Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Bionic successor

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It would be welcome to see it next month but I wonder how much of a delay there will be due to Verizon fiddling with the firmware?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Just noticed this. Are the Moto and HTC bans causing VZW to go ahead and try and get the SIII right away incase they have trouble getting other devices out of Customs?? To this point they have never got a new gen Galaxy until well after others, but this seems to suggest they could be one of the earlier networks with the SIII. I just can't figure out why they would make that happen unless their is trouble with Moto and HTC supplying them. Could be component supply as much as bans also if this version doesn't use Qualcomm.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/05/22...can-we-see-it/
    That could play it role. It could also be that Verizon wants to get on the Galaxy SIII bandwagon early since the the Galaxy SII sold incredibly well everywhere. They missed out big time on the SII. The Galaxy Nexus, with specs that are comparable to the SII on most fronts, was too little, too late.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't think that Google wants to flip Motorola, after all, it was the Motorola Droid that put Android on the map. Motorola has been committed to Android while the other players played "double agents" making phones for other OSes in addition to Android. Google would be a fool to sell Motorola off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Google wants the Moto patents as much as the company.
    Maybe we will see something revolutionary beyond the Droid design in a year lr do?

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    I don't think that Google wants to flip Motorola, after all, it was the Motorola Droid that put Android on the map. Motorola has been committed to Android while the other players played "double agents" making phones for other OSes in addition to Android. Google would be a fool to sell Motorola off.
    Nobody can know their strategy; but the blogs reported "flipping"-- just because its logical doesn't make it true.

I agree with you since the events of yesterday. Doesn't look like a flip to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Nobody can know their strategy; but the blogs reported "flipping"-- just because its logical doesn't make it true.

I agree with you since the events of yesterday. Doesn't look like a flip to me.
    Yeah. If they protected this guy they put in charge of Motorola from being taken by Steve Jobs and Apple by promising him something like this, I don't know why they would then sell his new baby off??? Wouldn't make sense. I even tend to think the whole walled and 100% separate company line is a bit of bull.

I figure Motorola will remain a separate brand from Google, but my guess is that some aspects of the companies will do a lot more talking than they did before the acquisition. It would be stupid not to allow such a thing. And my guess is some of the overriding philosophy of Google will used at Moto. In some respects those ideals are VERY different between these to companies with Motorola being an pure internal innovator and protector of their innovations while Google is more of a share and borrow variety innovator not so concerned about all things being proprietary.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah. If they protected this guy they put in charge of Motorola from being taken by Steve Jobs and Apple by promising him something like this, I don't know why they would then sell his new baby off???
    I wasn't aware of his background; to me, that seals it. Unless Google is like M$. No, they can't screw him; they'd never be able to make another deal.

I even tend to think the whole walled and 100% separate company line is a bit of bull.
    Maybe public bull. Google and OEMs had to have had some agreed upon plan all along. Google cant afford to backstab everybody. And it is more than just phones which is all everyone is thinking of.

while Google is more of a share and borrow variety innovator not so concerned about all things being proprietary.
    Right, just ask Larry, that scumbag come-late-to-the-party.

Feedback Score
    Maybe public bull. Google and OEMs had to have had some agreed upon plan all along. Google cant afford to backstab everybody. And it is more than just phones which is all everyone is thinking of.
    Well integrating Motorola wouldn't necessarily mean bad things for other OEMs if everything remained open. I am sure Motorola struggles with some of the same complications with getting the Android source to work well on their devices as the rest of the OEMs. They could technically do more of that work upfront with Motorolas help and make it much simpler to build android for various randomly configured devices. I really tend to think Android needs to get to a point like Windows where an OEM or even end user needs to do very little to no legwork to get the OS running on some random plucked from the sky device and configuration. The fact you had standardize hardware and an OS in windows that was ubiquitous on said hardware was mostly due to the easy of getting Windows installed on that hardware. Linux tried, but was never as easy or broadly supported by random hardware vendors who would usually develop drivers for windows first.

Mobiles are a lot different in that they are much more integrated products than what was the IBM compatible PC hardware window gained success on. But a lot of the little nuances among all these different devices could probably be a lot better "known" if you will be the Android source. Even if Google doesn't help Moto so much as they force Moto to help Google, I think you would still keep other OEMs happy. My guess is they would be most concerned if Moto was getting special treatment with new versions of Android and gaining sales advantages through them.

Right, just ask Larry, that scumbag come-late-to-the-party.
    That ideology I do not think is all bad. Lots of walled propriety gardens of development tend to stagnate innovation in my opinion with each little walled garden having strengths and weaknesses, but nobody really with any extreme motivation to do better since they have their bucket of customers in their proprietary and protected "strengths". When everyone shares and innovates in parallel they are forced to stand out by creating they best all around product based on internal understanding of this public knowledge they create as a whole and things tend to advance faster as they all race for a little advantage here or there for the next product.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So what is the next result for future Motorola phones, nexus like?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5