Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: FCC Complaint Filed..

Carrier
    AIO, Cricket or whatever AT&T is calling it this week
    Feedback Score
    Normally I'm in defense of Straight Talk because it's still priced pretty competitively for what you get, but the two things that push me over the edge are:

1. Potential to lose your number. America Movil is within their rights to say they don't want you as a customer, but they sure as hell have no right to just up and yank your number out from under you. They need to establish some sort of grace period to allow you to port your number out and specifically inform you that if you don't port out by the deadline, you will lose your number.

2. Uneven enforcement of data usage policies. Straight Talk sells smartphone service on 3 different carriers and appears to have 3 different limits. This is absolutely absurd - they need a consistent policy that is applied evenly and fairly across all of their $45/mo plans and tell people what it is. If they don't want to disclose the limit, fine - set a throttle point that slows you down to EDGE speeds, but don't forget to explain there is a throttle point in the small print.

Phone
    E71
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotanmp3 View Post
    Normally I'm in defense of Straight Talk because it's still priced pretty competitively for what you get, but the two things that push me over the edge are:

1. Potential to lose your number. America Movil is within their rights to say they don't want you as a customer, but they sure as hell have no right to just up and yank your number out from under you. They need to establish some sort of grace period to allow you to port your number out and specifically inform you that if you don't port out by the deadline, you will lose your number.
    My data use is for checking email, those that choose to tether, youtube and pandora are clearly taking advantage of a good thing and know they are by doing it.

Defined limits should be established and expecting UNLIMITED data for $45 a month.... be real that is not going to happen any way you color it. If it was the case these phones would become tethered far more frequently than currently.

there is no free lunch in this world
    Just how cheap can it get?

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    @ straighttalk

In the text you quoted, I specifically said that if Straight Talk doesn't want someone as a customer (because they watch Netflix 24/7, download torrents or whatever...) they DO have the right to tell that customer to find a different service provider. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm on the "It says unlimited so I should be able to use it as much as I want" bandwagon.

The problem I have is not with Straight Talk's misunderstanding of the word unlimited, it's with the vindictive way they terminate accounts. If I were to visit the local buffet and spend all day pigging out on crab legs, they may ask me to leave, but they certainly won't throw my credit card in the garbage disposal for revenge.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    +1 I agree!

2. Uneven enforcement of data usage policies. Straight Talk sells smartphone service on 3 different carriers and appears to have 3 different limits. This is absolutely absurd - they need a consistent policy that is applied evenly and fairly across all of their $45/mo plans and tell people what it is. If they don't want to disclose the limit, fine - set a throttle point that slows you down to EDGE speeds, but don't forget to explain there is a throttle point in the small print.

Carrier
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    1. Potential to lose your number. America Movil is within their rights to say they don't want you as a customer, but they sure as hell have no right to just up and yank your number out from under you.
    They did that to me last year while on Tracfone service for NO REASON AT ALL. They canceled my SIM card/service, took my number and claimed it was not available for me to get back. I had plenty of minutes and service days left. Being Tracfone, it's not like I was using too much data/minutes like is possible with ST! I was on the phone for HOURS with them and finally got a US based number out of them and they finally gave me my number back and compensated me service days and minutes they also stole. Their excuse ultimately for why it happened was computer error. The US based support did the most good of course. They FedEx overnighted me a new SIM card since of course the one I had was now garbage.

Feedback Score
    What they said.....
    Quote Originally Posted by indyberetta View Post
    +1 I agree!

Feedback Score
    So is anyone taking them to small claims court to get the rest of your money back for wrongfully terminated service? If I had a three or six month balance cancelled I would certainly consider it.

With as poorly written as the details are with loopholes and inconsistencies I think you would have a good chance of winning. Court costs in NH are only $72.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The wireless service agreement with Straight Talk does not allow small claims court suits. The other point is that the agreement allows them to forfeit your balance. No prepaid carrier gives refunds. AT&T used to allow credit for unused GoPhone balances to be transferred to a postpaid account but no longer.

15. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: You agree that you will first contact us with any dispute and provide a written description of the nature of the dispute, all relevant documents and other information concerning the dispute and your proposed resolution before taking any legal action. If we are unable to reach a resolution of your dispute within 60 days of your notice to us, you agree that instead of filing a lawsuit or small claims action in a court of law, you will submit the dispute to binding arbitration as set forth in this provision.

BINDING ARBITRATION: PLEASE READ THIS SECTION CAREFULLY AS IT AFFECTS RIGHTS THAT YOU MAY OTHERWISE HAVE. IT PROVIDES FOR RESOLUTION OF ALL DISPUTES AND CLAIMS (INCLUDING ONES THAT ALREADY ARE THE SUBJECT OF LITIGATION), EXCEPT FOR CLAIMS CONCERNING THE UNAUTHORIZED RESALE, EXPORT, ALTERATION, AND/OR TAMPERING OF YOUR STRAIGHT TALK PHONE, ITS SOFTWARE, THE SERVICE AND/OR PIN NUMBERS, THROUGH ARBITRATION INSTEAD OF SUING IN COURT IN THE EVENT THE PARTIES ARE UNABLE TO RESOLVE A DISPUTE OR CLAIM. ARBITRATION IS BINDING AND SUBJECT TO ONLY A VERY LIMITED REVIEW BY A COURT. THIS ARBITRATION CLAUSE SHALL SURVIVE TERMINATION OF STRAIGHT TALK’S AGREEMENT WITH YOU. This provision is intended to encompass all disputes or claims arising out of your relationship with Straight Talk, arising out of or relating to the Service or any equipment used in connection with the Service (whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation or any other legal theory). Nothing contained in this arbitration provision shall preclude Straight Talk from bringing claims concerning the unauthorized resale, export, alteration, and/or tampering of your Straight Talk phone, its software, the Service and/or PIN numbers in state or federal court. References to you and Straight Talk include, where applicable, our respective subsidiaries, affiliates, predecessors in interest, successors, and assigns. All claims will be resolved by binding arbitration where permitted by law. You must first present any claim or dispute to Straight Talk by contacting Customer Care to allow an opportunity to resolve the dispute prior to initiating arbitration. The arbitration of any dispute or claim shall be conducted in accordance with the American Arbitration Association ("AAA") under the Wireless Industry Arbitration Rules ("WIA Rules"), as modified by this agreement. You and Straight Talk agree that use of the Service evidences a transaction in interstate commerce and this arbitration provision will be interpreted and enforced in accordance with the Federal Arbitration Act and federal arbitration law. All issues are for the arbitrator to decide, including the scope of this arbitration clause, but the arbitrator is bound by the terms of this agreement. You and Straight Talk agree that any arbitration will be conducted on an individual basis and not on a consolidated, class wide or representative basis. Further, you agree that the arbitrator may not consolidate proceedings or more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding. If the preclusion of consolidated, class wide or representative proceedings is found to be unenforceable, then this entire arbitration clause shall be null and void. All fees and expenses of arbitration will be divided between you and Straight Talk in accordance with the WIA Rules, except that Straight Talk will reimburse you for the amount of the filing fee in the event you prevail in the arbitration. Each party will bear the expenses of its own counsel, experts, witnesses, and preparation and presentation of evidence. If for any reason this arbitration provision is deemed inapplicable or invalid, or to the extent this arbitration provision allows for litigation of disputes in court, you waive to the fullest extent permitted by law, (i) the right to a trial by jury and (ii) any claims for punitive or exemplary damages. Unless Straight Talk and you agree otherwise, the location of any arbitration shall be Miami, Florida. Except where prohibited by law, Straight Talk and you agree that no arbitrator has the authority to award punitive damages or any other damages not measured by the prevailing party’s actual damages. Neither you nor Straight Talk shall disclose the existence, contents, or results of any arbitration except to the extent required by law. Judgment on the award rendered may be entered by any court having jurisdiction.

16. CHOICE OF LAW: These Terms and Conditions shall be construed under the laws of Florida, without regard to its choice of law rules, except for the arbitration provision contained in these Terms and Conditions, which will be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act. This governing law provision applies no matter where You reside, or where You use or pay for the Services.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    No prepaid carrier gives refunds.
    The moral is: buy your refills with a credit card with a good consumer protection policy (like AmEx).

Feedback Score
    The moral is: buy your refills with a credit card with a good consumer protection policy (like AmEx).
    I didn't consider that angle, amex has done some impressive things for me in the past. I'm willing to chance ST with a personal phone but after reading all this I wouldn't do it for a business line. I'm not a data abuser, I figure this plan was designed for my level of usage.

Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Lol @ youtube and pandora = taking advantage, that is funny! Look up the word " unlimited "
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Feedback Score
    http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Your state's AG - Consumer Affairs offiice

Feedback Score
    I also filed a complaint. I hope others will too!

I don't like to constantly worry about how much data I've used or whether I'm using it too fast without even knowing what the limits are.

Carriers
    CRICKET (At&t)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got a call from tracfone head office! It was about my fcc complaint and they left me a voicemail to call them back to talk about it. I have not called back yet but am planning on doing so, soon.

Phones
    Motorola Droid
    Treo Pro
    Carrier
    Verizon Plus :)
    Feedback Score
    Hurry up and call them back and fill us in...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast