Thread: Net10 "Bring Your AT&T Phone" Warning!

Phone
    Motorola Atrix 4g, Sony xperia X10, iPhone 3gs
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Angry Net10 "Bring Your AT&T Phone" Warning!

I had been an AT&T customer for years. When I say the "Bring your AT&T phone to Net10" promotion, I was very interested. I bought the Net10 SIM card and put it in my Atrix 4G AT&T phone. I had some trouble getting the APN right, but Net10 finally gave me a good APN setup (after over 90 minutes on hold, though). Everything was fine for several weeks. Suddenly, one Saturday, I tried to place a call using the Atrix and received a voice message that my phone had been "deactivated". I attempted to activate the phone myself and was unsuccessful. Finally I called Net10 (another ridiculous hold time), and was told that my phone was "not properly deducting minutes" and that I would have to buy a new Net10 phone! Of course, that is NOT an option. As a result, I am back with AT&T and VERY unhappy with Net10. There service is month-to-month, so I didn't lose much on service, but I am saddled with a SIM card that is worthless. Since I have never seen a list of phones that will or will not work with Net10, just be aware that if you bring a phone from AT&T, you are subject to complete and immediate deactivation if your phone is deemed to be non-compliant with Net10 and that there is NO remedy.

gwalborn
    Last edited by gwalborn; 04-24-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalborn View Post
    Suddenly, one Saturday, I tried to place a call using the Atrix and received a voice message that my phone had been "deactivated". I attempted to activate the phone myself and was unsuccessful. Finally I called Net10 (another ridiculous hold time), and was told that my phone was "not properly deducting minutes" and that I would have to buy a new Net10 phone! gwalborn
    That's nonsense but typical of TracFone's outsourced, untrained script readers. There are no restrictions on the types of phones that can be used with the BYOD SIM. There are two possibilities:

1. The phone was deactivated by a human or system error and can be reactivated by a competent support person.
    2. You used more than 2 GB of data in a month and you phone was deactivated for so called "abuse". You should have received a warning text before that happened, if you didn't then that's probably not the case.

Call the corporate "Executive Resolutions Dept." number at 1-800-876-5753 Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern time they will give you a straight answer and probably reactivate your account
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    That's nonsense but typical of TracFone's outsourced, untrained script readers. There are no restrictions on the types of phones that can be used with the BYOD SIM. There are two possibilities:

1. The phone was deactivated by a human or system error and can be reactivated by a competent support person.
    2. You used more than 2 GB of data in a month and you phone was deactivated for so called "abuse". You should have received a warning text before that happened, if you didn't then that's probably not the case.

Call the corporate "Executive Resolutions Dept." number at 1-800-876-5753 Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM Eastern time they will give you a straight answer and probably reactivate your account
    Well, I will be surprised if their answer changes. I went "up the line" to a manager and got EXACTLY the same line. Here is the email that I received from Net10:
    Dear Gary,

Thank you for your interest in NET10 Wireless. We are responding to your
    recent inquiry.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any
    inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

As per the conversation with one of our representatives today,
    04/24/2012 (02:46 PM EST) at 330-xxx-xxxx, you were informed that your
    phone was deactivated because it is not deducting the correct amount of
    minutes.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our
    customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience,
    our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 10:45 PM
    EST.

Thank you for being a NET10 Wireless customer. We appreciate your
    business.

Sincerely,

NET10 Wireless
    I have been repeatedly assured that this is a problem with my phone and Net10 WILL NOT allow this phone to be used on their network. (BTW, I never came anywhere close to reaching 1 GB of data, let alone 2).

gwalborn

Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    A lot of people are using the Attix without any problems on ST/N10. Maybe it really is a phone issue. Hopefully someone more technologically astute than I will chime in and clarify what the issue really is.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Phone
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Cricket (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    I've used an AT&T-locked Atrix 4G with a Net10 AT&T BYOP SIM for almost 2 weeks now. Had to have Net10 CS make a couple of fixes, most recently to enable adding a card to reserve; but not that one. Perhaps it's because (a) I went from an AT&T Tracfone to a Net10 Android, then moved to the SIM after 2 weeks as Sprint doesn't roam in North Central AR, and (b) I bought my Atrix new as a "replacement" phone from AmazonWireless ($250, no contract).

It's definitely bogus; there's NO minutes to deduct on the BYOP SIM program as it works only with the unlimited cards. Contact Net10 again, if necessary via HoFo.

My best guess is someone at AT&T barred your IMEI because they thought you were stealing their service. That's particularly true if you used some of the built-in AT&T apps; the QR app is OK, but not Navigation, U-verse TV or FamilyMap which all cost extra. (All the AT&T apps can be uninstalled.) The auto-login feature at AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots (which can't be uninstalled) seems fine for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to lose that; at least I have U-verse at home so I can login at hotspots anyway.

Sent from my MB860 using HowardForums

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
    I've used an AT&T-locked Atrix 4G with a Net10 AT&T BYOP SIM for almost 2 weeks now.
    Well, I used my phone for almost 6 weeks with no problems before they shut it down, so I wouldn't be overly confident. ;-) Please let us know here if things should change (if, for instance, they deactivate your phone).

gwalborn

Phone
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Cricket (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwalborn View Post
    Well, I used my phone for almost 6 weeks with no problems before they shut it down, so I wouldn't be overly confident. ;-) Please let us know here if things should change (if, for instance, they deactivate your phone).

gwalborn
    As another poster said, others have been using the Atrix on NT with no problems. And as I said your reason is 100% bogus as BYOP phones do NOT "deduct()...minutes" at all (that's why they require the unlimited plan); you just got a clueless manager. You should have escalated further before dumping NT.

Edit: If there's any chance of returning to NT you should PM MiaNet, the official NT rep on HoFo (per this sticky).
    Last edited by RBBrittain; 05-01-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Expand

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
    If there's any chance of returning to NT you should PM MiaNet, the official NT rep on HoFo.
    Well, right now I'm back on AT&T. I can't be without cellphone service. Net10 shut me down on Saturday morning and when I was not able to resolve the issue by noon, I went out and signed back up with AT&T. I got a nice discount with Net10, but it's just not worth the hassle. I've never been able to get through to their technical support line with less than a 40 minute hold. Even then, you are likely to get a tech who can't help you. If they are still around in a year and have addressed some of these issues, I might try them again... or not.

gwalborn