Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Bionic successor

Feedback Score
    Very little info on next Nexus out there. Supposedly there is supposed to be a Nexus tablet before there is another Nexus phone and that hasn't even been getting any sorta info leakage in awhile. Somehow I don't expect another Nexus on VZW in general though. Well unless Google finally gets some really gonads and works with someone to do a device through VZW's open development program that was supposed to open up lots of VZW compatible, but not exactly sponsored devices and has never created much of anything other than industrial/commercial oriented things to tie into their network. There is one normal smartphone on the site from a no name company that has never got one sold yet.

Basically the program exists, but OEMs interested in actual volume sales apparently agree to not exploit it if they also want to sell VZW sponsored devices. I keep crossing my fingers though that maybe we will eventually get to a point where you pay for some data allotment and can draw from it with any number of devices. Or at least only have very small per device fees if you choose to go with a single shared but limited data bucket. I think if that was the plan the idea of more open and unsponsored by VZW devices could be something they would be more likely to get behind. May as well try to encourage data overages in a setup like that. Too many people on unlimited plans now to encourage use of devices that consume data real well.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Very little info on next Nexus out there.
    Here's a tidbit:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Googl...liders_id29625

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Scratch the Nexus 2 from the list. I could use a high end phone with a physical keyboard, but am not expecting it anytime soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    Here's a tidbit:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Googl...liders_id29625

Interesting. Particularly the fast tracked aspect. Not even sure that suggests anything firm about a next Nexus though. Not sure those specific mechanical things improve much upon what's already being done with QWERTY sliders in the end?? All of them seem to be great for adding nice dynamic feel to slide, but not sure any do much for thickness as claimed compared to something really simple like the Droid1-4. All they seem to do is allow for a bit more completely open device and better feel with springs and such in use. In the end looks like something more critical for a smaller screened device where keyboard area once open needs maximized.

All in all, not sure I would expect such a Nexus?? Almost seems more like Google looking to help T-Mobile with a next SideKick more directly as the Andy Rubin past being pointing out sorta alludes about. Could see how this could make for a slimmer than traditional Sidekick with the same feel and such, but the springs and fancy linkage give me the feeling it couldn't really be anything thinner than the Droid line. Doesn't seem to make sense for a Nexus or super thin QWERTY sliding device. I know the article states thinness as a goal per the patent, but that really has to be a relative thing to something quite thick such as the Danger Sidekicks Rubin is more familiar with the design of.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    Scratch the Nexus 2 from the list. I could use a high end phone with a physical keyboard, but am not expecting it anytime soon.
    I agree with this. The trend now seems to be slates. Until they have exhausted all nuanced improvements to those and most have long forgotten high end QWERTY devices, I don't expect a new high end QWERTY push from anyone other than maybe the Droid 5. Even the Droid 5 will probably be more midrange priced as the 4 has been. If Rubin is a fan of QWERTY sliders though, I guess you can't count the next Nexus out.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Slates are hot because of the mania for thinness. This also leads to fixed batteries. Too bad that droid n phones are designed as midrange ones.
    I agree that thoses keyboards look better on a sidekick.

Feedback Score
    Slates are hot because of the mania for thinness. This also leads to fixed batteries. Too bad that droid n phones are designed as midrange ones.
    I agree that thoses keyboards look better on a sidekick.
    Yeah. The design seems to focus more on quick and easy open and close design more than thinness or concern for quality of keyboard underneath. Sidekick is setup that way for frequent short informal conversational texters rather than something intended for more formal typing from someone looking to invest time into each use of the keyboard and hence negating the need for very quick and nice open and close movement. Seems pointless to me as quick informal texting is something that is done fine and quick on a slate. More formal typing with proper punctuation and such is what is a pain with onscreen keyboards.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would prefer a physical keyboard, but that is not happening for any of the phones I have in mind. With tablets more and more popular, will a physical keyboard be phased out as we get to see more phablets?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. Particularly the fast tracked aspect. Not even sure that suggests anything firm about a next Nexus though.
    What phone would Google develop that isn't Nexus-caliber?

All in all, not sure I would expect such a Nexus?? Almost seems more like Google looking to help T-Mobile with a next SideKick more directly as the Andy Rubin past being pointing out sorta alludes about.
    Again, what phone would Google develop that isn't Nexus-caliber?

I would prefer a physical keyboard, but that is not happening for any of the phones I have in mind. With tablets more and more popular, will a physical keyboard be phased out as we get to see more phablets?
    Who says they can't make phablet sliders if phablets become more popular?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Surrounding they can make tablets or phablets with keyboards. That is not the trend plus the keyboard accessory nets them more money.
    Any ideas whether Moto is abandoning OMAP for Snapdragon?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Surrounding they can make tablets or phablets with keyboards. That is not the trend plus the keyboard accessory nets them more money.
    I am uncertain of your use of the word surrounding there, but Android is all about choice so why shouldn't someone make a phablet with a keyboard? The Droid 4 had a keyboard and launched at $200 while all other high-end VZW phones launched at $300; just thought I'd throw that out there.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would have no problem with that happening.
    With Motorola trying to lock down more phones, I wonder if it is time to abandon them for now?
    Unless you can blame the carrier instead?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would have no problem with that happening.
    With Motorola trying to lock down more phones, I wonder if it is time to abandon them for now?
    Unless you can blame the carrier instead?
    The carriers are to blame. Motorola phones on non-VZW carriers are either shipped with unlocked bootloaders or they have a bootloader unlock solution within a few weeks of their release. Motorola has stated that Verizon doesn't allow the bootloaders on their (Motorola's) phones to be unlocked on their network per their (Motorola's) bootloader policy. If Motorola doesn't lock down their phones, Verizon won't sell them no matter what their policy is.

Motorola only locks down phones that the carriers require them to do.

It's most certainly not the time to leave Motorola (Mobility) now that Google is so close to buying them out...not if you like Android.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I still would consider one but would jump to HTC or Samsung if they put out a better phone
    By Black Friday.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    The carriers are to blame. Motorola phones on non-VZW carriers are either shipped with unlocked bootloaders or they have a bootloader unlock solution within a few weeks of their release. Motorola has stated that Verizon doesn't allow the bootloaders on their (Motorola's) phones to be unlocked on their network per their (Motorola's) bootloader policy. If Motorola doesn't lock down their phones, Verizon won't sell them no matter what their policy is.

Motorola only locks down phones that the carriers require them to do.

It's most certainly not the time to leave Motorola (Mobility) now that Google is so close to buying them out...not if you like Android.
    You'd better check your facts again. Motorola doesn't ship their phones with unlocked bootloaders nor do they provide an unlock solution after release. Since the Droid/Milestone, they've only released one major device with an unlocked bootloader - the recent RAZR Developer Edition. That's it. The Atrix had its bootloader unlocked only because of some leaked files. Nothing was ever officially released.

I agree that in most cases the carrier is the major reason for locked bootloaders, but in the case of Motorola, it's definitely on them as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast