 5GB flex data, Telus will charge 2˘/MB.

If we use another 5GB of data then overage fee = 2˘/MB * 5 * 1024MB = $102.4

Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 5 GB.

a) Telus charge maximum overage limit of 5GB = $102.4 even we use unlimited data

or

b) Telus stop your internet after we use max overage limit of 5GB.

I'm currently use the $5 Flex unlimited data for 2 months and Telus not stopping the internet after 10GB, so we can hope they will use a) charge maximum 5GB overage fee = $102.4 even you use unlimited data.

Additional usage will be charged at 2˘/MB. Cannot combine with any other data plan. Tethering included. Additional data is charged by the MB or GB and is rounded up to the closest KB (1 GB = 1,024 MB; 1 MB = 1,024 KB). Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 5 GB.
    http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/i...lan_ipad.shtml

Phone
    iPhone4
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by me815 View Post

I read the flex data overage fee charge from Telus website. I don't know how to interpret correctly the term "Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 5 GB."

After $35 5GB flex data, Telus will charge 2˘/MB.

If we use another 5GB of data then overage fee = 2˘/MB * 5 * 1024MB = $102.4

Data usage is subject to a monthly overage limit of 5 GB.

a) Telus charge maximum overage limit of 5GB = $102.4 even we use unlimited data

or

b) Telus stop your internet after we use max overage limit of 5GB.

I'm currently use the $5 Flex unlimited data for 2 months and Telus not stopping the internet after 10GB, so we can hope they will use a) charge maximum 5GB overage fee = $102.4 even you use unlimited data.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to call and ask.

Phone
    Current: SE Naite (Fido), iPhone 4 (Koodo)
    Carrier
    Koodo and Fido
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe it says on the actual agreement it says TELUS will deactivate/suspend your service if you go over the overage limit.
    Hi.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Telus catch you if you use more than 10 GB per month every month ... don t try

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Yep I wouldnt want to go over the limits in case the start charging you or disable the service.

---------------------------------------

ipad-sim-only.co.uk/