Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 90% of the HTC One X's for sale are black. Is that always the intl version?

Carrier
    Telus, then Rogers, now Telus
    Feedback Score

90% of the HTC One X's for sale are black. Is that always the intl version?

I keep checking Kijiji, craigslist and the b/s/t forums here to find a onex for myself

If im not mistaken, the HTC One X is only offered by Rogers and is only offered in White as a dual core (snapdragon s3?)

there is no black sold in Canada other than third-parties right?

and if so, why the hell did so many people import them lol
    Phone: HTC One X LTE (S4)
    ROM: In progress...
    Radio: In progress...
    HBOOT: In progress...
    Recovery: In progress...

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Other than the fact that the intl version is a quad and the Rogers version is a dual core, there's no other difference right? well, the colors but nothing else right?

the Rogers version will work on bell and telus's "4G", but the intl version won't right?

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The Rogers version is white only, with the Snapdragon S4, which has been touted to be faster than the intl version's Tegra 3 quadcore. Also, the Rogers version is LTE, while the intl version isn't.
    The Rogers version is definitely the better version IMHO.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    sounds good

thanks for the confirmation

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    IHDT56PG3, BCG-E2642A, PKRNVWMC679, N7NAC763S, QISE181, QFXRM-675X...
    Carrier
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, China Mobile, au by KDDI, Travel SIM UK
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    The Rogers version is white only, with the Snapdragon S4, which has been touted to be faster than the intl version's Tegra 3 quadcore. Also, the Rogers version is LTE, while the intl version isn't.
    The Rogers version is definitely the better version IMHO.
    Eluder,

Though the Karit core of the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 has many features similar to ARM Cortex A15 which should offer "smarter" processing power, certain synthetic benchmarks show relatively lower and some are higher than with the Nvidia Tegra 3... e.g.

PJ83100 (White, marketed as One XL elsewhere, Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Dual-core with LTE): Vallemo 2265, Antutu 7001
    PJ46100 (Black, rest of the world variant, Nvidia Tegra 3 Quad-core without LTE): Vallemo 1649, Antutu 10291

So far I do not find any significant difference in the real world situation. Perhaps, many apps I am using are still not coded in real multi-thread fashion or make use of / optimized for the multi-core facilities.

--

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That may be the case, but I'd much rather have lte than possibly a faster processor. Just my 2 cents.

Phones
    A3LSMG900T, L6ARCV70UW, QMNRM-381, A3LGTI9100, PYARM-601, PYARM-529, PPIRM-598, QMNRM-11
    PYARM-244, QTLRH-106, PPIRM-510, QTKRM-364, QURRM-485, QMNRH-66, QMNRH-55, QMNRH-71, QMNRH-34,
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Eluder,

Sure, it seems the processing power of current crops of CPU has reached a ceiling that is fast enough for many applications. LTE is nice, especially the relative low latency and still practically usable even in lower signal strength. Yet, my pick would be the one that can consumes less power. Will find out in a week to compare both variants.

Carrier
    Fido | AT&T | T-Mobile UK |
    Feedback Score
    This assumption that black=Intl version will change as soon as the AT&T version launches, since they have a Black LTE S4 version. Personally I prefer the Int'l version because (a) cannot deal with 16GB of Storage, of which just 9-10 is available for data. Dropbox doesn't do it (I have had Sugarsync for a long time), I need offline storage for plane rides, working at @ the gym (no 3G/4G reception), etc, and (b) I think the battery in the One X is marginal, and LTE will kill it. Yes, you can turn off LTE unless you need it, but that defeats the purpose. LTE as a hotspot would be useful, but the data plans are too small to make it truly useful, and the current band for LTE in Canada doesn't penetrate indoor very well. Too early for LTE, in my opinion.
    Current Devices:

Moto X XT1053 32GB fully unlocked/rooted/custom ROM
    Fido Galaxy S4 i337m
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz
    iPad Mini Retina 32GB Wi-Fi

Fido plans
    2x $56/mth unlimited everything + 2GB data

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux zbov; U; en) Presto/2.10.254 Version/12.00)

mickilq,

Greetings.

Have you actually used, tested or reviewed any LTE service and device in the field?
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 04-24-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mickliq View Post
    This assumption that black=Intl version will change as soon as the AT&T version launches, since they have a Black LTE S4 version. Personally I prefer the Int'l version because (a) cannot deal with 16GB of Storage, of which just 9-10 is available for data. Dropbox doesn't do it (I have had Sugarsync for a long time), I need offline storage for plane rides, working at @ the gym (no 3G/4G reception), etc, and (b) I think the battery in the One X is marginal, and LTE will kill it. Yes, you can turn off LTE unless you need it, but that defeats the purpose. LTE as a hotspot would be useful, but the data plans are too small to make it truly useful, and the current band for LTE in Canada doesn't penetrate indoor very well. Too early for LTE, in my opinion.
    1. Not many people care
    2. I test both, the rogers lte one has better battery compared to intl one

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i" View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux zbov; U; en) Presto/2.10.254 Version/12.00)

mickilq,

Greetings.

Have you actually used, tested or reviewed any LTE service and device in the field?
    Yes, S2 LTE variant - very disappointing.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've had the S2 since October and what I can tell you is that battery life is HUGELY dependent on the rom/kernel combo. Signal strength is another factor but there are some rom/kernel combos that produce amazing battery life, just gotta keep testing until you find one that works for you

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bellproblems View Post
    I've had the S2 since October and what I can tell you is that battery life is HUGELY dependent on the rom/kernel combo. Signal strength is another factor but there are some rom/kernel combos that produce amazing battery life, just gotta keep testing until you find one that works for you
    I've been rocking the original S II (i9100) as my daily driver for a year, which is almost "forever" as far as my phone owning habits are concerned. I agree with your comment, particularly as it relates to the modem (baseband) and signal strength. Nonetheless, my experience with LTE was far worse than what I see on my HSPA devices, although it ultimately depends on where you use it (signal strength) as well.

Therefore, I've ordered the International One X which I should receive by EOW.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    mickliq,

I asked you because I want hear about your first-hand experience, not here to discount your observation. However, the indoors advantage with the lower Freq range vs AWS argument can only go as far as how the network is tuned, optimized, geographical condition and what kind of air-interface and underlying technologies (e.g. OFDM in LTE, not in the WCDMA/UMTS) are involved.

Specifically to the Samsung LTE device, one thing I need to bring the attention is the RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator) readouts i.e. the "signal bars" in LTE mode. Perhaps the algorithm has not calibrated for LTE or the LTE relies more on the relative signal quality than absolute signal strength. I find that 0 or 1 bar of signal may not reflect the practical situation in the real world. There are places where it has very low signal strength e.g. -110dBm and 11 asu, with no bar showing, yet it can still get 9Mbps for the downlink and 1Mbps for the uplink. At the same place, UMTS/HSPA+ is either unusable or suffering from triple-digit high latency. So while it is far from the theoretical limits, it is relatively usable - and in some cases, faster than many WiFi hotspots. Go into the Service Mode (*#0011#) and get the RSRP (Reference Signal Received Power) reading. It is more definitive to determine the signal quality in relation to the interference at a given time than the RSSI.

The problem with the Bell (and TELUS) LTE service right now is the relatively spotty coverage where it has deployed, compares to Rogers. Rogers may not have LTE in more markets than Bell, but it has managed to "densify" in the deployed markets. For example, there are some LTE-only, omni-directional, mono-poles popping up in the greater Toronto area - especially in the high density residential areas - to augment the range and coverage.

Anyway, I feel sorry for your disappointment with Bell LTE in Montreal. But Steve Punter and I have found it is quite satisfactory with the Rogers LTE here in Toronto with the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE SGH-I727R.
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 04-25-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    It's still too early for LTE in my opinion. I'm still really happy with my download speeds right now on Telus. I could care less about LTE. And like HC said, it is still quite spotty.

LTE is not a selling point for me. Would be nice to future proof myself, but it's not a reason for me to choose the Rogers version over the Intl version.

I want to see some hard facts on the battery usage between the quad and the dual core. if i recall correctly, preliminary tests and whatnot said that the snapdragon would use the battery more efficiently than the quad. But again, i want to see some side-by-side testing.

And HC, what's your background on these subjects? I always see you posting very, VERY detailed responses to many questions that don't even require one lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast