Thread: How to extend minutes with the $30 monthly 4G plan?

Feedback Score

How to extend minutes with the $30 monthly 4G plan?

Hi, I'm considering jumping ship from Virgin Mobile. I have 300 mins with them and usually use about that much. Is there any way to use the data as minutes? I know GrooveIP is an option, could someone tell me how well that works? Thanks!

Phone
    Nexus 4 8GB
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    After the 100 minutes you use on this plan any additional minute is 10 cents. You can always add some extra money in your account and when you need the minutes it'll take it from that.

If you wanted 300 minutes like with VM, you'd have to add an additional $20 on top of the $30. That's quite a jump going from $25 to $50. T-Mo does have a $50 plan with unlimited minutes but you only get 100mb of "4G" internet then throttle to where as the $30 plan you get 5GB.

GrooveIP when I've tried it worked okay in a good 4G area. The person on the other line would just keep mentioning they could hear their voice being sent back on their speaker when they would speak. There are options you can mess with regarding microphone volume levels and other settings but I ended up giving up on GrooveIP as I very rarely go over 100 mins. Maybe other people who've used this app will tell you if its worked for them.

The other app i've tried was Vonage on Android, that one does tend to have some very good quality and is currently free to use. It even uses your own number when dialing out, doesn't work with people dialing in though. Also the free service won't last forever and eventually they will charge by the minute as well.

Honestly this plan is incredible considering the options on prepaid now, sadly T-Mo only stuck 100 mins in this. Guess they didn't want to undercut their higher up plans.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Skype might be a good option. Their voice quality is very good, even though once I was making a call in a 2G (EDGE) area. It will be even better if you're in a 4G area.

They have a plan for $4, that gives you unlimited talk to both the United States and Canada.

They have a fair usage policy that says you can't call more than 50 numbers a day, no more than 6 hours a day and no more than 10,000 minutes a month.

They also have an option to add your phone number, so when you call people while using Skype, they will see your phone number.

So, that would make your total bill $34 + tax on both Skype and T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using HowardForums
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcollector View Post
    Hi, I'm considering jumping ship from Virgin Mobile. I have 300 mins with them and usually use about that much. Is there any way to use the data as minutes? I know GrooveIP is an option, could someone tell me how well that works? Thanks!
    Try bobsled, it should work, when I use it on my iPhones edge connection it's a bit shaky but will work flawless on 3G/4G.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Phones
    6682, 6030, 6061
    6230b, v635, 3120b, 3650
    3100b, v3, v620, v400, x426, cf62t, t226, 3590, 3595, 6010, v66, v2282
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I just made the switch today. Picked up a used HTC Sensation on Craigslist.

I setup a pbxes sip with google voice trunking a while ago (download sipdroid to be able to sign up for free account)

Tried using the native voip feature in android (available since 2.3 I believe. I flashed up to ICS right when I got my phone). Seems to work pretty well over 4g and wifi.

Can't beat the integration, but I wish there was an option to specify wifi vs 4g
    V 4.62.0
    28-10-05
    RM-58
    Nokia 6682