Thread: IPv6 now deployed across entire T-Mobile US network (Largest on Earth)

Phone
    iPhone 6 128GB Silver
    Carrier
    AT&T 4G LTE
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

IPv6 now deployed across entire T-Mobile US network (Largest on Earth)

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/12...ile-us-network

Yesterday, technical architect Cameron Byrne announced that T-Mobile has completed the deployment of IPv6 services across its entire network. This isn’t the first IPv6 network, but it is the largest wireless IPv6 deployment in the world.

In the announcement, he stated that IPv6 is now available over the main APN for T-Mobile. While there are still a few issues that need to be resolved, the IPv6 service works fairly well for most services. As a result, it will no longer be required to manually request access to IPv6 services. Instead, only a new APN needs to be added to the smartphone’s configuration to make it work. Additionally, T-Mobile is having success getting manufacturers to provide devices that support IPv6 over UMTS networks.

Why is that important? Well, most UMTS devices are designed to only connect over IPv4 in the radio chip to the core network. Even though Android does technically support IPv6 over UMTS, usually only IPv6 over WiFi works on Android. The same is true for iOS and Windows Phone 7.5, too.

As of right now, the only devices that support IPv6 over GSM and UMTS are the Samsung Nexus S for T-Mobile USA and the international unlocked HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The deployment of IPv6 is also critical to T-Mobile’s upcoming launch of LTE next year. LTE uses IPv6 natively across the network, so all LTE devices are IPv6 capable, too. T-Mobile’s HSPA+/LTE devices will be IPv6 capable on all types of supported networks, rather than just LTE and WiFi (which is how Verizon and Sprint LTE devices will work).

Mr. Byrne has updated the website of the IPv6 trial to reflect these changes. If you’re a T-Mobile customer with a Samsung Nexus phone that is compatible with the T-Mobile UMTS network running Android 4.0, follow the steps on the website to activate IPv6 support and begin the “friendly user trial.” https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch

So, will T-Mobile be participating in the World IPv6 Day this June? Sadly, no. T-Mobile will not be participating because it doesn’t have the device portfolio of IPv6 enabled devices to make it feasible for production IPv6 availability, according to Mr. Byrne when asked in a private email about it.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    As IPv4 is getting exhausted, IPv6 is a viable solution.
    Frankly, I use both (v4 and v6) on my home LAN.

Optimum/Cablevision

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have been using it on my Gnex for awhile now. Most apps work with anything using IPv4 literals breaking.

Also, the data cap appears to not throttle :-)

Phone
    iPhone 6 Plus, Nexus 5, Note 3, GS4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've been running on T-Mobiles beta v6 for a while and it's definitely not perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction. The latency seems to be much higher on v6 and also the throughput is much more restricted from my own testing. But the ipv6 benefits are amazing.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    I've been running on T-Mobiles beta v6 for a while and it's definitely not perfect, but it's a huge step in the right direction. The latency seems to be much higher on v6 and also the throughput is much more restricted from my own testing. But the ipv6 benefits are amazing.
    If you had been using the beta APN, it was trunking all traffic to the west coast. You'll want to switch to using "epc.tmobile.com" now so the traffic terminates to the nearest PoP.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whfsdude View Post
    If you had been using the beta APN, it was trunking all traffic to the west coast. You'll want to switch to using "epc.tmobile.com" now so the traffic terminates to the nearest PoP.
    Yeah, I've made the clone of the default APN with the exception of the IPv6. Caps at about 4-5mbps with latency over 200ms. On IPv4 I'm looking at twice the speed and half the latency for some reason.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Yeah, I've made the clone of the default APN with the exception of the IPv6. Caps at about 4-5mbps with latency over 200ms. On IPv4 I'm looking at twice the speed and half the latency for some reason.
    I'm seeing 9mbit/s when I am connecting to my Subsonic server (it's like a personal google music) over IPv6. The server resides on my home network which is limited to 10 mbit/s up.

I do see only about 4-5mbit/s when using the speedtest.net app. But that's actually IPv4, so it's using the NAT64 gateway.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whfsdude View Post
    I'm seeing 9mbit/s when I am connecting to my Subsonic server (it's like a personal google music) over IPv6. The server resides on my home network which is limited to 10 mbit/s up.

I do see only about 4-5mbit/s when using the speedtest.net app. But that's actually IPv4, so it's using the NAT64 gateway.
    Have you tried ipv6.speedtest.net. I've been using desktop version of the sites until they automatically send me to upsale hotspot page. Called them and complained, they're clueless. Not sure what to do.

Phones
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just as a reminder, you'll probably notice some issues with various apps. It seems some notable ones are rdio, pandora's ads seem to fail (but the music seems to play).

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Anything that uses IPv4 literals instead of FQDNs will be broken. I've already opened a ton of tickets with companies.

For example, Onlive and Spotify. I ended up switching to MOG over the use of IPv4 literals.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    whats the hype over ipv6 vs ipv4

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Phones
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjohnson16 View Post
    whats the hype over ipv6 vs ipv4

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums
    for T-Mobile, publicly routable IP addresses again is a big one. No more need for NAT, which means better support for more applications.

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    ah yes, I am turning my phone into my server now
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
    ah yes, I am turning my phone into my server now
    I can now ssh to every machine I have on my LAN because they all are using IPv6. All I had to do was open port 22 on my firewall. I don't have to worry about using alternative ports because each one of my machines has a unique IPv6 address.

The bigger advantage will come when apps don't have to worry about carrier grade NAT. Carrier grade NAT really mucks **** up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance View Post
    As IPv4 is getting exhausted, IPv6 is a viable solution.
    Frankly, I use both (v4 and v6) on my home LAN.
    LOL!
    everyone is using both IPv6 and IPv4 on Windows 7 on default ... Don't think you are special LOL!